National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Borrowed from elsewhere - I have an opinion about this question - but - you first!

I've been reading alot and going through alot of threads where people don't like the .380ACP ... because its' weak,' or a European caliber... and today I held a .380ACP and a 9mm together and they are actually really close in size except the bullet in the 9mm was longer than the .380ACP ... but honestly I want to hear from people who have fired these rounds, are they good enough to stop someone who tryning to attack you - or - if ever in a gun fight, is it enough to drop a man?.... and the gun I'm thinking of buying, is a new Walther PKK/S (if anyone was wondering( ... thanks!
:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They will stop someone!

.380 is also known as a 9mm short. It uses the same caliber with a lower powder charge and lower grain bullet.

They are very efficiant pocket guns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never liked my 380-ACP, but then again it was a Lorcin. Only gun I ever sold.

But, I don't see myself ever purchasing another 380.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I wouldn't want to get shot with one.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Having heard all, or at least many, arguments against the .380ACP, I've elected to carry one of several that I've owned over the years. THERE IS effective SD ammo available for this chambering and the platform is, in most cases, manageable and easily concealed. I do not feel undergunned when carrying a .380 - although it is not my first choice - it is often handy and a compromise in size. Just make sure you can handle and shoot your piece accurately.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Magsafe makes a .380 +P+ round that has 342 foot pounds, at 1,720 fps.

I have a Bersa Thunder, the manual does not mention the use of +P+ but a call to Bersa confirmed that this gun can use the +P+ round.

At least that's what the lady on the phone told me.

Ths issue I have with the .380 is that they seem to get real dirty real fast, with subsequent FTF issues. Not only my Bersa, but I've seen this raised in gun magazines regarding other .380s (specifically the Walther).

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
The Sig 232 in 380 caliber is an awesome small handgun. Reliable, accurate and surely a man-stopper at short ranges.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is all about shot placement, a well placed shot can put anyone down be it 12 gauge or .22

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I recommend nothing smaller than a .380 and the use of any of several very good defensive ruonds that are made for that caliber. I have seen .32 Autos defeated by heavy leather motorcycle jackets. Fact is, in all these years, I have never sold a .32 (or .25 POS) to anyone ever.

I'll usually opt for more power, favoring my .40 S&W or .45 ACP, but the .380 is adequate for personal defense.

Shot placement is KING! Shot placement will not occur without PRACTICE! If you can't afford to practice, you can't afford to carry.

BTW, there is a small difference between the bullet diameters -- 9mm and .380 are 0.355"; .38 Spl and .357 Magnum are 0.357". Close enough that Ruger used to sell a .38 Spl revolver that had a second cylinder for 9mm.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
I've always considered them as "Doctor Guns", as in EENT. That's Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat. If you have the muzzle pressed up against one of those its guranteed to work.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I agree with baldy and sig32. The .380 is a close-in defense round. It is not intended to shoot thru engine blocks
and reinforced doors. It is usually chambered in small frame semis and is easily concealed. It will get you out of
a jam with the right ammo. I carry a walthar ppk (not s) this piece fits in my jeans front pocket and is not heavy.
The walthar is accurate enough to make head shots at 15 to 20 yds. In a shoot out, ranges beyond this level would
require a whole lot of explaining by a team of very good lawyers. "Good lawyer" is that an oxymoron?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Popeye and the others got it right. It comes down to being a ticket out of a SHTF situation, hopefully, and if it doesn't work, there may not be a Plan "B".

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I do have a couple of 32 caliber handguns. The first Kel-tec 32 and the Rolex of pocket pistols the Seecamp. I had read some time ago a study by gun experts that stated the 32 loaded with Winchester Silvertip Hollowpoints was a 60% manstopper.

That was the Sandow report, or something like that, produced a long time ago. I thought that was pretty good odds for a small pocket pistol. But then when Kel-tec came out with the 380 version I bought one and have carried it since.

Prior to this time I was a major fan of the Sig232. In my training I noticed right off that with the light recoil and accuracy of this gun I was able to put all rounds in a small circle out a long distance, say up to 50 feet. I think those 7 rounds pilled on top of one another will stop anyone dead in their tracks. You can do the same with a 22 LR Ruger Bull Barrel.

My point is, if you have a weapon that has little recoil and that you can shoot well, and you get a chance to empty the mag the high caliber, big bullets statistics are not the whole story.

If you have the ability to carry a large caliber and shoot it well that is always the better way to go, no question. But lots of nasty mean people have been dispatched with 22 caliber pistols by folks who can shoot.

Give me two mags of 22 LR and my Ruger 22/45 and I can protect myself well. No recoil and very accurate, even when shooting quickly.

But yea, I love my 45 acp and carry it often in the woods.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've got a Sig 230 in .380. In +P you wouldn't want to get shot with one. Good back up in KelTek form.
I used a KelTec as back up for years, good pistol for the $$.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Popeye said:
I've always considered them as "Doctor Guns", as in EENT. That's Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat. If you have the muzzle pressed up against one of those its guranteed to work.
Yep, I always thought that the throat was a good place to hit with a .32ACP JHP round out of a Seecamp. Another good place would be the stomach (right below the perpetrators left side rib cage). :twisted:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts