National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question : terrorist walks out at 100yards, there is no wind. You adjust your rifle and line him up with your 2nd mil dot ; fire and hit. Another terrorist walks out at 143yards, which mil dot should I use?

Ok so what I'm trying to ask in the scenario is how do I find my perfect zero on odd ranges with a mil scope? Now I know you can adjust your gun at 100yrds, 150yrds, 200yrds by practice and then knowing which mil on your reticle works for that set yardage, but how do I know what to use at those odd ranges?

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
If you're shooting terrorist wouldn't the military be teaching you this stuff? Are you trying to shoot the terrorist shirt button or his shirt? 43 yds isn't going to make that much difference in elevation unless you're shooting a big and slow caliber.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
1 mil is 3.6" at 100yrds, you do the math and figure out how many you don't need at 143yrds.

Ballistic apps will solve your come ups for you.....you need good numbers....velocity, bullet BC, environmentals.

Or you can go shoot your gun and record/confirm your dope. .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Range
(Yards)

One MIL
in Inches
Range
(Yards)
One MIL
in Inches
1003.6ContinuedContinued

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Alright so your saying go out and shoot and record your mils for yardages (dope) such as 100,150,200 etc and just guess with those "odd" ranges. clearly if your 3rd mil ball is 200yrds then 230yrds will be 2.3mill down the reticle, correct? like how could you possibly know the holdover, it just comes with experience I'm assuming.

also is there some type of formula for wind speed and mils ex : wind thingy reads 10mph wind right to left, then that's blah blah mils...?

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Alright so your saying go out and shoot and record your mils for yardage such as 100,150,200 etc and just guess with those "odd" ranges. clearly if your 3rd mil ball is 200yrds then 230 will be 2.4mill down the reticle, correct?
Velocity and bullet BC and enviromentals determine bullet drop.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Question : terrorist walks out at 100yards, there is no wind. You adjust your rifle and line him up with your 2nd mil dot ; fire and hit. Another terrorist walks out at 143yards, which mil dot should I use?
Not a mod......but for the record, we don't shoot human targets around here. I would refrain from using that terminology, it throws up red flags for most of us.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Look up Military training book on long distance/sniper training and yes you have to shoot a lot to get the dope figured out. TRAINING/MEMORY lots of shooting lots of ammo.

·
Genius in Training
490 Posts
If you zero for 100 and say 150 is your 1mil mark, if you want to hit something at 143yd you hold just under one mil. When trying to hit a man sized target a general estimation gets you close enough I would say. If you need better than an estimation then know the numbers that you dial into your scope. I have my dope taped in to the scope covers so it is right there when I open it up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I see what your saying. I keep on thinking if the object is further away you would use your lower mill marks like when you shoot a bow that's how you compensate for drop. Top pin is 35yrd,second is 45yrd etc.So Just to clarify, your rifle is zero'ed at 100yards, your very top elevation mil dot will be let's say 500yrds and the the very bottom would be 25yrds.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway..............

Waking nightmares, night sweats, faces, wounded screams, ghosts that never let me sleep solidly this is not a joke, I have 2 sons wanting me to teach them hunting Desert Storm 89 to 91 has left some issues oldest son has gone with me he pulled the trigger, I have lost the taste it no longer appeals to me targets eh no issues, living however it is. I can not do shame really if my family were truly in trouble I do not know if I am fit enough to pull that trigger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts