National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first post. Currently looking to expand the collection with a sxs. Use will mostly be clays, range and the occasional hunt. Considering a cz hammer coach or a wyatt earp in 12g. Purchase is more of a want than a need but who doesn’t love doubles. If anyone has recommendations for an accurate well made coach gun (under 2k) please post below!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to own one and mentioned occasional hunting. I like the weight, size, exposed hammers make the break much easier and it would sit in my vehicle alongside a g22. For home defense or any kind IMO a double coach is about as short as you’re getting try to open a door when you’re 5”9 and holding a wingmaster it’s hilarious.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Ok. I have little experience with the SXS you mention. The SXS manufacturing has greatly reduced the last few years. I grew up with only SXS shotguns in the house and I have only one these days and almost never use it. I do have OU in a few different gauges from 410 - 12 ga and a few pumps and autos thrown in for good measure.
It probably doesn’t matter much which coach gun you choose because they’re all related in one way or another unless you’re going for the high end stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I have little experience with the SXS you mention. The SXS manufacturing has greatly reduced the last few years. I grew up with only SXS shotguns in the house and I have only one these days and almost never use it. I do have OU in a few different gauges from 410 - 12 ga and a few pumps and autos thrown in for good measure.
It probably doesn’t matter much which coach gun you choose because they’re all related in one way or another unless you’re going for the high end stuff.
Thanks for the input. I guess I’m being paranoid because I have just seen some unbelievably bad reviews about some of the cheaper coach guns. Once saw a post stating their stoeger coach was pretty accurate on one side but 2ft off on the other barrel. To me it seems that around 900 you get walnut stock and basic firearm. Going to 1500 you’ll see some engraving and better barrels maybe “smoother” break and extraction. IMO spending 900 and doing some tweaking is better than spending 600 more for mostly (beautiful) engraving. But just hoping to make the right purchase the first time.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I agree with Mike, the CZ is quality. I don't care for the Stoegers ( hammer springs suck) and all the others are plain ugly.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
It costs money to make a quality SxS shotgun. SxS barrel regulation (making both barrels shoot to the point of aim) is not a sience, its an art.

A 'coach gun' is made for use at short distances (20 ft, or so) and barrel regulation is not such a major factor as it is in hunting guns.

Rule of thumb: An inexpensive SxS shotgun is a cheap SxS shotgun.

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
I love the cowboy look of a side by side shotgun but they aren't that great for hunting. More for self defense or just looks than anything.

For hunting get a nice over/under shotgun and learn to use it. For 2K, I'd expect you could get a great shotgun, perhaps even a good Beretta or Benelli.

That said, I'm not much of a shotgun guy, mostly just regurgitating things I've heard over the years.

--Wag--

·
Registered
574 Posts
Why a hammer gun? Why a coach gun? If you were involved in Cowboy Action shooting I would understand but not for hunting or clays.
Another vote for hammerless. Cocks when you load it. No hammers to snag on stuff, and break off, or bend when you drop it.

·
Super Moderator
5,591 Posts
SxS w/hammers depending on barrel length would be good for hunting though you want something in sn 18" barrel - hence coach gun. These shotguns r not really used for hunting or clays even. Possibly very close squirrel hunting? Don't know with coach guns, though I do know they r not good for hunting deer n turkey unless you're very close n the word very is to heed. Cowboy stuff n home defense I would say sure, yes.

So you're looking for s good new SxS n I would say CZ. I've been one too n through the years I found that CZ would be the best to purchase. Bit more expensive then some other populsr names though these r made much better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SxS w/hammers depending on barrel length would be good for hunting though you want something in sn 18" barrel - hence coach gun. These shotguns r not really used for hunting or clays even. Possibly very close squirrel hunting? Don't know with coach guns, though I do know they r not good for hunting deer n turkey unless you're very close n the word very is to heed. Cowboy stuff n home defense I would say sure, yes.

So you're looking for s good new SxS n I would say CZ. I've been one too n through the years I found that CZ would be the best to purchase. Bit more expensive then some other populsr names though these r made much better.
Thanks for the input I must admit after a little more research I thought they’d have a bit more range even with an 18” barrel. Either way will be purchasing one for self defense.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Barrel length has nothing to do with the range; choke constriction does.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are right barrel length has nothing to do with range and I am no expert but from experience an 18vs28 inch barrel should definitely have some different patterns full or open choke at 20 yards.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Most SXS coachguns have 20 inch cylinder choked barrels. I've taken down ducks with mine and quail I just don't take long shots and effective range is much better than 20 ft. I've also taken down clays with a coachgun at SASS matches and I'm no great shotgunner. People tend to grossly underestimate the capabilities of a decent coachgun. Popeye was correct go with the CZ, barrels tend to be poorly regulated on the cheaper coachguns.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
10,264 Posts
Why do I keep reading the thread title as "Help me pick a couch gun?" :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts