National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How clean is your rifle barrel? And how do you know? What is your cleaning procedure and what chemicals are you using?

I know some clean every outing, some clean 100 rounds, some clean when accuracy goes south and some never clean. Lol

In the past I had been using (borrowed) a Hawkeye borescope $800+ to see what was or wasn't going on inside my barrels.

Four months ago I purchased a Teslong Borescope for $49.99 plus a little shipping. These things work better than anything I've seen and for the money there is no sense in not owning one. I know how NGF members like a bargain... it's a great affordable product that everyone should own.... It would be great for gun show shoppers....I see folks shining lights down the bores of rifles and what not, they aren't really seeing any details... It plugs into a laptop or a phone.

I've borescoped quite a few barrels for people and most are shocked...You would surprised at what does and doesn't work and how clean your barrels really are/aren't....
here is a few of those pics.

Odd ring in the neck area of the chamber....a chamber brush and some solvent got it out.

This is a bad carbon ring...this is probably responsible for more guns losing accuracy and shooting like crap......VERY HARD to get clean.

This is a 308 barrel that belongs to the local SWAT guy ...notice the carbon is mostly gone but the firecracking has stripped some copper off the jackets. A good copper solvent and scrubbing took care of this.

This one of my barrels with about 1200 rounds on it....carbon ring is in check and no carbon or copper build up in the throat area. Firecracking or alligator hide usually starts to show up around 100 or so rounds.

Just for the record I am in no way associated with Teslong just thought it was worth sharing.

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Side-View-Semi-Rigid-Smartphone/dp/B07TTQF24F

·
Aim true !
10,332 Posts
Nice tool. I use a bore light. I do keep after my barrels. One trick i learned is to use the light on both ends of the bore where possible. I found some carbon on the breech end by putting it in the muzzle end. I did not see it from using the light from the breech end. That bore scope will be great for rifles. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Rivervalley0311

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
I might be afraid to use that on some of my barrels!

·
Live Free
2,889 Posts
I have been considering whether I should get one of those; I am pretty fussy about my rifle barrels, but I have been wanting some type of borescope that was reasonably effective to visually inspect. That was the scope I was considering...now I am going to get one. Thanks for this post!

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been considering whether I should get one of those; I am pretty fussy about my rifle barrels, but I have been wanting some type of borescope that was reasonably effective to visually inspect. That was the scope I was considering...now I am going to get one. Thanks for this post!
You will be satisfied with your purchase I think.

I generally don't clean down to the bare metal every cleaning session...I clean good enough to keep them shooting well without a bunch fouling rounds and keep the carbon ring in check.

·
Super Moderator
11,364 Posts
Ordered. Thanks for the tip!

--Wag--

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Ignorance Can be Bliss

I used a scope on my bore long ago and did not like what I saw. I didn't exactly know what I was looking at but saw machining marks, lead, carbon and copper deposits. I settled on it's clean enough if I don't notice a difference in reliability or accuracy. It's actually a good tool to have but if you don't know what you're looking at it could be misleading. Inspecting the bore of a gun you're thinking of purchasing is a great idea but if you don't have the proper frame of reference you're expectations may be unreasonable and disappointing.

Thanks for the review. I'll probably get one eventually.

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
I've seen some scary stuff!!....but surprisingly most still seemed to shoot well.
I have a lot of old guns i like to shoot. I have always wanted a bore scope but I'm afraid if i could really seen what was going on i might leave some in the rack.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used a scope on my bore long ago and did not like what I saw. I didn't exactly know what I was looking at but saw machining marks, lead, carbon and copper deposits. I settled on it's clean enough if I don't notice a difference in reliability or accuracy. It's actually a good tool to have but if you don't know what you're looking at it could be misleading. Inspecting the bore of a gun you're thinking of purchasing is a great idea but if you don't have the proper frame of reference you're expectations may be unreasonable and disappointing.

Thanks for the review. I'll probably get one eventually.
Actually a lot of truth to what you said....I know of no one that can look down the bore of a barrel and say definitively that it will or won't be accurate. My main use is to monitor my cleaning regime.

Rust in the bore is easy to spot and needs no reference. :lol:

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a lot of old guns i like to shoot. I have always wanted a bore scope but I'm afraid if i could really seen what was going on i might leave some in the rack.
I know of no one that can look down the bore of a barrel and say definitively that it will or won't be reasonably accurate....Rust and bad pitting would be the one thing that would give me pause if I were looking at a old firearm, and that would also depend on how bad I wanted said firearm.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I use Kroil on my bores, when the patch comes out clean, it's clean enough for me.
At the end of the day that is all that matters. It is your firearm.

I like Kroil in conjunction with real cleaning fluids.....as a stand alone cleaner it doesn't do much other than lift "loose powder fouling"...hard carbon and copper remover it's not.

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
I know of no one that can look down the bore of a barrel and say definitively that it will or won't be reasonably accurate....Rust and bad pitting would be the one thing that would give me pause if I were looking at a old firearm, and that would also depend on how bad I wanted said firearm.
Certainly don't have any with rust but some do have minor pitting and some don't. Some with pitting shoot great while other with no pitting not as great. I have some old military guns with dark bores that shoot great and some with shiny bores not as great. Some of the ones with dark bores i have tried cleaning, soaking etc. I can clean till i get white patches and then put more solvent and they will come out black and repeat until white again, then solvent and back to black. I'm convinced they will stay a dark bore at this point. I have BP rifle that my dad gave me that someone dropped off at his shop years ago. It was a rusty neglected mess that i scrubbed and scrubbed till it came clean. That one is pitted real bad and shoots better than one that was really cared for and has a sweet looking shiny bore. Go figure.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts