National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. i'm a new member here, but i'm not new to guns, so i'm glad to see that there's so much participation on this forum.

Just a short bio on myself

as a kid my father would bring me down to the range (maidstone gun club out in long island, ny -- not sure if any of you are members) and my favorite guns have always been the cougar, the "almighty" revolver, and the .22 rifle.

of course, as i'm also a first person shooting game lover, the game Counter Strike has introduced me to the famed deagle (desert eagle), the ak 47, and the "godly" m4 carbine.

Tips on Improving Control and Accuracy

as much as i love the sport and the game (i'd love to shoot an m4 carbine in real life, but last time i checked, the marines don't take color blind folks), i've always had trouble with control and accuracy. i believe there is a way to achieve a higher number of bullseye shots (i don't want anything lower) with the least number of rounds.

i'm wondering if any of the veterans or newly found veterans have any tips on how i can improve the physical control of handguns and rifles, which will hopefully lead to better accuracy. i'm open to all ideas, so any advice (whether it be to drink more chicken soup, take herbal supplements, bench press at least 200lb every hour, or keep practicing and hang in there) will be greatly appreciated.

thanks again,
ken

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
There's no substitute for practice. Control your breathing. Find your grip.

Or, take a class. You'd be surprised at what you can learn.

·
Registered
299 Posts
First, yes being somewhat physically fit will help your shooting. It does take a certain amount of arm and shoulder strength to shoot for any period of time.

Second, practice is absolutely vital. But practice the fundamentals, not bad habits. These are stance, grip, sight picture, trigger control, and follow through. If you are not shooting as well as you want, don't keep doing the same thing. Change one thing at a time and see what happens. Try using this chart (click the link) to correct errors.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2157/1620/1600/shooterswheel.gif

There is no way to become a decent marksman with either pistol or rifle without solid fundamentals. I've been shooting competetive bullseye for years, and I still have to remind myself: sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow through......

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I agree with the advice advanced in the previous posts. Focus on the fundamentals and practice as often as you can with the weapon you choose to become expert with.

If you bowl three times per week you will become a very good bowler. Same with shooting.

Reloading your own ammo can help accuracy also. That is a step I recommend for folks planning to get into competition.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Glock27Bill Great site!
Thanks. I was listening to Tom Gresham's Gun Talk Radio last Sunday (on every Sunday on XM radio for several hours), and I heard Tom mention it.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,669 Posts
Greetings and Salutations.

Practice is required to achieve proficiency in any endeavor. Therefore, practice!

Finding a mentor will also assist in your quest.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum, these guys are very well trained and have a lot of information that should be beneficial to you.
Jump in and have bunches of fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys (and gals?)

Thanks for all the advice.

Tom Gresham's site is also pretty cool. I'd sure like to contact him and let school me on a few rounds. Think he'll take me up?

One of my goals is shooting the 9mm (nyc cop gun here) more than good enough, but the recoil is too strong for my weak arms. I really like modding it slightly to perform some "automatic" like shooting, and that's the accuracy I want to work on.

Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum!
On the 9mm subject try the Glock 26 with an aftermarket ported barrel. Fun to shoot with reduced recoil. Try a 115 mild load.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts