National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a .45 and am looking at finding out the pro's and con's between the HK 45 and the Glock 21SF.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
The HK-.45 is a more refined pistol than the Glock-21sf and it also cost more. So far as shooting they are about the same I would say.

·
super noob
2,037 Posts
I have an HK .45 and it is awesome. I have shot the Glock 21 sf and it is a glock. The HK costs more, and to me its worth it. At 7 yards I can shoot through the same hole repeatedly. I feel safer with the way the hk works as well, because the double/single action of the pistol allows me to keep one in the chamber ready to be fired but not have to wory about an accidental discharge due to the decocker. The HK bridges the gap of the safty of the 1911 and the quick resonse time of the Glock. Also the HK is just so much more comfortable to hold and shoot.

I have never had a problem with my HK functioning properly it is a solid platform, but then again so is the Glock. So its realy up to you. The Glock is less exspensive.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
The HK is going to feel much smoother and more refined when you shoot it. At the same time it is a highly tuned pistol, and isn't going to hold up to the beating that a glock would. If you're going to take care of your pistol and don't plan on dropping it/throwing it around you'll likely never have a problem with the reliability of the HK.

I personally think the HK is worth the extra cash, as the difference in feel between HK/SIG and a glock is remarkable. But you have to decide what exactly you're going to use the gun for and how much abuse it will be subject to.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on using it primarily for home defense and range shooting.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Ultimately, the gun is only as good as the person using it - and the gun that is going to work best for you is probably the one that feels best in your hand. Go touch, hold, and admire them in a gun store. That should help you make your decision.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Ultimately, the gun is only as good as the person using it - and the gun that is going to work best for you is probably the one that feels best in your hand. Go touch, hold, and admire them in a gun store. That should help you make your decision.

Yup, and if you have a range that rents guns, put a few boxes through each of them, that should help you quite a bit. I'm not familiar with the HKs, but I enjoy my G21. I consider it to be a pretty good shooter, and it sleeps by me every night under the pillow. :thumbsup:

·
Fomalhaut
223 Posts
i would guess you're open to suggestions since the two choices are at different ends of the spectrum. if so, i would suggest a sig p220 to the hk45. i'm not that big of a fan of hk to begin with but i prefer the feel and trigger of the p220. they have an aluminum frame (with the exception of the st) so it's still considered a lightweight gun, and i doubt there's more than a couple ounces difference between the two.

a gun to compare to the glock would be the springfield xd. in my opinion the grip angle and ergonomics feel better than the glock. it has a lemon squeeze like a 1911, i can take it or leave it, not sure if you have an opinion on them; but also has the trigger safety like a glock.

sorry, lol... the two choices presented are the two i just don't care much for. not that i'm saying there is anything specifically wrong with either brand, but i don't care for the ergonomics of glocks, and i just plain don't like hk.

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
To me the HK is a like Harley, and the Glock is like a Honda. A soulless appliance is just what many people like, but to me a gun needs something more than functionality. Design can include style, even art, in addition to function. I don't care for the DA only action either. Like a Raven, only made of plastic and bigger.

·
Fomalhaut
223 Posts
To me the HK is a like Harley, and the Glock is like a Honda. A soulless appliance is just what many people like, but to me a gun needs something more than functionality. Design can include style, even art, in addition to function. I don't care for the DA only action either. Like a Raven, only made of plastic and bigger.
i would compare them more to ducati and buell, respectively :biggrin5:

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Sig 220 is another comparison I would like to make to the HK 45. I think that the Sig 220 Equinox is such a beautiful weapon. I do have relatively small hands so I guess I will just have to go out and pysically hold them for comparison.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I have small hands and some of these double stack pistols just don't feel right to me. None in the .45acp caliber feels good, but a G-19/23 feel great and I shoot them well enough. I don't know why it's that way, but it is.:biggrin5:

·
super noob
2,037 Posts
Hey SIG makes a great gun also. I had a SIG in .45 that I sold to a freind of mine, It was an awesome shooter. I made out good on the sale, but I have always planned on adding another one to my collection.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
As one who enjoys the aesthetics of a firearm as much or more than the utility, I am very pleased with my USP45c as well as my USP40 and 40c. Mr. Brewster's analysis is spot on.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have the HK .45compact, and I absolutely love it. I would recommend it for sure!!

It is extremely comfortable in my hand, and just feels like a solid well built gun. I feel it is very accurate, and I've never had any issues with it, but then again I always clean it and take very good care of it, so I really havent tested its reliablity much.

Like other people have said, its more expensive than other similar guns, but worth it to me.

I personally dont like glocks at all, they feel like im holding a brick in my hand. My HK feels like it was built with a model of my hand as a template!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I guess I will be the only one who would rather have a gun that is equal for $400 less.... As far as I am concerned, G21 all the way. HK thinks far too highly of their products. I have shot the HK and glock side by side many times, not enough of a difference to justify the $400 more.

Like I always say, there's a reason the Glock is the most widely used pistol by police around the world.....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Service maybe a problem

H&K45 is the most expensive of all the .45's I've held.

You can't go wrong with H&K in terms of reliability and accuracy, so it may not be that much of a problem when it comes to getting service if you are a civilian. From what I've seen, if you are LE or military, they will bend over backwards for ya', but otherwise you're pretty much left to their whim.

I use to be a H&K fan, but not any more. For the same price of one H&K45, I can buy 2 S&W M&P .45s for about $80 more.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you really wanna get the best get a SIG P220. It's better than an HK and slightly better than a glock. About $100 cheaper than a HK but still $300 more than a glock. Navy SEALs use the P226 so SIG must be good. It's the most widely used gun by US special forces.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd get the Glock 21sf over the H&K45. The H&K has a nice grip. But, I don't like the high bore axis of the H&K. Glocks aren't pretty. But, they work and won't break the bank. Use the difference in price to get a good holster and ammo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts