National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, there she is. Tarnished up pretty good. I don’t know how long she was sitting on the display rack but I’ve been buying in this store for 6 months so it’s been at least that long. I’m gonna sit down tonight, disassemble it and give her a good well deserved polish. It’s a shame to see such a beautiful piece neglected like this. She has 2 very tiny dings on the very bottom of the buttstock. I otherwise see no scratches or scrapes. The tarnish and the 2 tiny dings saved me about $160 after tax.

71269212-02C6-40EF-AAE3-9273F95C0A32.jpeg

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Little brother donated 34 rounds of Hornady HP’s he had laying around. He no longer has his Super Blackhawk. So I’ll be feeding her tomorrow. I’m sure she’s starving.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok, she’s beautimous again. 6-8 passes with mag polish to get all that out. The tarnish ran deeper than I thought, actually pitted it just slightly. I got it though. Can’t be felt just a slight haze in a couple spots that will come out the next time I break it down. Got all except where the barrel meets the receiver. I missed it. I’ll deal with it tomorrow. I’m all polished out for tonight. Spent a few hours on it. Got it oiled up and ready for some fun. The next pics are closeups of the before and after.

8A711CF6-8090-468B-9034-53309D081DEA.jpeg
6FC3F649-D07D-4A4B-93C8-5DB9DB062286.jpeg

4CF84C19-BEEC-4EF2-B91F-1FF05522D984.jpeg
D2BA2D26-A8E2-4910-A044-86F06240944D.jpeg

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can’t complain. Figure I made $50/hr at my desk with a polishing cloth.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brother brought over some new shotguns to test out. While we were at it I dragged this Henry .44 out for its first shots. I think we were both surprised how mild it was even with those hot Hornady loads. Damn near no recoil to speak of. One of those guns you can shoot all day if you can afford it. Dead accurate out of the box at 30 yards. We only ran 2 tubes out of it so I didn’t shoot any further than that. Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Very nice looking rifle. I used to polish my Hawkin like that. Unfortunately now she’s a cabinet queen.
Have to admit, I don’t shoot them as much as others but I do shoot them. Kind of a fair weather gun if you know what I mean. I don’t mind throwing on coveralls and dragging out an AR or any polymer gun for that matter but these don’t get exposed to harsh weather. I’ve maybe shot 100 rounds out of the .357 and 60 out of the 30-30, 100 from the .22 mag and 20 from the .44 mag. The .22 Golden Boy has probably had the most at about 500. Nic has yet to fire his classic .22. It’s really relative to what ammo I have. I like to keep a stockpile for each but all but the .22 and .357 are low in reserves. We have that nice loading table out there now so they’ll see more action this summer.

·
Registered
13,251 Posts
Do you ever shoot .38's through it? The recoil is pretty much zero(not that the .357 is a lot) and brass is usually much cheaper and easier to come by than .357 brass. Here in NY the prison system just recently went to glock and finally turned in their old S&W revolvers but before that brass could be had by the bucket fulls easily and cheaply. Even now it's still one of the only revolver calibers i find brass on a regular basis at my range. You also get another round in the tube!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, it’s the only gun I have that shoots .38 and I have probably 1500rd on hand. Had more but the Nephew just got a .38 so I donated some ammo. Just told him to bring the casings back and I’ll reload em. Honestly, the .44 had barely any recoil, can’t imagine the .357 would either. I only have 1 box of .357 I think. Saving it for a video.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ll add that we were shooting 12ga and 20ga shotguns right before we tried the .44 mag so my perception of the recoil may be relative to the other guns we were using but if it is, it can’t be skewed all that much.

·
Registered
13,251 Posts
Being you're also reloading I'll add this. You don't save all that much by going .38 over .357. Powder difference is usually around double if my memory is correct but neither use a large amount to begin with. It is however much easier to use cast bullets in 38's because you really don't have to worry about hardness and velocity compared to loading them in .357 so you save money on the bullets. I think it was you i seen talking about buying 500 pack of cast bullets but not sure so i thought i would add it in case it wasn't you. Might have been Coalcracker who posted it. Either way you can save a ton buy reloading them either way, i still can't get over what they cost per box compared to what i can load them for. Around here .38's are like $22-23 a box and .357's are like $25-27 and i can load a 100 for like $6-7 tops.

As far as the recoil yes pretty much any pistol caliber lever gun is going to have very little recoil. Same 44 round in a handgun that makes you go WOW is just a light push on the shoulder in a rifle.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Being you're also reloading I'll add this. You don't save all that much by going .38 over .357. Powder difference is usually around double if my memory is correct but neither use a large amount to begin with. It is however much easier to use cast bullets in 38's because you really don't have to worry about hardness and velocity compared to loading them in .357 so you save money on the bullets. I think it was you i seen talking about buying 500 pack of cast bullets but not sure so i thought i would add it in case it wasn't you. Might have been Coalcracker who posted it. Either way you can save a ton buy reloading them either way, i still can't get over what they cost per box compared to what i can load them for. Around here .38's are like $22-23 a box and .357's are like $25-27 and i can load a 100 for like $6-7 tops.

As far as the recoil yes pretty much any pistol caliber lever gun is going to have very little recoil. Same 44 round in a handgun that makes you go WOW is just a light push on the shoulder in a rifle.
Yeah, that was Coal ordering some plastic coated cast bullets. Can’t recall the name of the coating. I think he was using Bayou Bullets though. Only reason in loading.38’s is because I cleaned out RK when they clearanced their GECO .38’s. Got half for $12 and half for $10. Bought up like 1750 rounds so I have plenty of casings to reload. Per the loading manual, the pressure is at +P. There are more efficient powders I could probably use to push them faster without going over on pressure but I loaded with a max load of Trail Boss. I used Berry’s Bullets. They aren’t terribly expensive if buying 1000 at a time. I could push the speed to near magnum loads but I don’t see the point. It’s a plinker for me. I just loaded my first .357 magnums today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts