National Gun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
One more checked off the list. Just bought the .357 tonight. Pick it up in a few days. Oh, and they changed the magazine tube. Now is heavier duty. I can’t be for sure but the barrel looked a little heavier too. I’ll do a full post after I have it in hand for pics.

·
Super Moderator
13,080 Posts
One more checked off the list. Just bought the .357 tonight. Pick it up in a few days. Oh, and they changed the magazine tube. Now is heavier duty. I can’t be for sure but the barrel looked a little heavier too. I’ll do a full post after I have it in hand for pics.
Can't wait to see it!

--Wag--

·
Jesus Saves
8,228 Posts
Do you know why and when they changed the tube? In all of them or just big boy?

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got no idea why. I only saw new tubes on the big boys. The Golden Boy rifles still had the same tube as before. I know Henry is starting to make side load like the old Winchester’s. I have only seen 2 models like that so far. It seems they made one change then immediately another. Don’t know if they intend to keep both or not. This is a pic of my 30/30 magazine tube. I’ll post a pic of the .357 after I pick it up for comparison.

Microphone Audio equipment Microphone stand Technology Auto part

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well here is the comparison between the 30/30 magazine tube and the new .357 magnum. Got a heavier thicker tube and beefed up cap. I’m going to put the new rifle under it’s own thread but at least you can see what I mean by the heavier duty mag tube. The barrel is a tiny bit thicker (not enough to pickup on campers) but it might just be because of the bore size difference.

Material property Metal

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Henry is starting to make side load like the old Winchester’s. I have only seen 2 models like that so far. It seems they made one change then immediately another. Don’t know if they intend to keep both or not.
while tradition may indicate a desire for a side gate......i actually prefer the tube port loading.......
just seems so much easier to me and one thing less to break or go wrong.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
while tradition may indicate a desire for a side gate......i actually prefer the tube port loading.......
just seems so much easier to me and one thing less to break or go wrong.
There is a place for side gates but I’d never want one on a polished brass receiver. It would scratch the crap out of it I’d imagine.

·
Jesus Saves
8,228 Posts
There is a place for side gates but I’d never want one on a polished brass receiver. It would scratch the crap out of it I’d imagine.
I saw the Henry with the side gate at the NRA show and although it is nice, the classic tube is what I like about the Big Boy. If I were to get another lever, it would have a side gate.

I have been thinking about a skinner sight for the Big Boy but prob will not do it. Henry makes a 22 carbine that comes with one, it may be in my future (I've been talking about it for a year now).

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I have been thinking about a skinner sight for the Big Boy but prob will not do it. Henry makes a 22 carbine that comes with one, it may be in my future (I've been talking about it for a year now).
To each his own. These particular rifles I’ll leave stock. They are good rifles and I do shoot them but they are also a collection piece for me. They will get some minor wear but I take extreme care when handling them. I just bought some new hard cases yesterday. I was hoping that I’d be able to fit 2 per case but with the angle of the stock, it would have put them too close together for my comfort. That pluck foam isn’t real strong when it gets down to 1 or 2 squares between guns. Didn’t wanna bang them up to save a few bucks.

Not to sound like an advertisement but $71.28 per case after tax. They are the first gen of the Plano all weather line but they are damn near indestructible and well worth the money. Plano is hit and miss on their stuff but they did these right. I have both the first and second gen for all my rifles. There is no difference in the quality, just the way they look on the outside. 42” cases leave enough room for head gear, glasses and a box of ammo if you wanted. I’d highly recommend these cases. Half the cost of the high $ cases and every bit as good if not better. They are heavy but they will protect your investment. The 52” AW2 cases have wheels on them. Lady at Rural King thought it was funny they had wheels until she went to pick it up to walk me out with an AR-10 inside.

Gun Shotgun Air gun Gun barrel

First gen All Weather outside
Automotive exterior Bumper Technology Auto part Gas

Second gen All Weather (AW2) outside
Electronics Technology Bumper Auto part Electronic device

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Been a while since I added to the collection. I put the Henry Big Boy on layaway tonight. Good deal, got new for $580+tax because it had been sitting on the shelf for a while and was starting to tarnish pretty good. Will look bright and shiny again once I get it home.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Woohoo, .44 magnum paid off. That makes five.

22LR
22 WMR
357 magnum
44 magnum
30-30

I still need
17 HMR
327 Fed Magnum
41 Rem Magnum
45 Colt

The .17 and the .327 are the low hanging fruit, at least I can get a good price on the .327 so those will probably be next on the list. I’ll start a new thread on the .44 when I get it home. It looks rough with the tarnish so I can’t wait to get it polished up.

On top of that, I think we have a new video coming up that should be fun. My brother got a .410 I believe (80% positive, need to double check) and the neighbor got the .45/70 so we have 7 calibers now to run side by side. Don’t know how fast I can get ahold of the .327, funds are scarce at the moment but if I can pull it off in the next month, I may hold on the video until it’s in hand. I CAN get them all next month but if I took another $3000 out of the account this soon, you’d never hear from me again. I’d probably be buried in my range somewhere so she could go out and shoot me whenever she wanted.

(I am obviously joking, in case I do go missing. My wife doesn’t have a mean bone in her body)

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Technically, I guess there are more calibers than that. With the rifles on hand:

.22 Short (maybe try from the 18.5” classic, afraid it won’t clear a 20” barrel)
.22 Long
.22 LR
.22 WMR
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
.44 Special
.44 Magnum
30-30
45/70
.410 (we’d be testing slugs)

The .327 would also add the .32 H&R magnum to the list.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
the curse (or blessing) with your collection is that it would be a natural to want to pair up the levers with appropriate single action revolvers for the majority of the herd.....namely.......ruger.........:cornut:

Reactions: Wag

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
the curse (or blessing) with your collection is that it would be a natural to want to pair up the levers with appropriate single action revolvers for the majority of the herd.....namely.......ruger.........:cornut:
Im working on it slooowly... one of those Ruger 45’s in that case cost as much as the Big Boy rifle. That set alone was $1600, add another $700-$750 for the rifle and that’s an expensive set. The .22’s were not bad at all. I got those bisley exclusives for $450 each after shipping/tax but is holds true, the rifle was the same price.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts