National Gun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a new hunting rifle and can’t make up my mind. I am looking at a Henry big boy steel in 44 mag and a model 70 sporter in 30-06. Both are around 700$ and I can’t make up my mind on what one to buy. I have a lever 30-30 already so I’m leaning towards the m70 for my long range hunting gun. Thoughts?

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the 44 Magnum but look at a 357 Magnum ballistics. You get a bit more velocity at a longer barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have but I believe you get a lot more energy with the 44 so I can stretch it out to farther ranges. And also the 44 mag can be used for the black bear in my area. I do love my 357 rifles though, especially when u can plink with the 38s.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,019 Posts
What are you planning to hunt? And at what distance?

Reactions: Stamps6

· Registered
6,726 Posts
the revolver cartridge would be attractive to me mainly for the old concept of pairing a handgun with a carbine using the same cartridge....better for my needs for my mild/tame shtf way of thinking....also attractive from a reloading standpoint economically and less diverse components in these challenging times of product availability to be able to keep more guns running.
it would also be attractive using the dual cartridge concept should i eventually get into cowboy action shooting......though i see myself doing so with the 357/38 set of guns....

do not see myself hunting in a straight wall cartridge restricted State and i already have a 30-30 that i will not part with.........

so for me......i would go with the 06 if you just really wanted a great all-around gun/caliber for hunting to get a bit further out there and still deliver some punch.......

but for games, range play, economics, and shtf.......i would go with the dual concept of revolver and lever gun.

Reactions: fixitfred

· Live Free
4,510 Posts
I like them both, but I would lean toward the 06 for a hunting cartridge. The .44 is a great hunter too, but the 06 can do a lot more and reach a lot further.
The .44 is good black bear medicine, but the 06 is the better all around hunting cartridge...my opinion of course.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like them both, but I would lean toward the 06 for a hunting cartridge. The .44 is a great hunter too, but the 06 can do a lot more and reach a lot further.
The .44 is good black bear medicine, but the 06 is the better all around hunting cartridge...my opinion of course.
That’s what I was thinking since I already have a 30-30. How does a 44 mag rifle compare to let’s say a 223 in terms of ballistic damage?

· Live Free
4,510 Posts
That’s what I was thinking since I already have a 30-30. How does a 44 mag rifle compare to let’s say a 223 in terms of ballistic damage?
Comparing a high velocity 40 to 65 grain .22 caliber to a slower 180 to 300 grain .429 bullet performance is almost apples and oranges to me.

The big .44 is great hunting in brush and, in my opinion, is limited to about 200 max range, and that is pushing it. The heavy bullets penetrate well and break bones as they punch a .429 hole through your game. The .44 is at its best with non-expanding heavier bullets (265 grain or bigger) that will penetrate deeply into medium to large game.

The .223 is, in my opinion, limited to small to medium game, but is really minimal when looking to hunt deer. Personally I would not use it. Yes, it will kill deer, but it will also grievously wound quite often and they will run for a long ways and finally die. If one is using a rifle capable of heavier bullets (higher twist/5.56) the rifle become much more useful for hunting with heavier bullets being an option. But, the .223 shoots those little pills at a high velocity and bullets expand rapidly or even fragment depending on the bullet, thus penetration is minimal through any tougher animal like a black bear and bones can detour the bullets path thus rendering a kill shot ineffective in deer.

· Registered
220 Posts
With 60 years of hunting under my belt if you are hunting bear I would think twice and keep my clothing on. No seriously. I shot A 200 lb. male black bear years ago we both where on the run bear was trying to get away. The .44 Mag. 7inch Redhawk took a reload to drop him. I will never hunt a bear with a small caliber round again. The .44 Magnum does not have the ballistics of a .30.30.So buy both and stay safe.

· Premium Member
9,928 Posts
For hunting anything from antelope to black bears I would undoubtedly go with the 06. With the selection of ammo manufacturers and bullet weights available plus the range and power, it’s not even a close comparison. For short range brush, yeah I could see the .44 Mag but unless you reload the ammo, it gets expensive to practice or stock up. I have three 30-06 rifles and have my eye on a Ruger .44 carbine for thick NY brush areas but to be fair I’d be just as comfortable with my 06 in that brush. They do make 06 carbines.😉

· Registered
17,527 Posts
I'll give the same advice i always do, buy both. If you can't afford it now buy one and save for the other. Both guns have their place in hunting and the range for fun shooting but they are entirely different in size, recoil, range etc. I'm a sucker for lever guns but being you already have one i would say get the model 70 first.

Reactions: Wag

· Registered
1,831 Posts
the 8893234674 yup 8894098 ballistics coefficient with 6393 and a lil bit larger than 009342....GOOD LUCK.... The 06 a staple through 2 World Wars and Korea and the preferred of Carlos Hathcock but eh and old out dated antiquated round I mean google, research on my own the generate my own INFORMED DECISION, of course aint a youtuber, or great gun guru, I am just a guy that does the work., 44 mag is great at 100 yards to 150 yards if punching those distances. Then so is the 06 and it can get at least another 30 40 feet. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

· Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
the 8893234674 yup 8894098 ballistics coefficient with 6393 and a lil bit larger than 009342....GOOD LUCK.... The 06 a staple through 2 World Wars and Korea and the preferred of Carlos Hathcock but eh and old out dated antiquated round I mean google, research on my own the generate my own INFORMED DECISION, of course aint a youtuber, or great gun guru, I am just a guy that does the work., 44 mag is great at 100 yards to 150 yards if punching those distances. Then so is the 06 and it can get at least another 30 40 feet. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
In the hands of a reasonably good shooter, the 30-06 is effective for large game at 300 yards, without question, even with iron sights. For a well-trained shooter, 600 yards.

--Wag--

· Registered
1,831 Posts
In the hands of a reasonably good shooter, the 30-06 is effective for large game at 300 yards, without question, even with iron sights. For a well-trained shooter, 600 yards.

--Wag--
Carlos Hathcock? Mentioned 2 World Wars as well as Korea.......I see I see I will help sarcasm APPARENTLY is wasted....MMMMMMM hahahahahahahahahahahaha
I just got it YOUR one em GURU`s you got a Channel on the tube huh, lets us check ya out...hahahahahahahahahahaahh Taurus Hipoint Enthusiast perhaps hahahahahahahaha that you on the youtube

· Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
Carlos Hathcock? Mentioned 2 World Wars as well as Korea.......I see I see I will help sarcasm APPARENTLY is wasted....MMMMMMM hahahahahahahahahahahaha
I just got it YOUR one em GURU`s you got a Channel on the tube huh, lets us check ya out...hahahahahahahahahahaahh Taurus Hipoint Enthusiast perhaps hahahahahahahaha that you on the youtube
Why is it that about 3/4 of your posts make absolutely no sense?

--Wag--

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.