National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is 14, and often stays at home alone when my hubby and I go out, either shooting for the day, to dinner, or whatever. The other day she was reading something on the internet about some crazed neighbor breaking into a house, raping and murdering the young occupant, all the while her parents had guns, albeit locked in the house.

Her questions is: Can't I keep a gun unlocked for her when we go out. My initial response is one of legality - NC Law states all guns have to be locked in a home with children under 18. She has, however, been to the range with us on many occasions, knows the rules about safe operation, and I think is very capable when it comes to handling a firearm.

Now, at the range she is more familiar, and likes, the Beretta .25. That would be the gun she wants to have accessible. Is it sufficient as a self-defense gun?

What are your thoughts? I would hate her to ever be in a position where she needs to defend herself and is unable to do so......

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
NC is one of the worst states in the union to defend a righteous self-defense shoot. Their under-18 rule is a clear violation of your parental rights, and although I understand that many parents have abdicated their responsibility and need for the state to tell them how to raise and protect kids, you and your husband have done your job right.

I have always subscribed to the old adage, that I’d rather be “Judged by twelve than carried by six”. I also couldn’t live with myself if something happened to my kids while I was gone because I followed the law instead of doing what I know is right. Have you ever seen or heard Susan Gratia Hupp, who left her legal and licensed handgun in her car, as the law then required, before going into Luby’s Cafeteria in Waco, Texas back in 1993? I’m searching for the video I have of her description of the events that followed, in which her mother and father were brutally killed by a madman who had driven his truck through the front window. She followed the letter of the law.

Each of our kids (1 boy & 1 girl) was an absolute handful growing up. We sweated it every time they were out and about on their own. But we were completely confident with each of them when they had a firearm in their hands. With all of the hassles of growing up, they each took personal defense and firearms safety with the grave seriousness that they needed to. When we left for an evening or a weekend, we knew they would do the right thing.

Having said all that, I do not think a .25 is sufficient for self defense, but it beats the heck out of having nothing.

G

·
very simple, you have to do what is nessesary to protect your family. however i have my doubts about the ability of a 25cal pistol for defensive purposes. how about a long gun? i think i would move towards a shotgun or rifle. even a small bore shotgun would serve the purpose of home defense better than such a small caliber handgun.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I hate to say it but this would be one law I would be willing to break. If she is a competent and safe with firearms then I would have no problem having protection available to her. As far as a .25 for defense, it would not be my first choice but it is better then nothing. The most important thing is to leave her with something that she is comfortable and familiar with using.

-Derek

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Here is reality. She shoots a guy. Shes going to jail or going to have major court problems.........

What to do? Im not giving ANY advice....

Sorry. Too much of a touchy subject. Ask a lawyer...

G

·
I have a 15-year-old daughter whom I trust implicitly with any of my firearms, and she has a couple of .22 rifles of her own. I do not, however, trust her friends, so we do not leave any guns unsecured when my wife and/or I are not home.

We have good locks on solid doors, a dog, pepper spray, and she has a cell phone (in addition to the house phone) and knows how to dial 911. She's smart and knows not to open the door for strangers.

The chances of one of her friends doing something stupid with an unsecured gun are vastly higher than us being targeted for a random home invasion.

G

·
Any non firearm will do the trick, I.E. taser, mase, baton, baseball bat.
It also does not hurt when teh know the code too the gun safe :)
I keep a small safe upstairs with my .38 snub and a speed loader than my son know the code to.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last night I did some research into this matter and this is what I found. According to BATFE, the Youth Handgun Safety Act allows for juvenile to be in possession of a handgun, when:

“the possession of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile is taken in defense of the juvenile or other persons against an intruder into the residence of the juvenile or a residence in which the juvenile is an invited guest.”

Seems like a good enough answer for me! We do have a dog, and I believe she would defend our daughter to the death, but she's old! And I want her to have something that would allow her to defend herself before anyone gets too close. I think we need to get her to shoot the 12ga. Just once so that she is prepared for how it feels.........

Thanks for all your repliess! ;)

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
My guns were always locked up when my son was in the house. Safe, always locked when we are gone. Its not worth the risk, in my opinion.

That said, I grew up on a farm in the country. All the shotguns, rifles were in the cloak room and the ammo on a shelf above the guns. We were in an isolated area a mile or so from the nearist neighbor. Never touched the guns when the parents were not around. A dfferent time in our nation when we had a lot less crime and a lot less fear of firearms.

I do think its a lot more difficult for a teen to have an accident with a 22 rifle or a single shot 20 guage! All I will say about the subject!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Just FYI, if the BATFe rules conflict with the state law as far as the age of the juvenile, it won't matter. Worst case, you'll still catch hell from the state. If your state has the "zero tolerance" mentality, which is stupid but rapidly spreading, you'll have a legal fight on your hands.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gunrnr said:
Just FYI, if the BATFe rules conflict with the state law as far as the age of the juvenile, it won't matter. Worst case, you'll still catch hell from the state. If your state has the "zero tolerance" mentality, which is stupid but rapidly spreading, you'll have a legal fight on your hands.
DAMN!!! I'll have to look into that. I thought that would override state.......... :x

G

·
SheNine said:
gunrnr said:
DAMN!!! I'll have to look into that. I thought that would override state.......... :x
A Wise man on this form told me once...."Better To Be Judged By 12 then Carried By 6" Make up ur own Mind "Ms" For ur families sake u,ll make the right call, this is just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
leeindy said:
im not going to advocate breaking the law.

if you trust her...................................
My 19 year old Daughter lives wth me. She likes to go to the range or out to the farm & shoot with me. I bought a XD45 Service for her to use, she shoots most of my pistols & picked the XD45. She knows gun safety & I trust her with anything I own. She dose not take the weapon out by herself, nor does she show it any of her friends. She can get to it easily if needed, she can load it & keep it near by when she is home alone if she want's to. Earlier this year, a very good friend of hers was kidnaped, raped & murdered by one of our hometown boys. Of course in our little town of 15,000 people, things like this just don't happen. I would rather let my Daughter have a chance of defending herself than to let some scumbag punk harm her in anyway.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
kansas45 said:
leeindy said:
im not going to advocate breaking the law.

if you trust her...................................
My 19 year old Daughter lives wth me. She likes to go to the range or out to the farm & shoot with me. I bought a XD45 Service for her to use, she shoots most of my pistols & picked the XD45. She knows gun safety & I trust her with anything I own. She dose not take the weapon out by herself, nor does she show it any of her friends. She can get to it easily if needed, she can load it & keep it near by when she is home alone if she want's to. Earlier this year, a very good friend of hers was kidnaped, raped & murdered by one of our hometown boys. Of course in our little town of 15,000 people, things like this just don't happen. I would rather let my Daughter have a chance of defending herself than to let some scumbag punk harm her in anyway.

I agree 100%. :-B-:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Ab So Lute LY! As I said, for all the challenges we had with our kids, growing up, they took firearms use and safety dead seriously. That includes firearms home security, as well, to include showing off firearms to their friends (or even mentioning them).

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I'm not walking on your thread, SheNine, but I wanted to let you know that I posted the video of Ms. Gratia-Hupp's testimony before Congress. I'm not certain that it's working right (I've never posted a video before), so if it doesn't work, PM me and I'll send a copy when I return. I will be in Denver for the next several days.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts