National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took her out shooting yesterday and had a goal of getting her sighted in real nice. I bought some shoot-n-c type targets, but they were the sight in pattern that show clicks right/left. (Pictured below). I was shooting remington PMC FMJ 55 gr ammo. Anyway - once I got the elevation correct I started to sight in the windage. The problem I was having is once I got everything pretty close I could not get the impact to come to the right. No matter how much I clicked that rear sight to the left the shots were still landing left of center, as shown in the circled impacts below. the few that landed in the center diamond were a result of me purposefully aiming right. Any tips, suggestions would be appreciated (I'm well aware that it could have something to do w/ me pushing left when pulling the trigger - suggestions to this nature are also well appreciated - like how do I correct it)

ps. that is one sexy foot!

Attachments

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hrm - it was a fairly humid day.

G

·
Try hornady ammo, its family made and every batch is inspected and shot to insure quality. We had the same problem with my buddies R700, we switched from Remington to Hornady and now it can hit an Apple at 300+ yards round after round.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Is there a chance you were using one of the "ears" protecting the front sight, instead of the post? I admit to making that mistake for a shot or two, but never a whole group.

Is this the rifle you built yourself? There is the chance you barrel's front site was installed a little off. There is a thread on that AR15 site you can look at to see how to fix it, if this is the problem. If this is the deal, its not really the barrel, but where the front site was installed, the slot in the upper and the notch on the barrel dont give much wiggle room.

Another solution may be to get the YHM flip up front site, it is also a gas block, but the site is clamped on the barrel with four screws, and should allow a small bit of adjustablity. This is probably the easiest fix if the barrel is the problem.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
RR has some good suggestions and I would follow up by saying that the AR15.com site has a tremendous wealth of info that might help you out with this and most other AR-related issues.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a chance you were using one of the "ears" protecting the front sight, instead of the post? I admit to making that mistake for a shot or two, but never a whole group.

Is this the rifle you built yourself? There is the chance you barrel's front site was installed a little off. There is a thread on that AR15 site you can look at to see how to fix it, if this is the problem. If this is the deal, its not really the barrel, but where the front site was installed, the slot in the upper and the notch on the barrel dont give much wiggle room.

Another solution may be to get the YHM flip up front site, it is also a gas block, but the site is clamped on the barrel with four screws, and should allow a small bit of adjustablity. This is probably the easiest fix if the barrel is the problem.
Thanks for your help... I definately wasn't using the ears - as it is very obvious to me which is which, especially when looking through the peep hole on the back site. I doubt that the site was installed a little off as it was factory installed, but it is a possibility. I'm going to take a look at it and see if I can tell anything... However if this was the case, then wouldn't moving my rear sight to the left eventually get me where I needed to be, regardless of the front site being a smidge off?

Thanks for your help - i'll let you guys know if I find the problem.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Yeah, I thought you were all cranked out. Hey, did you happen to boresight that bad-boy? Very easy to do and it will reveal just where your sights should be. Holler if you are not familiar with the procedure.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
I had a Bushmaster once that was like that...called tech support and sent it back to them. The barrel wasn't indexed correctly from the factory. Just a fluke, but possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts