National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the preferred weapon protocol for home defense? I live in a two-story home where the 2nd floor master bedroom has an unobstructed view of the top of the stairs leading from the 1st floor to the 2nd. There is even a small alcove in front of the door which would provide excellent cover for me or my wife (armed and ready, of course). I presently have a 12ga. riot gun in an easily reached corner of my closet, which, in turn is just inside the door to the hallway. I have lately taken to securing my .38 cal. Charter Arms Undercover and my Browning Hi-Power in a locked case on the 3rd floor (formerly maid's quarters). The house is alarmed and security-gated; I am confident the sounds of any home invasion attempts would give ample time to retreat to the bedroom, retrieve the riot gun and cover the stairs while using a cell-'phone to dial 911. The question in my mind is whether I should also have the 9mm loaded and nearby, too.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I always like to keep my loaded firearms close to where I sleep in my home. They are locked up during the day. The 12 gauge is a great defensive weapon but can be a bit cumbersome in the confines of a hallway. I choose a 1911 45 acp for my primary defensive weapon.

You did not say whether you had children in the house or not. That can make a big difference as to how you go about setting up a defensive plan in the event that someone breaks into you home at night. Of course firearms must be locked up but accessible by you quickly to prevent the children or their friends from gaining access to them in the event you are not around.

I would want a handgun and/or the shotgun within easy reach at night but locked up during the day. A gun safe in the bedroom with a keypad entry would have your firearms ready quickly. The door of the safe can be open at night and locked during the day. Keypad entry is quick, when the safe is locked, a few seconds at most.

In most cases your handgun can be easier to bring into play when things go bump in the night. The shotgun can be an awesome backup.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got only one gun for home defense: Remington 870 modified to my preference for comfort and ease of carrying. Front and rear pistol grips with a side saddle holding an extra 6 rounds in case things get 'hairy'. It's locked up at all times during the day and stays with a full tube next to my bed at night. With the double pistol grips, it's a very maneuverable counterpart to a pistol. Thinking of getting the pistol grip 410 870 to go along with it since the 410 version is light enough to use as a pistol and would do a lot less damage to my home if anything ever were to happen :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer the Charter .44 spl bulldog. The second is the small bersa .380.
Both good in close quarters.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Bulldog said:
I prefer the Charter .44 spl bulldog. The second is the small bersa .380.
Both good in close quarters.

That little Charter 44 special is a very good choice for home defense. I have some fun Cor-bon 44 special loads that work well for defense in that sleeper. Big bullets with hollow-points can be a superb bad guy deterrent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some good posts and ideas: I'd like to add that collateral damage should always be a factor to consider. Those big cannons can go through multiple sheet rock walls and harm children, guests, etc several rooms away. Also through non masonry exterior walls and take out your neighbors. Consider frangible loads.

A tip from law enforcement: In GA the standard for cruiser shotguns is #4 buck. Takes out a BG in a heartbeat but doesn't go through his vehicle, a gas pump and take out the clerk in the convenience store.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally have a mossberg 500 12g for backup, but my primary home defense is browing hp 9mm. I trust that gun not only because it has proven its self over many decades but because it has proven it self to me at the range over and over, thousands of rounds throught it and no issues at all it is also my favorite piece.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Home Defense

Your shotgun is the best tool you've listed for home defense. If you know someone is in your house, the best choice is to strongpoint by your bedroom, call the cops, and wait for them to do their jobs. I know, it's not the manly thing to do, and everybody online is a highly trained "operator", but I've done enough live building entries to know it's not something that should be done alone unless there is no other alternative. Once you've called the cops, stay on the line with them, and let the intruder know loudly that you've called the police and they are on their way. that way, "when the balloon goes up at o'dark thirty and you do a Mozambique on the perp", there is a recording of your warning for use in criminal and civil proceedings.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Your shotgun is the best tool you've listed for home defense. If you know someone is in your house, the best choice is to strongpoint by your bedroom, call the cops, and wait for them to do their jobs. I know, it's not the manly thing to do, and everybody online is a highly trained "operator", but I've done enough live building entries to know it's not something that should be done alone unless there is no other alternative. Once you've called the cops, stay on the line with them, and let the intruder know loudly that you've called the police and they are on their way. that way, "when the balloon goes up at o'dark thirty and you do a Mozambique on the perp", there is a recording of your warning for use in criminal and civil proceedings.
I've also heard that it's a good idea to keep an extra set of keys in your bdroom, attached to a glo-stick.

When the cops arrive, break the stick so they can find the keys in the dark, and throw the keys out to them so they can get inside.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glock27bill

Finally, someone else who has heard this. I don't have this as part of my kit, but I can see the benefits of this.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
You have a good advantage being able to cover the stairs. Having both a shotgun and handgun available is good too. I have a 12 gauge and a 45 on my side and my wife has a 9 on her side. We also have three fury alarms. One of them is very big too.

There really isn't any set protacol to which weapons you should have. Run different scenarios in your head. Place weapons in positions that make you feel the most secure. If someone does break down your door in the middle of the night and is heading up your stairs with heavy footsteps muttering about the horrible things he is going to do to you, you will be scared. That's normal. I think at that point the most comforting thing you could reasonably have is that shotty. Buckshot is awesome and powerful.
However if you need to check out the house for some reason it might be handier to take the pistol. Have the wife back you or hold the bedroom with the shotgun.

·
1911 addict
1,040 Posts
I keep a Remington 870 at the ready along with a 1911 .45acp . My girlfriend has a 9mm handy as well. we have 4 small children in the house (ages 5,4,3&1) so we have a game plan in place with back up measures already discussed. My home is not really all that big but is very defensable. Kids are kept up to date and regularly quizzed on our "emergency plan" as well.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a Glock 30 on my bedside loaded with Hollow Points. It's the same gun I carry, goes from my hip to my desk at night and in the car with me.... it pretty much is never out of reach. I wouldn't trust any other make of gun with my life, but that's just me. and i know the .45 has the muzzle energy and weight to drop whomever it hits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts