National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of holsters do you like? I don't have a favorite brand. I do tend to like the plastic ones better than the leather ones most of the time. I do like this one for gun games & range use. It's a Blackhawk Serpa, & is very user friendly & is almost impossible to drop a pistol out of.

The XD45 Tactical shows some of it's barrell, But the XD45 Service is fully covered.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I am a leather guy... Should see my new holsters im making.... Im putting quality back in this line of work.

I have said this day after day..... These holster companies are making PURE crap, that people honestly dont want, to an extent. For instance Galco. There IWB holster is 28.00 plus shipping. Its made with 2-4 ounce leather WHICH IS CRAP! Don Hume makes a holster pretty good bt they seem to NEVER have product in stock. -Pointless to retailers-. I could go on and on. Galco can make their holsters for "DIRT CHEAP"!

WHY THE HELL ARE THEY CHARGING 28.00? I mean come on!

Galcos name on my holster is just as good as Nike is on a pair of shoes ill throw away in 10 days. Garbage.

Just my angry .02

P.S. Holster Production starts tomorrow. Starting with the best seller. S&W J-Frames. Will have pictures up after they are done.

THEY ARE SWEET!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think I ttend to prefer leather my self. Pancake holster is my style..

G

·
Travis said:
I am a leather guy... Should see my new holsters im making.... Im putting quality back in this line of work.

I have said this day after day..... These holster companies are making PURE crap, that people honestly dont want, to an extent. For instance Galco. There IWB holster is 28.00 plus shipping. Its made with 2-4 ounce leather WHICH IS CRAP! Don Hume makes a holster pretty good bt they seem to NEVER have product in stock. -Pointless to retailers-. I could go on and on. Galco can make their holsters for "DIRT CHEAP"!

WHY THE HELL ARE THEY CHARGING 28.00? I mean come on!

Galcos name on my holster is just as good as Nike is on a pair of shoes ill throw away in 10 days. Garbage.
I'll just point out that Galco makes quite a few IWB holsters at various price points. I find it difficult to believe that someone who considers himself a "leather guy" can't see the differences in construction between, say, a Galco Concealable and the equivalent Don Hume products.

Galco can't really make holsters "dirt cheap." Galco uses only American-raised steer hides, and unlike most holster companies, do all their manufacturing in the United States (Phoenix, specifically). I suppose they could outsource or manufacture in Mexico or Vietnam like some others, but Galco is actually quite a patriotic company. It simply costs more to manufacture in the US, and Galco also pays a decent wage.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Actually. Mike I hate to disagree, BUT. Galco might say they order from the U.S. BUT they are wrong. Going into the leather manufacturing business I have found out some dirty little secrets about Galco. They DO NOT get their leather from the U.S. like they say. Their clips, come from china. ;)

I have a Galco and a Don Hume next to me. Lets describe them in detail.

This is for Galco's CHEAP line of IWB which is $28.00

Galco:

Flimsy - No support system what so ever. The thumbreak? GARBAGE! Couldn't believe it.
Leather - Fine leather but cheap when it comes from Mexico OR even if it comes from USA.... Which it dont.
A sturdy injection-molded nylon clip locks the holster onto the belt.
Sturdy? Plastic in my mind cant be sturdy..... The clip breaks or your holster happens to catch on somthing..... Their goes your gun on the ground in Wal-Mart where 2 million anti-gun people go a year.
Stitching- Fine tight stitching. Well done in this department.

Don Hume:

Flimsy - Not AS bad as Galco though. Has better support. Although it has NO thumbreak it still will hold the gun in just as tight.
Metal Clip - Cant bend or break it. Period.
Stitching - Tight as Galco but dont have the "Perfection" of Galco.

Conclusion - Both have some ups and downs. What would I buy.... Don Hume

I just cant believe some of the "more" expensive holsters they have that are severely over priced.

Resource - Talked to about 30 different leather companies.

P.S. I am not biased by no means. I HATE literally HATE Don Hume. They are slow and cant make production fast enough.

G

·
I bought this 1970's era holster off ebay last week. I'm looking for a custom holster maker that might duplicate this style for me in top quality leather or exotic skin. Anyone know a custom maker that might do that for me?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Leather. High-quality heavy, top-grain leather.

I own one plastic holster (Fobus) because I thought it would work well for CCW of one particular pistol. Not. I have a cordura holster that I use for our morning walks when I wear a military-style web belt for the canteens, and it's OK for that purpose. Otherwise, call me old-fashioned (I am!), but I'll take leather, Thank You!

G

·
My DeSantis Speed Holster works very well with either my Full sized MP 40 or my MP 9mm compact. I bought it through the S & W web site with the S & W, M & P logo imprinted on it. Very good holster and kinda pretty too.
I am considering buying a Pro Carry HD IWB holster through the Holster Store. Has anyone had any experience with this holster?

G

·
I love leather, but also like the locking feature of the Serpa, any knows of any thing like that? Like to have best of both worlds. Looking at options for my Sig 229.

G

·
OK Travis,
I'm calling your hand. Youe IWB looks exactly like my Galco $59 model. I just ordered yours for comparison. Also ordered a mag holder. Looks real nice for the $$.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts