National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

AWR HAWKINS
24 Nov 2021

The Henry Repeating Arms Long Ranger .308 is a “Made in America” lever action rifle with a detachable magazine and superb accuracy.

The Long Ranger is designed to provide longer-shot capability for avid hunters and outdoorsman. The model we are shooting is chambered in .308 but the Long Ranger is also available in .223/5.56, .243, and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Moreover, the Long Ranger can either be purchased a “sighted” model or simply drilled and tapped for a scope. The Long Ranger we are shooting is “sighted,” which means it has a fixed front sight and an adjustable rear sight.

The “sighted” model is still drilled and tapped for a scope, and has a rear sight that folds down so it does not prevent the use of a scope.

The Long Ranger has a detachable magazine with four-round capacity. The magazine fits flush into the base of the rifle’s receiver, and functions flawlessly.

The Long Ranger is Made in America and proud of it (AWR Hawkins/Breitbart News)
The Henry Repeating Arms Long Ranger is stamped “Made in America” by a manufacturer proudly driven by the same ethos of excellence

We did not mount a scope on our Long Ranger, choosing instead to shoot with the open sights. Ringing steel targets in the range of 120-180 yards has been a breeze.

The rear folding sight is adjustable for windage and elevation and after those adjustments are made, the rifle is a tack driver.

In summary, the Long Ranger is another high quality firearm produced by Henry Repeating Arms. And like all Henry products, the Long Ranger is “Made in America, Or Not Made At All.”

·
AZHerper
5,163 Posts
Looks great and I really like Henry and have liked and owned several lever action rifles over decades. My grandfather got my started because he loved his "thirty-three". It was a Model 1886 Winchester chambered in 33 WCF. It was a cut above the good old thirty-thirties in power and he considered it his "elk rifle". They stopped loading the 33 WFC a long time ago but you can reload it with .338 bullets.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed the rather substantial recoil pad in the first picture. I own a Savage M99 chambered in ,308 Win. While its felt recoil is not painful, it is substantial. Its possible the recoil pad on Henry's rifle is an attempt to alleviate the problem.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
AZHerper
5,163 Posts
I noticed the rather substantial recoil pad in the first picture. I own a Savage M99 chambered in ,308 Win. While its felt recoil is not painful, it is substantial. Its possible the recoil pad on Henry's rifle is an attempt to alleviate the problem.
You should have felt my Model 1895 Marlin in 45-70. I loaded Speer 400 grain (SPFN) bullets to 1,900 fps for about 3,200 ft-lbs muzzle energy. Even though I put a good recoil pad on it, when I would shoot several rounds on the range, I would hemorrhage a bit from my shoulder down into my pectoral muscles. I never used it on deer, but I would have downloaded a lot for that. BTW: This was when I was a lot younger and had a power fetish which led me to buy a Ruger No. 1 African in .458 Win Magnum. I'm a lot older and wiser now and well over it but I suspect that many of you have gone through some phases.

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
I have four (actually five. I forgot about the Big Boy Brass 45 Colt) Henry rifles. They're great. No Long Ranger though. One 45-70, a 41 Mag and two Golden Boys 22lr. I have never shot a full pill in the 45-70. I just shoot low speed cast bullets.

Now, I have a Marlin Guide Gun and have shot the real deal in it. Now I know it shoots and feel confident that, if attacked by something grizzly bear size or bigger that both of us will want to rethink the matter...

I only have two 308s (oddly enough). One is a Mod 760 carbine and the other a bull barrel rifle on a Mauser 98 action. I don't shoot much 308.

Truthfully, I like the 30-30 in either Marlin, Winchester or Savage 99 configurations.

Alan

·
AZHerper
5,163 Posts
I have four (actually five. I forgot about the Big Boy Brass 45 Colt) Henry rifles. They're great. No Long Ranger though. One 45-70, a 41 Mag and two Golden Boys 22lr. I have never shot a full pill in the 45-70. I just shoot low speed cast bullets.

Now, I have a Marlin Guide Gun and have shot the real deal in it. Now I know it shoots and feel confident that, if attacked by something grizzly bear size or bigger that both of us will want to rethink the matter...

I only have two 308s (oddly enough). One is a Mod 760 carbine and the other a bull barrel rifle on a Mauser 98 action. I don't shoot much 308.

Truthfully, I like the 30-30 in either Marlin, Winchester or Savage 99 configurations.

Alan
I have no doubt that your Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 would down anything on the planet! Of course the 405 grain factory loads are a tad conservative compared to what you can do reloading but the stopping power reminds me of what an old Rolls=Royce salesman said when asked by a customer how much horsepower the car had. He replied "adequate"! :D

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
I always wanted a 760 carbine. I have a tendency to want short barreled rifles. Must be a northeast woods thing. I have a 760 and a 7600, both in 30.06 but 24”.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
26,341 Posts
MSRP $1,138.00

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
That's a great looking rifle, you can never go wrong with a Henry! I have a Henry is 45 colt that has a nice recoil pad on it but in that caliber it's really not needed. I'm in the process of putting them on several guns that do need it. My next victim is a Marling 336 in 35 Rem. that pounds the hell out of my shoulder with it's standard plastic butt plate......I wonder if Henry or somone else will make bigger mags for that at some point for range fun?

Reactions: gvaldeg1
1 - 11 of 11 Posts