National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Live Free
2,879 Posts
Should do anything any two die rifle die set will do. Should do for your levers alright. I suppose the seater plug is standard, but might be for their new polymer tipped lever bullets?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,933 Posts
I've never had to resize a piece of .30-30 brass.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Yes they will work fine but set up your crimp slowly creeping up on what you want. it's easy to crush cases if you move the die too much. Also all your cases must be trimmed to the same length, this is critical. If not and you set up the die on a short case you'll crush the long ones and if you set it up on a long one the short ones wont get enough or any crimp at all. A couple of thousandths matter.
The instructions should read to set your die to the raised shell holder then back out a turn or two. Set your seating depth and then back out the seating stem and lower the die in increments to get the crimp and then with the handle raised lower the seating stem till it hits the bullet and then you're good to go.

·
Aim true !
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks guys. Yes after my brass is fire formed i won't have to resize. I do have some picked up brass to load. Figured i would give the Hornady dies a try. I been using all Lee besides RCBS for 38 spec.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Surprisingly I don't have a 30-30 so don't reload for it. I think a 35 Rem is a better caliber. I would crimp if using a tube magazine. I imagine it's like any other rifle cartridge and like bolt actions (full length) resizing isn't necessary if used in the same rifle just keep an eye on length. I full length resize autoloaders for feeding reliability.

·
Aim true !
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a chance at an M1 .30 too for a 100.00. But his moms B/F wanted it.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
i am purty much sold on the LEE.....i really do prefer that factory crimp die as a separate function......and i also like the fact that they include a dipper and shell holder. Also prefer the LEE decapper system. i like the powder thru feature......heck, i just like LEE. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101774921?pid=251154

but hornady is a solid company and would not shy away if i wanted to try something new....

Reactions: Mike Weber

·
Aim true !
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well now i might be getting some Lyman dies lol. Someone has a set on castboolets.com for 25.00 shipped. A #11 shell holder works too. With the 30-30. I tested it with my universal decapping die. I have a .30 cal powder through die too. They are handy.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I'm a brand snob. When I started I had Lee everything. I had a wife and kids to feed. Now I feel I can afford better and look down on Lee. The only Lee dies I have are 380. The rest of my dies are RCBS, Hornady, Lyman and a Redding crimp die.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
I had a chance at an M1 .30 too for a 100.00. But his moms B/F wanted it.

That sounds too good to be true. Don't think i have seen any under $700 in quite some time and they were in less desirable condition. Most seem to hover around the 1k mark and up(mostly up). Even universals bring a decent buck around the $500 mark from what i see.

·
Aim true !
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah he did not know what he had. He quoted me 125.00 for the 30-30 and 100.00 for the 30 because the woods scratched up. I said ill take them both. But when he came over with the 30-30 he said the 30 his moms B/F wanted. I bet he knew what kind of a deal he got. My neighbor told me i'll be buying his new guns he just bought next year. He said he always buys guns. Has them for a bit, Then sells them cheap.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Cool thanks guys. Yes after my brass is fire formed i won't have to resize. I do have some picked up brass to load. Figured i would give the Hornady dies a try. I been using all Lee besides RCBS for 38 spec.
You still have to resize; you just don't have to full length resize. When I was reloading for my rifles, I neck-sized after initial firing; minimizes working the brass and extends case life.

·
Aim true !
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Lyman dies are on the way. Die set #3
101-4612.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts