National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, so tonight I found out my firearms are like children to me.
Backstory: So I'm moving from my current apartment to a cousins place until the paper work for my house is finished. Well obviously when moving I need to move the guns. I had my collection all in cases laying on the couch in the living room. When I was moving them into my room I noticed my kel tec handgun was missing. I instantly knew my other cousin had it because he's obsessed with it. He's 19 mind you. Well I confronted him about it and he told me he didn't have it. I could tell he was lying because I grew up with the kid. I kept questioning him about it without pinning the blame on him and he insisted he didn't have it. I got extremely ticked off as you can imagine and was pacing back in forth. Finally after about an hour and a half of me pacing he finally walked in his room and came out with the pistol in the case and handed it to me laughing. Then he proceeded to tell me it was hilarious how angry I got with him and told me I need to calm the hell down. Not once did I yell at him, but if he wasn't family I would have probably had to have been pulled off of him.

Now I ask you men and women, what would you have done in that situation? When a so called trusted family member hides a firearm on you and proceeds to lie about the situation and says your over reacting? What would you have done different. For me it was a panic at first until I asked him and knew he had it by his lying. From then with each minute and each lie I grew more angry but still didn't pin the blame.

I'd like to here your comments.
Thanks
Ricky

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Well Rocky I guess I would be asking how was I able to leave the gun unsecured so he was able to get it. I understand you were moving but there can never be a situation where your weapons are unsecured. Moving is one time that it would be a situation that you gotta make sure they are secured. Secondly if anyone took one of my weapons and hid them it would not be funny and I would be asking them to leave the property. Family or not. That's just me but I would never have let that happen to begin with. Nobody's perfect and yes I make mistakes just like everyone so I would be kicking my own a** pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You had your firearms laid out in plain view. I live out in the country, shoot in the timber behind us a lot, and I don't even let me neighbors know what I own. You can get mad at your cousin for being immature, but you are the one that created that situation. Don't treat guns like dirty clothes.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Personally I think that a little humor is OK. Hiding something from someone can be funny, but once a person indicates a bit more concern or anger they should stop the joke.

I am curious how he got your gun in the first place without your knowledge.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
20,904 Posts
Your cousin is obsessed with a Kel-Tec????? blink.gif

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
He wouldn't be permitted in my home, ever again. It's not remotely funny.

A family member should be aiding you in your efforts to protect your possessions, not making a joke out of them.

That said, there is merit to the idea that keeping them more secure, even when moving, is critical. What if it weren't your relative but some other thief?

--Wag--

·
Banned
7,632 Posts
I wonder if he was actually trying to "hide it forever", as in keeping it and hoping you would not notice right away? After all, he is obsessed with it. All of a sudden, the firearm he is obsessed with is not there, and he has it hidden in his room?

Then, after an hour and a half, he finally brings it out. I wonder if he was trying to figure out if you would really notice it gone right away?

sum ting is fishy here........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I realize it was my fault for creating the situation. I had them in cases on the floor well I went to get other items. I'm moving literally two blocks from my current place. I thought a half an hour in a trusted family members watch would be alright. I have not purchased a safe yet, but that will be my next investment. Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
he denied it.
he concealed it in a room under his control
that just might be considered as theft of a firearm.......and in some States that may be considered a felony.

at the minimum a joke in bad taste at your expense to cause you grief and great concern....at the most he has stolen from a family member and a proven liar. Dang little gray area in-between......

either way, he would be not trusted in the future and never allowed in my home again.....simply on practical joker or theft grounds.....flip a coin......both bad news when it comes to firearms......

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
1. The only people I allow access to my guns in any way are people I would lend my guns to if they asked to borrow them. ( 2 people in the entire world. Neither is under the age of 40. One I love more than I love my self and the other I trust more than I trust my self. ) Moving is a confusing time and a huge pain in the butt but moving the guns should be from a secure place to a secure place and should be done by you and no one else. Especially with teenage children in the house.

2. I do not believe for a second the kid was just playing around with you. Not for a second!!! You don't play with guns. I firmly believe that he was taking advantage of the confusion of moving and trying to score himself a fire arm. I would let him and his parents know that if it happens again the Police will be involved and if that happens charges may be pressed with or with out you pressing them. Tell them it is your legal responsibility to report it to the police if a fire arm you own turns up missing. ( I don't know for sure if it is or isn't and I am betting they don't know either. Use that to help secure your guns. )

3. In the mean time you need to find secure off sight storage for your fire arms. This child has already proven he can not be trusted with fire arms. What happened once will happen again. Before you take your guns out of the house { And, I would do that ASAP Lock them in your truck or in your car till you get off sight storage. } you need to open each case and be sure the gun is in there and not just something as heavy as the gun.

4. If he had pulled this on me and then, as he said, denied it just wanting to see how upset I got and then told me to calm the hell down... I would have decked him. And then stepped back and let my wife kick his ass for him. It's what he needs.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I would of beat his ass all the way out the door.

And guys never say never. While he should have been more cautious the theft is never the victims fault. That's like saying its your fault a rapist raped you cause you left your door unlocked. I used to think my guns could never be stollen. And then I got robbed.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
First off I would of Moved all my guns by myself separately first before everybody came to help on the rest of my stuff.

Making a joke about somebodies guns, property is not funny!

I would of done what C-D-P said......kick his ass...you think its funny now don't come back in my house again.

Sometimes family can be worst.

·
Registered
368 Posts
From the limited details you provided, it appears the gun was either truly stolen by a person unknown, or by the kid.
I would have simply grabbed my cell phone, told him I'm calling 911 to report a stolen gun, and dialed.
IF he let me get to the second 1, whatever happened to him after that is on him.
I have no sense of humor when it comes to guns, mine or anyone else's.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
When it comes to intra-familial situations, it's impossible to give advice. The chemistry between kith and kin is unique, and every situation is a one-off. You and Cuz have to work this situation out for yourselves and by yourselves. One thing I can say though - a 19 year old isn't allowed to have a handgun, so if you want to give him a tongue lashing and a severe dressing down, you can let the law be the heavy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies, in minnesota we are allowed to own handguns at the age of 18, but not allowed to purchase from an ffl untill we are 21. I bought the keltec when I was 19 private sale from a police officer. I talks to him about it and he apologized. But none the less I'm still ticked about him lying and thinking it was funny.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A practical joke is over the moment the victim gets upset. If he was really joking he should have told you and returned the gun immediately.

I think he was trying to steal it and hope you wouldn't realise, then trying to cover himself, and finally realised that it wasn't working and he'd better come clean.

·
Registered
99 Posts
100% what Popeye said. Most importantly though- learn from it. You know not to ever make the same mistake again (or trust the little booger). People make mistakes, the key is to learn from it. Get that safe :)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If that were my cousin, the conversation would have gone something like this:

Me: "Did you take my gun?"

Him: "No."

Me: "I hope not, because I'm filing a stolen gun report & I'll have to provide the police with any possible suspects, since a stolen gun is not the same as a stolen wallet."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts