National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got introduced to handguns a couple of weeks ago, where I got to fire a glock 9mm and a springfield XD .45(I think that was the name). I will be using the gun mainly for target shooting, but I will use it for home defense as well. It will mainly be used for target shooting since I will be keeping it near my bed locked and unloaded. I liked the extra weight, power and feel of the .45, but that is as far as I know about guns.

I would prefer guns with more safety features, such as the springfield which had a grip safety and maybe an additional safety button would great.

I would like to keep it around $500 if possible.
Thanks for all the help in advance.

Also if you can link any sites/articles that can give me some general information about guns, such as the difference between double and single action.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Just a suggestion, but if you are a young man and just getting started in the shooting sports I would think about a Ruger 22 semi-auto.

The cost is very reasonable and you can shoot all day with one. Plus don't let anyone kid you a semi-auto 22 with a good ten rounds can be a good home defense weapon. You will place all the shots in the same general area and it will be effective.

Most of us started with the 22 cal due to the high cost of center-fire ammo and then once our technique was mastered and our pocketbooks allowed we added to our collection with a 9 mm, 38 special or 45 acp.

Other than that advice I would recommend going to an indoor range where they rent handguns and trying out several types to see what feels good in your hand and that you can shoot well.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
My first gun was a ruger 10/22 rifle... great gun, and I'm sure if ruger makes a handgun variant it will be just as good. Cheap and fun to shoot, you can't go wrong. And as sig said, w/ .22 you will be able to place all 10 shots in the same area pretty quickly, so it is adequate for most home defense situations.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on your definition of young man. I am 28 and would consider getting a 22 later on, but from my research I would prefer at minimum a 9mm. I just never went shooting, and was frankly more of an anti gun type before this. I just really enjoyed the target shooting, that I figured I should get something to play at the range with, but also be able to protect me and the misses.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Well, if you were like a kid or something i would probably suggest a .22 pistol (no offense, not tryin to be a smartass, just being honest) But i really dont think a .22 is good for home defense, i mean i love the one im getin (Ruger) but thats for targets, not people. If you want a GREAT all around hand gun, look no farther than a .45. It has INCREDIBLE knock down power for the home and gives you a good feel at the range. So yeah, id say the XD in .45 heres some links: (id suggest the H&K USP but its well over a thousand bucks)

XD ($590):

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=69

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Your question has been posted many times before and it might be worthwhile to read all of the different suggestions. We have a pretty good search function at the top of the page.

You will read the comments from the folks who encourage a new shooter to buy all the gun s/he can afford and those (like me) who suggest a more measured approach, such as learning what's what on a .22RF or other smaller firearm.

You will also see that our membership is divided into a few different catagories, as well. There are the old pharts like me who have been shooting and teaching others to shoot since in invention of black powder and others who, like I said, buy the biggest gun they can afford and think that there is a connection between bore size and testosterone level.

There really isn't.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
:lol: +1 gunrnr.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What they said...

For $500.00 you can get a Ruger MK III Target pistol and a used shotgun for home defense. (I mention the shotgun because you mentioned keeping it close to your bed.)

The Ruger is about as accurate as you can get in the price range. Something you will appreciate as your skills improve.

Toss an Aimpoint on top (Less than $100.00) and you get sexy and accurate.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
If you can get good with a MkII/MkIII, you can get good with a full-sized centerfire pistol or revolver. If you don't like shooting the .22, you won't like shooting a full-sized. Shotguns can't be beat for home defense.

If the bug bites you after your initial purchase, you'll get started in a fun, rewarding, hobby and you'll be hooked before you know it.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
There are a lot of good 9mm on the market and you're sure to be able to find one in your price range. I have a CZ P-01 and it's a great gun, fun to shoot and easy to clean.

You might also want to look at the CZ 75, the Beretta 92 and the FNP-9. All are awesome 9mm's!!!

http://www.best9mm.com/

Good luck, and welcome!!!

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Go with your instincts....something you will hear a lot in life, if you haven't already...and get the Springfield Armory XD-45. I promise you will not regret it.

Not to thread hi-jack, but I am going to start a thread called
"Help me purchase yet another handgun!"

I really don't need any advice on what to get, just more purchasing capital. Send your cash, checks & money orders to:

SBH
Jack Boot Boulevard
Sweet Mother, Texas
1911 24-7

Thank you for your help and please have a nice day!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
There you go, a good starter weapon! Yikes!:yikes1:

What was that saying about "size ALWAYS matters" I want to see the holster for that bad boy.

As for the question at hand, go to a gun store, or range, anywhere you can handle the weapon and/or fire it, then make your decision. My question to you is, do you have small children in the house? The reason I ask is because a weapon that is locked up and unloaded is a paperweight. If a bad guy were to get into your home, and you are fumbling around with trying to unlock and load your weapon, it might be a little late for the bad guy to be frightened away at the sight of a gun. You may also want to take into account what the misses will be comfortable shooting. Yes, your misses may have to defend herself if you are away. That's all I have to say about that

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Go with your instincts....something you will hear a lot in life, if you haven't already...and get the Springfield Armory XD-45. I promise you will not regret it.

Not to thread hi-jack, but I am going to start a thread called
"Help me purchase yet another handgun!"

I really don't need any advice on what to get, just more purchasing capital. Send your cash, checks & money orders to:

SBH
Jack Boot Boulevard
Sweet Mother, Texas
1911 24-7

Thank you for your help and please have a nice day!

Check is in the mail.:biggrin5:

·
Registered
55 Posts
A K-Frame S&W revolver would be a great first handgun. Whether it be a 22, 38, 357 don't matter much. Whatever one you can get a decent buy on one in good shape.

Regards:
Rod

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice so far. I wanted to go look at guns, and quickly realized I have no idea where to purchase guns here in Tampa,Fl. I was lucky enough to pass by a gun range that sold guns, and found out that there are so many choices out there.

Can you guys give me a short list of some manufacturers that I should take a look at?

I am pretty sure that I will be getting either a 9mm, .40, or .45 semi auto. Probably a .40 or .45 as I enjoyed shooting that one over the 9mm. Like I said, I will be using it mainly for the range, but I don't want to spend $500 on something that won't protect me. I will be going to the range and renting some guns, but their selection is limited.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
If you want a good 9mm get a Glock, XD, or S&W MP. Which ever one that feels good buy it and don't look back. They all come in different sizes. They are good for anything you will want to do and they will last a life time. I should say short of hunting. Good luck. :biggrin5:

·
love the UK envy the US
785 Posts
I just got introduced to handguns a couple of weeks ago, where I got to fire a glock 9mm and a springfield XD .45(I think that was the name). I will be using the gun mainly for target shooting, but I will use it for home defense as well. It will mainly be used for target shooting since I will be keeping it near my bed locked and unloaded. I liked the extra weight, power and feel of the .45, but that is as far as I know about guns.

I would prefer guns with more safety features, such as the springfield which had a grip safety and maybe an additional safety button would great.

I would like to keep it around $500 if possible.
Thanks for all the help in advance.

Also if you can link any sites/articles that can give me some general information about guns, such as the difference between double and single action.
go down to your local range speak to your local dealer try a few rentals shoot a 9mm ,.40s&w maybe a revolver buy a gun that feels good in your hands,you can shoot resonably well and buy bullets that wont penetrate interior walls if you have kids but nothing says freeze like a pump action shotgun shuckin a shell chu chick.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Revolvers or pistols ADA

I suggest a .38/357 K frame S&W Revolver minimum 4 " and max 6" barrel. It is simple, versatile and effective. If you go with a semi auto pistol then you might want something simple and easy to use in all double action. As far as safties are concerned, traditionally you don't need one or have one on a revolver, and on pistols I think they might get in the way for home defense. I recommended the All Double Action pistols because it's similar to a double action revolvers trigger and your double action trigger is a sufficient safety in itself for most users. Bore size should be a minimum of .38 and as big as you're comfortable with. If you like big bores in revolver then .44 special is a good choice. If you like semi auto pistols in big bore then the Springfield that you were shooting would be just fine in .45 ACP. Be cautious of the real big bores like .454. Casull, or 500 S&W Mag. They're a real handful and cost a fortune to shoot, and .44 Mag is also a tough one to tame. Don't listen to the "Make My Day" knuckleheads. Go to a good reutable gun dealer and get some advise from a guy that's been around a while.
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts