National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is your home defence gun different than your ccw gun? I use a shotgun and a handgun. Just in case. Ya never know.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I have a 20 gauge in the corner but I have a hand gun under a pillow next to me. Most of the time it's my .40cal Sigma as I got 15rds in it. When I bought the Sigma I didn't know it would take six months to break the trigger in and get use to it. When it goes to the range it's all business. I am OK with it now but I almost pitched it in the Indian River. :lol:
S&W .40cal Sigma.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
My CCW is of course a pistol. My Home, truck, office defense gun is an 11.5" AR, usually with a Gemtech Sound Suppressor on it.

If I lived in a non NFA friendly state (and was not in the business that I am) I would go with a 16" AR. No F/A, even though I have a bunch of them at my disposal.

Mount a tactical sling and a shock isolated flashlight and your good to go.

Rationale: Shotguns are very effective for home, vehicle and business defense, but they are large and heavy and most women (my wife definitely included) do not like shooting them enough to get a reasonable amount of practice. My wife is willing to shoot the AR enough to get damn good at it, the AR is lightweight and easy to carry from house to truck to inside business when I am also carrying a bunch of other crap with me. It is easy to carry into the hotel room at night when we travel, takes up little room inside the vehicle. The round is far more effective than any hand gun. Those that know the true ballistics of the 5.56 already understand that over penetration of interior walls is no worse than and likely less than a 12 gauge with 00 buck and far less than a 12ga with slugs.

I carry it with the 20 round magazine in place since it is a lot less bulky than the 30. If I need more that 18 rounds of 5.56 for personal defense I have a pretty serious problem on my hands, hopefully at that point I have some friends with me as I'll likely be needing them, (Not counting on having friends of course, just saying that it would sure be nice at that point). In any case, my spare mags are all 30's and kept in a grab bag with a shoulder strap for instant availability of taking it with me. There is also a spare flashlight and pistol in the bag and 3 pistol mags.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
My usual carry is a 1911. Although there are times I carry something else, like a Browning HP or Beretta 92. Depending on where we are going and what I will be wearing.

My wife keeps a S&W model 60 3" barrrel in a drawer near her side of the bed. My house gun is a Beretta 92FS.

Okay, now this will make me sound paranoid. Trust me, I'm not. We had a burglery and an attempted home invasion a few years back. We live in a nice quiet middle class neighborhood where nothing and I do mean nothing ever happens. A bunch of banditos from Old Mexico decided to swoop down on my neighborhood and attempted to lay siege to it. They home invasioned an old lady up the street. Thank God she wasn't hurt to bad, got her lights punched out but she got through it in one piece. They hit another house and luckily no one was home when they hit. At the time, I never though to keep a loaded gun around the house. So one night, I hear someone trying to kick in my front door. It is a really big heavy oak affair and not easy to get through. Since it is so big and heavy, I used #12 bolts to hold the door and frame in place (I hate sagging doors) that were drilled and set into the block of the house. So here we are, my wife is in the bedroom calling 911, I'm standing in the front room of the house in my shorts staring at the door with some bad guys trying to kick it in. I scrambled to the gun room and pull out the first thing I see, my old Stoeger mule ear double shotgun. I run over to the picture window and bang on it, level the shotgun at the (now evident) three guys from behind the window and yell the cops are on the way. For a second, the way the held themselves, it looked like there was going to be a fight. Then they broke and ran to a POS pickup in my driveway and took off. The cops showed up in what seemed like eons, but in reality it was only 3-5 minutes. When the dust settled and everyone calmed down, I found out the shotgun was empty.

So now to the I'm not paranoid part. I keep Mossberg 590 in the hall closet closest to the front door. No round in the chamber, but the tube is full of alternating #4 buck and slugs. The gun room is off the family room, there are loaded AR magazines on the shelf by the door. The rifle is within easy grasp on a wall rack just past the door. The hollow core door on the gunroom has been replaced with a steel solid core exterior door as has the bedroom door. No offense, but I will not tell you anything else that I have done for security around the house. Some of my friends tell me that I lost it. But they have never had a scare like that.

G

·
Sho am glad I live where I live.

House gun is a Mossberg 12, carry guns are a FireStar .40 and a Beretta TomCat.

Dogs provide intruder alerts, and discourage unknown visitors.

The only unexpected visitor I have ever had here was a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses, whom I tried to convert to Scientology(no, I have never been one), about 14 years ago. They didn't come back.

Once had a bunch of Deputies w/shotguns traipsing across my lower pasture, looking for an escapee from the nearby Federal Pen. He hadn't been here.

Doug

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I agree about keeping dogs. My problem is that my wife turns them into big babies. We had to put down my girl (17 years old) a couple of weeks ago. She was a terrier shepard mix of some sort. My wife found her abandoned and brought her home. That girl had the heart of a lion. Loyal, friendly to those who deserved it and funny as all get out. Mess with one of the kids or a stranger being someplace they ought not to be, that dog turned into a werewolf. I will miss her.

We now have only two. A blue tick/aussie shep mix and a Great Dane/Sheprad mix. Both momma's boys, both big babies. They bark if someone is at the door, then run and hide behind me.

I have my eye out for another abandoned female. They seem to be more interested in guarding the den. I will try to keep my wife from spoiling her. Fat chance.

G

·
My home defense is an LE grade Mossberg tricked out by Aimpro, Inc. It holds 5+1 and is loaded with #4 buck.
I used to load 00 buck until my law enforcement son reminded my that 00 will go thru several sheet rock walls and kill your kids, pets etc in other rooms. Checked with my local Sheriff, he won't allow anything but #4 buck in cruisers because of collateral damages that 00 causes.

G

·
Redbone Coonhound Security System.

No doubt in my mind is the most bang for your buck. And fun too, that dog sometimes waits a bit, just to scare the Hell out of em.
When it comes to "The Household Weapon Defense Systems", this is what I got. I call it my "Hurricane Aftermath Gun" Remington 870 12ga,, It's tricked out, Ninja Style. Surefire Light, ATI Telescopic Stock with Pistol Grip , Heat Shield, Shell Carrier thing on the side of the stock. We practice Home Invasion in my household, rule number One: Daddy or Mommy yells get down or I have a gun means Hit The Deck. That being said the shotgun is loaded with 00. Devastating weapon out to 100 yard with that load, I may want to put some a rounds though a door, wall or into car. Even if you never heard it before, the sound of a round being racked is unmistakably the sound of danger to any bad guy. In all likelihood i'd grab my Sig 229 in a quick pinch at the house, my wife has a Ruger GP100 in her night stand, it would be a cold day in hell before she'd go for the 870. I have other weapons but these are my "Go To" firearms.

May I Never Have To Fire A Angry Shot.

T-Out

·
Registered
569 Posts
For now my home defence gus are my XD9 and my AR15 cause my wife keeps the M&P in her car. I'd really like another shotgun, had a mossberg 500, maybe I can find one of these in 20 ga.
Saiga 12k semi-auto 8rd mags. The Saiga-12 is manufactured by the arms division of Izhmash, in Russia. Izhmash is now importing through the Russian-American Armory company.

G

·
My Glock is both carry and HD gun. Ditto the wife with her Glock.

I used to keep an M4gery for HD, but I am selling it when I get home. I'll just slap an 18" barrel on the bone-stock 870, load up a few rounds of buckshot and call it good. The wife strongly prefers the 870 to the M4gery, anyway.

I'm moving away from the gadgets and ninja stuff and toward simpler weapons.

G

·
Home defense is a Rem 870, with an AR on the bench (sports lingo). I adhere to the rule that a sidearm is for use to fight to get to a long gun.

I have Hide-A-Guns with pistols mounted in many locations throughout the crib, but my preference is the 870. I keep an AR 15 close by in the event the 870 runs dry.

That said, I don't subscribe to the mentality that racking the slide of an 870 will run bad guys off. IMO, racking the slide tells the bad guys 2 things. 1) I have a shotgun so shoot me at the first opportunity, and 2) I am over here.

NEVER give away your position or strength.

G

·
ive always got my pistol within arms reach but the AR is always around.

col cooper said "i use a handgun to fight my way to a long gun

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
My shotguns and hand guns are locked up and would not be accessible quickly. At one time, I was not to bad with a bladed weapon, have my T-30 bayonet and K-Bar in my room but plenty of edged weapons in the kitchen. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts