National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my humble opinion there is only one handgun that is tops for home protection. Its the 45 auto, quick to bring into play and a low pressure round that is not quite as blinding in the dark. It has a round that will end a fight quickly and has a barrel opening that will send even the most drugged out Tweeker packing without a shot being fired.

I own five in different makes and I love them all! What say you??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
I would say that they are extremely well home defence guns but carrying one is always good too. They do bring some power to the table giving you that one hitter quitter.
 
G

·
.45s are fine for defense. So are 9mms, .40s, and .357s. The particular gun chosen barely even matters compared to mindset, marksmanship, gunhandling and tactics.

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that was interesting. I typed a reply and it just disappeared off the planet? Thats a mystery, its floating around in cyberspace I guess! :lol:
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a comment about the burden of lugging around a 45 cal during the day. I prefer the 45 for protection but even the lightweight versions are 27 oz plus a mag or two. Its a load to carry and conceal. So I found that I was not carrying because of that reason so I bought the kel-tec.
 

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
Mike Barham said:
.45s are fine for defense. So are 9mms, .40s, and .357s. The particular gun chosen barely even matters compared to mindset, marksmanship, gunhandling and tactics.

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.
+1 How you handle yourself and the weapon make the firearm dangerous to intruders or to yourself.

Situational awareness is also critical for home defense where are your wife, children, relatives, guests....
 
G

·
I don't favor a powerful handgun for home defense, the 45 will go through 4 sheetrock walls, possibly taking out your kids, pets, mother in law, penetrate the insulation and vinly siding and take the windows out of the neighbor's car.
Self defense courses recommend police issue, low recoil, #4 buck. I've got that in my Mossburg LE pump.
Since I got my Taurus, "The Judge" I keep the first two loaded with #4 birdshot, the last three with CorBon 200 gr JHP. I figure if the two shot shells won't stop an intruder it is indeed time for the big stuff. Hard to imagine someone with two #4 rounds to the face keep coming though.
 

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
Mike Barham said:
Cant forget "placement" of the ammo. :D
I file that under "marksmanship"...

[quote:b8672]Situational awareness is also critical
...and that under both "mindset" and "tactics." :D[/quote:b8672]

+1 Agreed but felt some others may look at is sli different. We are on the same page. :)
 
G

·
whompuss said:
I don't favor a powerful handgun for home defense, the 45 will go through 4 sheetrock walls, possibly taking out your kids, pets, mother in law, penetrate the insulation and vinly siding and take the windows out of the neighbor's car.
Self defense courses recommend police issue, low recoil, #4 buck. I've got that in my Mossburg LE pump.
Since I got my Taurus, "The Judge" I keep the first two loaded with #4 birdshot, the last three with CorBon 200 gr JHP. I figure if the two shot shells won't stop an intruder it is indeed time for the big stuff. Hard to imagine someone with two #4 rounds to the face keep coming though.
Overpenetration is a non-issue if you use decent JHPs and hit your target.
 

·
Old School.
Joined
·
11,011 Posts
I make a final lock down of the house every night. I turn on the night lights and check all locks. I known where everybody is bedding down if we have guest. Our house is small and that helps. We also have a plan in case we come under attack. Everybody will be laying low with a cell phone and a gun but me. :shock: They will both be on the phone with the police. I am not going to shoot Grandma on the couch or start :--- blazing away without ID'ing my target. :eek: That's part of my plan anyway. Good luck with yours. :)



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Baldy said:
I make a final lock down of the house every night. I turn on the night lights and check all locks. I known where everybody is bedding down if we have guest. Our house is small and that helps. We also have a plan in case we come under attack. Everybody will be laying low with a cell phone and a gun but me. :shock: They will both be on the phone with the police. I am not going to shoot Grandma on the couch or start :--- blazing away without ID'ing my target. :eek: That's part of my plan anyway. Good luck with yours. :)

Well, I hope you never have to protect your home and activate that plan.

I have been around a long time and never had a home invasion. Had someone try the locks one night and it set the dog off! I too check all the locks each night, set the alarm and make sure my gun and cell phone are in the bedroom ready for quick access.

Wife thinks I am a bit paranoid about security so I do it after she retires to bed.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top