National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago I had a Marlin 39A and loved it.
But I was in the Army and fell on hard times and sold it.
I am looking for a similar lever .22 for our grandsons for Xmas but I don't want to buy junk.
I was looking at the Henry line of levers and wondering if anyone can compare the old Marlin with today's Henry.
So if you are familiar with the Marlin and can compare I would appreciate it.

· Registered
17,515 Posts
I don't think I've ever shot a 39A but i can attest to the quality of the Henry. You should not be disappointed.

· Registered
629 Posts
I have a few Henrys. I'm not fan of the 30-30 or the .357; I prefer my model 92's and 94's in both more than the heavy, tube-loaded, Henrys. I don't have a model 39 - I wish I did - but I have a Henry .22 and that gun I really like. I guess I don't mind the .22 being tube loaded because I have had Marlin model 60's ever since I was old enough to buy a gun.

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,883 Posts
Its gonna be difficult to beat a Marlin 39A or 39M. The Winchester 9422 tries, and fails. The Browning BL-22 is a fine rifle but is priced out of many folk's reach. Henry's 'brass' offerings are overly heavy.

I believe I'd search out a used (discontinued in 2009) Ruger 96/22 and have a trigger job done. If I was going with a Henry, I'd get a steel Model H001.

· Registered
3,573 Posts
I have a few Henrys. I'm not fan of the 30-30 or the .357; I prefer my model 92's and 94's in both more than the heavy, tube-loaded, Henrys. I don't have a model 39 - I wish I did - but I have a Henry .22 and that gun I really like. I guess I don't mind the .22 being tube loaded because I have had Marlin model 60's ever since I was old enough to buy a gun.
Henry is now making some of their models with a side loading gate in the receiver in addition to the tube.
So two ways to load. Check their website.
The .44 is a tack driver.

· Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK, I wanted .22s and I did not want the brasslite finish, even though the side plates are replaceable. Polished a bit too much brass in the Army in my 6 years of service thanks.
I also understand from owners that the brasslite will scratch too.
So looking at the selection which I might say is vast.
I selected the model H004S Silver Boy. I thought about the engraved model but why spend more money just to make it harder to keep clean. I understand the finish is nickel.
Henry just keeps increasing the prices and yet they keep selling them. We have many local dealers in our smaller AZ town and they are constantly out of the lower level .22 rifles.I rarely see anyone selling a Henry .22 lever either so it was time just to bite the bullet and order two of what I wanted.

I am hoping that the quality of the guns is nearly as high as the 50 year old Marlin 39A that I lost due to money issues while in the Army. That sure was a nice plinker!

· Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
I have a 39A and two Henry Golden Boy 22 lr. The brasslite took some getting used to but I actually like it. I think they'd likely do for a grandson to beat around in the brush with. Might even bring home a rabbit or two.

I also have a Henry rifle in 45/70 that I'm enamored with, a Big Boy Brass in 45 Colt and a Big Boy Steel in 41 Mag. For whatever reasons I cannot get the 41 mag to shoot like I want it to. The others are fine.

I will also add that if you experience ANY problems with your Henry, you box it up and send it in for free repair/replacement of the offending parts.

Of course, if you can find a 39A to your liking there is nothing wrong with them either.

Alan

· Registered
17,515 Posts
I agree with popeye on getting the steel version. My .22 is the steel one and it feels very much like holding a small .22 rifle. I have a brass version of the .357 and it's feels heavy for a lever gun.

· Registered
318 Posts
I don't know it just may be here where I live the Marlin 39a is a hard find at the LGS i visit. If I come across one and it's in good shape it will join my rimfire family.:thumbsup:

· Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know it just may be here where I live the Marlin 39a is a hard find at the LGS i visit. If I come across one and it's in good shape it will join my rimfire family.:thumbsup:
Yes, as near as I found out Marlin quit making the 39a a few years back.
And used ones command as much money as a new Henry does.

· Registered
79 Posts
My dad sent back his brand new Henry 22magnum twice to get it fixed. Something was wrong with the barrel inside the receiver which made it jam periodically. They did eventually get it fixed. It is a great gun now.

· Registered
8,212 Posts
Yes, as near as I found out Marlin quit making the 39a a few years back.
And used ones command as much money as a new Henry does.
Go Pawn shopping. I averaged 2-3 a month in my store in Kansas City. They are very popular and don't stay on the rack very long.:thumbsup:

· Registered
6,726 Posts
preference......Marlin
wallet.........Henry

plenty of fans out there of both.........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.