National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Had an hour or two free this afternoon and stopped by to
see a couple of my good buddies - Rick (in the red braces)
and Cameron, who looks a little like one of Benjamin Franklin's
youngest sons. :D

I just bought me a new Nikon S700 and since I had wasted
the morning on dueling keyboard with another forum
member on another forum, I thought I'd stop by La Mesa
Guns and play with Rick and Cameron.

It wasn't to be - I picked the wrong day - they were in 5th
gear scramble mode for our friends, the ATF boys!

Here's Cameron working away on one of a pile of drosses.
Normally the guy's hilarious - and we play off each other
until all but the long time customers get a little worried that
we are going to take it outside in the parking lot!

I didn't realize it but i had set the camera on the wrong (outdoor)
over ride mode - should have stuck to Auto. ... next time!

Hanging out here's fun - I've always has a neighborhood gun
store to hang out in ... good places to see and learn about life,
and of course, girls.

This gun shop used to be crammed into one half the space
and kept dark and mysterious - mixed with all sorts of
antiques and old uniforms, helmets, fighting axes and
bladed weapons.

Actually, I liked it better - BUT - this new makeover made room
for more guns. Look carefully here, and you'll see THREE Nylon
66's - almost as pristine as the day the popped off the assembly
line back in the early 1970's. I'm almost tempted to buy one -
almost.

I seem to have missed some of the full display shelves of old and
new pistols.The favorite of mine I hoped to shoot - I apparently
was too busy at checking out a purdy little redhead with a big
biker boyfriend. I went into 'old man dottering mode' ... for
self-defence :roll: ... in case my glances were detected by Spike -
is one filled with Lugars and C-96's - even a Red Nine, or two,
Bolos! I'll have to go back and get a picture of that case like I
said, it's my favorite!

... anyway, chances are good that I'm here or at one of two other
gun stores - not unlike this one - or at the range - or maybe the
beach drinking Margaritas down on the boardwalk (cement) in
PB or South Mission Beach. The last place to look for me is somewhere
I'm supposed to be, doing something that I'm supposed to be doing.
:-B-:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Nice looking gun store.

Do you remember that big place called B&B guns that was located up in the valley years ago. Always had an armed guard at the door. They supplied the ARs to the police during that bank robbery shootout years ago.

I have several guns that I bought from them. Great place and its now gone now from what I hear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep - B&B was pretty good. Were you around when Accuracy Gun Shop - about 30th and University - was alive and doing well? Great place to swap lies with the 'big guys'!

... and also the was Krasney's down on Market St. - a legend for about a zillion years, in these
parts! They actually had a range in the sub-basement where you could try out a gun before
you bought it - or - if you were in a crappy stressedout mood the owner would give you a box
of 38's and you could go downstairs and 'de-stressify' yourself!

... boy, those were the days - glad I'm old enough to have experienced them/fondly remember them!
:-B-: :-B-:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
zipperzap said:
Yep - B&B was pretty good. Were you around when Accuracy Gun Shop - about 30th and University - was alive and doing well? Great place to swap lies with the 'big guys'!

... and also the was Krasney's down on Market St. - a legend for about a zillion years, in these
parts! They actually had a range in the sub-basement where you could try out a gun before
you bought it - or - if you were in a crappy stressedout mood the owner would give you a box
of 38's and you could go downstairs and 'de-stressify' yourself!

... boy, those were the days - glad I'm old enough to have experienced them/fondly remember them!
:-B-: :-B-:

I lived in LA from 1979 to 1993. Did most of my gun deals with B&B and used to shoot at at place in the valley on Parthenia, close to Chatsworth/Northridge. There was a small place I used to visit up in NewHall CA also. I lived up in the Santa Clarita Valley.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah - my younger brother, Tom, lived in Canoga Park and haunted all the ranges there in the Valley in a 20 mile range. We used to shoot up in Sand Canyon, to the north.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
zipperzap said:
Ah - my younger brother, Tom, lived in Canoga Park and haunted all the ranges there in the Valley in a 20 mile range. We used to shoot up in Sand Canyon, to the north.
I had my last home in CA up in Canyon Country close to the sand canyon exit, up on Silvia Drive, I believe. Drove down to Santa Monica each day to work, that was a fun commute.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah - I don't like LA anymore - well, even less than before, when my mother and brother lived in Canoga Park. I own a house up there but have a property management company to deal with all of it. Gale is from Playa Del Rey and her mom lives there BUT we figured out a nice compromise years ago that limits our trips to LA because of Mary - now we all meet at San Juan Capistrano (exactly half way) and eat at The Train Station or El Adobe, exchange gifts, etc. and skedaddle on back down after a couple of hours! It's about an hour each way and is perfect drive for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Now that I'm 'working' with some 'wealthy guys' who send me up to LA occasionally, on business ... I am always chauffeured up in a RR with a driver (talk about spoiled - I rarely bring that up with even my closest friends - fear of getting kicked, stoned or beaten to death!). No complaints here! One of the owners collects RRs - I think he's got around twenty five or thirty. The more valuable are in a drive in vault in Seattle ... see how rough things must be for him!?LOL
:cool:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
zipperzap said:
Yeah - I don't like LA anymore - well, even less than before, when my mother and brother lived in Canoga Park. I own a house up there but have a property management company to deal with all of it. Gale is from Playa Del Rey and her mom lives there BUT we figured out a nice compromise years ago that limits our trips to LA because of Mary - now we all meet at San Juan Capistrano (exactly half way) and eat at The Train Station or El Adobe, exchange gifts, etc. and skedaddle on back down after a couple of hours! It's about an hour each way and is perfect drive for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Now that I'm 'working' with some 'wealthy guys' who send me up to LA occasionally, on business ... I am always chauffeured up in a RR with a driver (talk about spoiled - I rarely bring that up with even my closest friends - fear of getting kicked, stoned or beaten to death!). No complaints here! One of the owners collects RRs - I think he's got around twenty five or thirty. The more valuable are in a drive in vault in Seattle ... see how rough things must be for him!?LOL
:cool:
One of the fun jobs that I had when I first moved to Los Angeles was as Controller, later Director of Finance for a fitness company called Aerobic Dancing. They had over 3500 women working for that company in many states and foreign countries. A fun job that only lasted for about four years. Our landlord used to pick me up in his RR and take me to lunch one in a while. I thought I was hot stuff tooling around Northridge California in a Rolls. Ah! The old days!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts