National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the discussions on this and other forums all the time about what is the best selection for a home defense weapon.

But I wonder! For years I fired my Ruger and High Standard autos in NRA bullseye competition and got very skilled in keeping all ten rounds of my magazine in a tight little hole in the center of the bullseye at 25 yards.

So in a home defense situation you have a weapon that has little recoil and that you shoot often, are very familiar with and can put a full magazine in a tight pattern. It almost appears to be a better choice than a firearm that will blind you in the dark after one shot, has lots of muzzle flip or recoil, and prints in a larger pattern if you have ideal conditions.

You can build a case that the 22 is actually the better choice for the expert shooter in a home enviorment. Given the average type of home invasion by a single or two individuals.

Anyone agree? Or am I out on a limb??

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I can see your argument, and somewhat agree with it. But not totally.

BREVARD, Jan. 19, 2008 – Retired Army Green Beret Smokey Taylor got his court martial this weekend and came away feeling good about it.
Taylor, at age 80 the oldest member of Chapter XXXIII of the Special Forces Association, was on trial by his peers under the charge of “failing to use a weapon of sufficient caliber” in the shooting of an intruder at his home in Knoxville, TN, in December.
The entire affair, of course, was very much tongue in cheek. Taylor had been awakened in the early morning hours of Dec. 17, 2007, when an intruder broke into his home. He investigated the noises with one of his many weapons in hand.
When the intruder threatened him with a knife, Taylor warned him, then brought his .22 caliber pistol to bear and shot him right between the eyes.
“That boy had the hardest head I’ve ever seen,” Taylor said after his trial. “The bullet bounced right off.” The impact knocked the would-be thief down momentarily. He crawled out of the room then got up and ran out the door and down the street. Knoxville police apprehended him a few blocks away and he now awaits trial in the Knox County jail.​
The charges against Taylor were considered to be serious. He is a retired Special Forces Weapons Sergeant with extensive combat experience during the wars in Korea and Vietnam.
“Charges were brought against him under the premise that he should have saved the county and taxpayers the expense of a trial,” said Chapter XXXIII President Bill Long of Asheville. “He could have used a .45 or .38. The .22 just wasn’t big enough to get the job done.”​
Taylor’s defense attorney, another retired Weapons Sergeant, disagreed. He said Taylor had done the right thing in choosing to arm himself with a .22.
“If he’d used a .45 or something like that the round would have gone right through the perp, the wall, the neighbor’s wall and possibly injured some innocent child asleep in its bed,” he said. “I believe the evidence shows that Smokey Taylor exercised excellent judgment in his choice of weapons. He did nothing wrong, and clearly remains to this day an excellent weapons man.”​
Counsel for the defense then floated a theory as to why the bullet bounced off the perp’s forehead.
“He was victimized by old ammunition,” he said, “just as he was in Korea and again in Vietnam, when his units were issued ammo left over from World War II.”​
Taylor said nothing in his own defense, choosing instead to allow his peers to debate the matter. After the trial he said the ammunition was indeed old and added the new information that the perp had soiled his pants as he crawled out of the house.
“I would have had an even worse mess to clean up if it had gone through his forehead,” Taylor said. “It was good for both of us that it didn’t.”​
Following testimony from both sides, Taylor was acquitted of the charges and was given a round of applause.
Meanwhile, back in Knox County, the word is out: Don’t go messing with Smokey Taylor. He just bought a whole bunch of fresh ammo.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a funny story "CDP" and raises another good point in the defense of the 22 caliber home defense weapon. Its not going to penetrate a lot of interior and exterior walls and shoot the neighbors kids in the process of expelling its energy.

A trained shooter with a 22 target handgun is a lot more effective than most of the non-shooters that own larger caliber guns in the home for protection.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
A trained shooter with a 22 target handgun is a lot more effective than most of the non-shooters that own larger caliber guns in the home for protection.
This I totally agree with. And as I have always said. I .22lr to the chest is and will always be better than a miss with a .50AE.

G

·
.22 for home defence

I bought my daughter a cheap 9mm, and then a Beretta .380. I thought she had the "perfect"
gun, until she told me she could not pull the slide back and a lot of good it would do her for home defense! So I immediately gave her my Ruger Single Six after she fired it at the range and she can hit 4 inch groups at 10 yards with it and it is ready to fire if she needs it at home. One guy told me, what criminal will when being fired upon say that it's only a .22 and keep coming? I will buy my daughter a Smith and Wesson 317 .22 soon, or something similar so she can reload it quicker and it will have 8 rounds. Just knowing that the weapon you have in your drawer is accurate and ready to go makes you sleep better at night. She also saw my autos feed jamming at the range and decided she wanted a revolver and not an automatic.
She has a friend that is a sheriff and she has told her horror stories about autos doing "dangerous" things when fired so if a revolver makes her feels safer then she gets a revolver.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I agree that a revolver is a great gun if a person can not handle the slide on a semi-auto. I also think they are good guns for "beginner" shooters. I love my S&W model 66, my first gun, I am very comfortable with it but after a lot of practice I carry the H&K .40S&W. I will never give up my revolver.
I have a customer coming over tomorrow or Tuesday to see what she feels most comfortable with, she has fired .45, 357, 38, and wants a conceal weapon. She usta be a LEO, juvi probation officer, then adult probation officer. Now at the age of 70 she wants to get something she can grab out of her purse and shoot at the bad guy. She was talking about getting a Sig .380, I told her the pro's and con's about a .380, so will have to wait and see what she wants.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
A .22LR pistol or revolver will make an acceptable home defense weapon if you can call the eyeball that will be hit by the round. Every single time. If not, you need a bigger bullet.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I guess I would rather use a .22 cal handgun than a knife...but I really don't believe that it replaces a larger caliber for home defense. Scarying someone lurking around in the yard...sure. But I wouldn't trust my life to an occasionally accurate firearm with a caliber that barely stops a charging prairrie dog when a .357 or .12 ga is available. Just my thought anyway.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
I have no doubt that your great in the comps...but when you have someone in your house, with possibly the intent of harming you or your family, (and its probably gonnna be dark) unless you have a lot of combat experience or training, all of you great posture and such goes out the window. See, your probably going to be scared or excited as all hell and you wont have time to stand in a good shooting stance, take great aim, then shoot. The guy is definitly gonnna be moving and taking cover. A .45 would be much better...although for me personally I keep my .44mag revolver for HD, it may seem to big but thats what I shoot and train with the most so, not to brag, but I've gotten REAL good with it. In short, i would NEVER use a .22 for HD...either a 12ga, a .45 pistol or .357 revolver , or for me, my 44mag.

·
Don't Tread on Me
485 Posts
Interesting thread. I suppose if you have 10 .22lr's and you're deadly accurate, it shouldn't matter that the projectile is a bit small at self defense range. I have to wonder though, how the .22lr would behave against a heavy coat or something. I would imagine you would need go for the head rather than center of mass.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
One guy told me, what criminal will when being fired upon say that it's only a .22 and keep coming?

he wont keep coming, but if someone threatens my family I want him dead, not in jail, DEAD...and A 357 or 45 will make sure of it...heck S&W makes one of the greatest .45 combat handguns of all time...and its a REVOLVER. Id get that for your daughter...maybe not a Smith neccisarly, but a good .45ACP revolver.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nobody can argue that if you are a good shot and can handle a larger caliber not to use that weapon. But for many the 22 is something they can handle and are not afraid to fire. In a nine shot Taurus revolver, model 94, I believe you would be well armed.

The body count from the effects of a 22 is very high. A head shot is particularly effective since that little bullet just spins around and around destroying brain function since it may not have the penetration power to exit the skull.

For the daughter, the wife or anyone else that is not a shooter, it may be a viable option.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Nobody can argue that if you are a good shot and can handle a larger caliber not to use that weapon. But for many the 22 is something they can handle and are not afraid to fire. In a nine shot Taurus revolver, model 94, I believe you would be well armed.

The body count from the effects of a 22 is very high. A head shot is particularly effective since that little bullet just spins around and around destroying brain function since it may not have the penetration power to exit the skull.

For the daughter, the wife or anyone else that is not a shooter, it may be a viable option.

well you do make a good point there....ha, speaking of .22's, just today i saw i guy at the range with a Ruger witted with a threaded barrel and a silencer AND a nice red dot. I was certain silencers werent legal in Maryland but i talked to him and he explained how the were and was thinking if i got a 22 it would HAVE to get turned into a badass hitman gun ;)

G

·
Suppressor

Suppressors are legal in Orygun, but you have to jump through some federal hoops. That would be a great home defense weapon, a .22 with a suppressor and a laser sight. Quiet and accurate.
Without a doubt a 12 gauge would be the best for home defense.
I am now carrying my daughter's Beretta .380 because it is the lightest weapon I have right now, and I have never seen it jam. My second choice is my Ruger SP101 with .38 rounds. I cannot shoot the thing with 357's without a glove. It does not jump like most handguns it comes almost straight back and just about takes off my trigger finger. I can shoot it all day with the .38 specials.
I once had a 9mm Ruger SP101 and my daughter used to shoot that when she was 11 years old. I believe she could handle that today and I would like to find another one. Anyone have one in their collection they want to part with?

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I am sure not going to put my families lives on the line with a .22. Nobody wants to spring a leak from a .22 not even a bad guy. If I hit him I want something that is powerful enough to drop him now and not have to hit him 2,3,or4 times to stop him. I started my wife and kids out with .22's but we moved up when they were ready to calibers that will stop a man. Now they all can handle anything up to .45acp in pistols and .44spl in revolvers. My wife and 2 of my daughters are very good shots. :biggrin5:

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
Tell you what. If you're seriously contemplating 22lr as a primary defense, (and some good points have been made), but practice shooting a target the size of a tennis ball when you do. Forget the skull area, forget the frontal chest area. When someone makes a defensive shooting, it must be to kill, or stop the threat....in most states and for personal reasons, we'll rule out living in Texas. The best way to stop an attacker with a 22lr is straight into the neck, plain and simple. A head shot will likely spin around the outside of the skull and exit without penetration. An ocular breech would be lucky, but aim above center mass and rule out the head shot, and you'll more than likely be in the ball park. Largest human weakness that's generally exposed and not structurally sound....the throat. That is where a 22lr defensive hit would have the most effect in my opinion, and I'm almost sure that science would agree with that. Even body armor doesn't address this area. It can not. That area of the human body must remain flexible and open due to the inherent design.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
makes sense, but

No doubt that you're theory is correct, and millions of lethal .22's are currently standing gaurd for people at home, but better choices are available. I agree with keeping down noise, recoil, and flash, but I feel better firing a bigger chunk of lead then a .22. I compromised by down loading a S&W 686, 6" barrel with .38 + P's. Not too much kick or flash but yet enough punch. In any case I would have to say that a lot of people are relying on guns that are way to big, loud, flashy, and hard to control for home defense rather then a moderate choice. Some will say that a 6" barrel is too long for home defense, but I thinks that the goods (less recoil and flash, and more muzzle energy) outweigh the bads (two inches more to grab) in that case. I guess that if a 6" barrel is too long for home defense, then a shotgun is also a bad idea. I happen to think that a shotgun Is also a great choice for home defense. I go for the 12 gauge for a confirmed intruder that's been located (such as: a bad guy visibly picking a door lock), but I'll stick with the 686 when I have to look around in response to noises or other security concerns without having a confirmed intruder. I'm not sure how well a .22 (or multiple .22's) would penetrate a large, big chested, heavy intruder (with lots of fat on him) wearing heavy winter clothing. I know that a .38 Special would be questionable in that case, but a .38+P fired out of a 6" barrel will have sufficient penetration.

G

·
My wifey can't pull the slide back on an auto either. She has three wheel guns: .32 H&R mag in her car, .38 special in bedside and Ruger Single 6 in .22 mag, she calls the Ruger her snake gun. Our pool is 'bout 75' from wetlands and she's dispatched many a snake headen for our water. She says for home defense she'll probably use the .22 mag cause she's so good with it. Good arguement. A .22 mag won't bounce off many heads,:biggrin5:

I depend on my Mossberg LE Cruiser Pump with #4 buck. Hard to miss wid that baby.:wink:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts