National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, am I the only one who routinely rotates what weapon will be the first one grabbed in a home defense scenario?

I usually try change whatever weapon I have on "standby" at least once a week. I'm sure there are pros and cons to keeping one and rotating, but I still like to press all of mine into "service" whenever possible.

As for handguns I don't necessarily rotate, I just carry a lighter, smaller weapon when I have to "dress down" and sometimes change for sentimental reasons. Other than that I almost always stick to my HK USPC .45.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I don't have a rotation schedule. I just use whatever I feel like at the time. Usually It's my XD45 Service, but somtimes it's a 1911 or the Ruger P89. Of course there is a loaded shotgun or three lurking around the house too. :-B-:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
No rotation, my choice is usually made by the clothes I'm wearing that day or just the way I feel at the time. In winter there are many choices that don't work out too well in summer, like a 4" revolver that hides perfectly well in my large leather jacket but prints just a might when worn with shorts and a t-shirt.

G

·
My weapon is a Glock. It doesn't change or rotate or share space with anything else. It is my constant companion, whether on my hip while I am awake or in my night table while I rest. A shotgun backs the Glock, but it is always the same 870.

Why would a serious person rotate their weapons? Why wouldn't you stay with the weapon you shoot the very best and have the most experience with? I mean, it's not a toy, it's something you may use for the serious business of protecting your life.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
No it's not a toy, nor is it an unbreakable, unwavering habit or rote. Anything I carry, I have practiced with -- more than many. I wouldn't think of just carrying something I had never carried before just for the heck of it. My routine, if you want to cal it that, is to shoot one or two of the handguns that I carry every week, regardless what else I might shoot.

It ain't a fashion statement, but I'll admit I get a kick out of having choices. But I wouldn't do the disservice to either my loved ones or myself by carrying something I couldn't use safely and accurately if TSHTF.

G

·
for home defense, it would depend on where i'm at. i keep my carry piece in a small safe by my recliner and my usp45c by my bed with my 870 clamped to the bottom of the bed frame. the rest are usually locked up inside a safe or at least locked onto the wall rack in the bedroom. i guess i would go for whatever was close at the time. i got rid of all my unreliable guns so anything i have left is 100% reliable for my defensive needs.

G

·
if i am in the bedroom its the AR.

if iam any were else i have either my xd45 or my 1911 thats it.
once in awhile ill grab a shotgun but i shoot rifle alot better

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have property along the border with Mexico. You never know what you will run into when you step outside.
I always take my .45 tucked in the small of my back but main defense is my Winchester Model 1300 12 ga. pump. It carries plenty of ammo an it most likely the best weapon you can have up close and personal but you never know when you will need additional help.
I have encouraged illegals looking for a ride (not in my car/truck) to leave. If they don't leave quickly a round just over their heads works.
My wife keeps her .357 along side when I am not home and we do have other handguns in the home that are loaded.
We are #1 in the country for both illegals and drug running unfortunately. Lots of federal property along the border for them to come into the country.
My neighbor was challenged when he tried to stop them from taking his old truck. They threatened him with a knife and he shot at them and they ran. There were about 8 as near as he could count in the night.
We have also had people, particularly women, attacked in rural areas like where I live while getting into their cars on occasion. They want to get a ride to get out the this area where the feds are thick looking for them. It pays to be safe.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Mike Barham said:
My weapon is a Glock. It doesn't change or rotate or share space with anything else. It is my constant companion, whether on my hip while I am awake or in my night table while I rest. A shotgun backs the Glock, but it is always the same 870.

Why would a serious person rotate their weapons? Why wouldn't you stay with the weapon you shoot the very best and have the most experience with? I mean, it's not a toy, it's something you may use for the serious business of protecting your life.

I always use the same weapons for defense in my home. A Kimber 45 acp that I can shoot well and a 38 special for my wife, with those fun little nyclad hollowpoints that sting so well.

I do my practice rotation at the range, since I do not shoot some of my guns as well!

G

·
big dutchman said:
for home defense, it would depend on where i'm at. i keep my carry piece in a small safe by my recliner and my usp45c by my bed with my 870 clamped to the bottom of the bed frame. the rest are usually locked up inside a safe or at least locked onto the wall rack in the bedroom. i guess i would go for whatever was close at the time. i got rid of all my unreliable guns so anything i have left is 100% reliable for my defensive needs.
=================================================================================

+1 big dutchman. We have a large house since we raised four kids and now have three grandchildren. There are no firearms in the bedrooms except ours. Wifey's bedside table houses a .32 H&R mag revolver and a Ruger single six in .22 mag birdshot.
My bedside has the new Taurus "the Judge, first two rounds #4, remaining three CorBon+P. Under my side of the bed is my Mossberg LE pump, 5+1 with #4 buck. In the den our oversized sofa has a center armrest with cupholders. Underneath is my carry, Glock 26 with Hydra Shok 124 +P+. In the kitched covered by a hot mitten is the Sig 230 in .380 90 gr HydraShoks.
In my desk in the foyer is my Ruger GP100, First round .38 birdshot, remainder Federal 180 gr JHP.

In the garage is my Ruger .45 cowboy loaded with CorBon 200 gr JHP.

All three entrance doors are deadbolt, solid wood. All windows are sealed due to wifey's severe alergies. All have audible contact alarms. Ya'll come, ya heah. :---

1 - 12 of 12 Posts