National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law gave me a single shot 12 gauge. Says it's an ria tradition. Nickel and blued steel. It's got threading for changing chokes, but he couldn't find them. I've looked and cant find any information online about what thread pattern it might be. Not really sure what to do about it. I don't want to shoot it without a choke.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
All I have found is that they seem to come with a fixed choke. Did he have it threaded after the fact?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That could be why I'm having trouble finding anything. He didn't have it done himself. He's a contractor and did a job for a lady whose husband had died and she was getting rid of his things. He did some trenching and irrigation for a handful of different shotguns. This one just was recieved like this.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
You might call Briley in Houston and talk to them. If they didn't do it, they still might know something. If not, if you can get a smith to determine the thread style and pitch, you might be able to then determine your answer. If I had to guess, it MIGHT be the same as Mossberg and basic Beretta Mobilchoke.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
It could be me but looking at the pic and the choke it would seem the choke would need to extend down the barrel until it closes the gap (you can see the shoulder in the pic). Check out this site: https://trulockchokes.com/ It has some good info on choke tubes.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Going to a smith tomorrow is doable. I'll try to show you. I've got a modified from my mossberg. If this picture will load that's what I'm looking at. About half that choke hangs out, haha.

That's because your barrel is threaded at the muzzle while the Mossberg is threaded at the choke skirt

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That makes sense. Probably what happened there. Would that be some kind of extended choke? Probably just taking it to a gun smith might be my best bet.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Just make sure you are talking to a smith who knows about shotguns and not some guy who merely changes Glock parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll do my best with the gunsmith. Thanks for all the responses. I never realized how frustrating this could be. Theres entirely too many choke systems, haha.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
call Armscor/RIA..........they may at one time let a single shot model out on the market with choke tubes........if so, chances are its the same choke tubes they offer for their other current shotguns...........

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Most good gunsmiths or small mom and pop gun shops will usually have a bunch of used chokes laying around that they can try. Yes, do not shoot it without a choke in place!!

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
It could Be that someone built a budget “TarHunt” single shot slug gun. I’ll bet it had a rifled choke tube. As you now kw, the trick is to find the tube fits. Is it drilled taped for scope mounts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, so here's an update. I took it to a local gunsmith, and we found out they did make a few from the factory with changeable chokes. The thread pattern is the same as the benelli/beretta Mobil. 20.00 later I have a full choke and a decent little budget gun. Thanks everyone for the help and responses. I'll probably pick up some other chokes just for versatility. On a related note, standard rifled slugs will run through a full choke, right?

·
Aim true !
10,342 Posts
Yes they will. The choke will swage the slug down some. Don't shoot them without the choke. It will mess up the threads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts