National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year deer hunting and Im looking for a shotgun. I dont know much about buying one besides the basics on shotguns and what feels the best. I considered buying a barrel for my Benelli, however, it costs just as much as it would to buy an entire gun. Does anyone have a recommendation for a price range between 300-500 dollars?

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
You can find some pretty decent deer rifles in that price range. However, optics will be more of an issue. Will you be shooting iron sights, or will you be looking for optics?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since its a first time deal, I wouldnt mind using iron sights. If I weren't pleased with them, then I would worry about a scope later.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Go to Maoobergs web site and check out the model 500.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Ooppsss! Missed the fact that this is in the shotgun thread. Can't really help you there, but if you're looking for a rifle, I can give you some advice. (How much remains to be seen, but some, none-the-less)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Shotguns for deer

Ive got an 870 Remington Pump 12 gauge with a two and 3 quarter inch chamber. I've had it over 30 years. It has been through snow, torrential rains, and extreme tempertures. When using buckshot I use the original smooth bore barrel with a modified choke, with top brand high brass buckshot loads (not necasssarily the hottest loads available, just standard high brass) with 12 or 15 pellets if I can find them. I find that works okay up to about 45 yards.
About 15 years ago I got frustrated with longer shots and purchased a Hasting rifled slug barrel and equiped it with a cantilevered mounted Leupold 1 X 4 scope. I use standard (not magnum) Winchester/BRI sabot slugs which are sighted in for 75 yards. That puts me about 1" high at 25 yds, 2" high at 50, dead on obviously at 75, and about 4" low at 100 yards. I have had excellent success and no complaints with that gun. It has never failed or misfired. It has been hoisted in and out and of tree stands and all other kinds of use and it still looks and performs like new. With that said, I'd like to add that I'm not a big Remingtom fan. That's the only Reminington gun that I own and have no regrets. I will say that I don't like Remingtom Ammo. I've had problems with their centerfire handgun ammo and poor performance on deer with their Copper Solid high velocity sabot slugs. The kick, noise, and flash was overkill and the deer ran away like rabbits and we had to track them. The slugs broke apart on impact and were found all over the inside of the deer by the butcher. They did not stay intact and anchor the deer the way the standard Winchester/BRI's did which I prompltly returned to and have been using since that one season that I tried the copper solids back in the mid 90's. I have no problems or complaints with other pumps manufactured by Ithaca, Mossberg, and Winchester, that I have used in law enforcement and other situations, but I'm partial to pumps specifically the 870 Remington. I see a lot of auto loaders out there that do a great job and people swear by them, but I recomend the 870 pump. I know that there are now saboted slugs and barrels that are supposed to be effective out to nearly 200 yards. I never get that kind of shot because of the thickness that I hunt in and I'm very content with the formula that I've been using. Good luck!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mossberg 500 pump around 150 to 200 used. If you prefer auto remington with slug barrel can be found around 450 to 500 Look on gun broker.com and you can get an idea maybe see something you like

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More bang for your buck with the Mossberg.
The Remmie is the superior gun but twice the price.

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
Remington 870 Express Special purpose Deer Gun 12 guage pump. Get the rifled slug barrel with rifle sights. You can always add a saddle mount for the scope later. Should be priced around or under $300.00. I have killed a lot of deer with mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts