National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this site so I would love some advice/opinions on what is best. Here is my situation: I will be living in Socorro, New Mexico in the fall which is the only safe town in between civilized America and Juarez, Mexico, where 900 people were decapitated in the last two months. My friend is going to help me build a house there soon and I would like to know what is the best way to set up a property defense against a possible invasion of foreigners from the Mexican border or if politics go to hell and we cant keep order this close to the border. I will be living 100 miles away from utter homicidal chaos. I will also be building a bunker for nuclear attacks, as New Mexico is a high-priority military target. Given global politics, climate change, and human nature apocalypse situations are are also something I would like to prepare for.

I need a selection of guns to defend my home, my family, or my school. Here is what I am interested in:

1. a semi-automatic Shotgun with a choke and a large clip for shooting 00 buckshot at variable distances.

2. a mid-long-range semi-automatic Battle Rifle

3. a Handgun usable for concealed carry in an emergency

The trade-offs of various bullet sizes and types I do not understand well but I would like to go for Cavitation, Hydrostatic Shock, fragmentation, tumbling and other terminal performance effects. Also I would like to use rounds that are common enough and don't destroy my savings, but that is secondary to their effectiveness.

As for gun choice, here are my criteria:

Must be extremely durable/reliable
Must be accurate which means I would like to have recoil manageable so I could fire shots without too much recovery time which is a weight/caliber issue. I am a strong man so my tolerance is not a huge of a problem
I don't need the top of the line if it costs an arm and a leg.
Large clip size is always a plus

I realize these questions have been addressed many times in this forum but I would really appreciate advice not just on weapon selection, but their use in conjunction and in what circumstances. I am not interested in collectors items or showroom head-turners, I am trying to responsibly plan for the future. Thank you very much for your consideration.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This seems like a odd thread, but I'll play... just for spits and giggles.
I'd pick up any of the mossberg shotguns... 500, 590, 930.
I'd pick up an M4 and/or a descent .308 rifle.
I'd pick up a trusty 9mm pistol (my personal choice would be a Springfiled XDm)

The bonus is that these rounds (5.56, .308/7.62, and 9mm) are common rounds used by the military.
In a pretend world where I'd be crazy enough to be that close to Mexico... this is pretty much what I'd stock up with.

Good luck DS and welcom to NGF!

·
Gun Totin' Gearhead
586 Posts
This seems like a odd thread, but I'll play... just for spits and giggles.
I'd pick up any of the mossberg shotguns... 500, 590, 930.
I'd pick up an M4 and/or a descent .308 rifle.
I'd pick up a trusty 9mm pistol (my personal choice would be a Springfiled XDm)

The bonus is that these rounds (5.56, .308/7.62, and 9mm) are common rounds used by the military.
In a pretend world where I'd be crazy enough to be that close to Mexico... this is pretty much what I'd stock up with.

Good luck DS and welcom to NGF!
Essentially repeating what the Sarge has already stated, but more specifically:

1.) Mossberg 935 Magnum w/ tritium sights, semi-auto 12-gauge

2.) Springfield M1A SOCOM 16 w/ an EOTech 552 XR308 AA, semi-auto .308

3.) Glock 19 or Springfield XD(M) 3.8, 9mm semi-auto handgun

Based on your criteria, those would be my choices.

As far as usage of each of the aforementioned, the Mossberg would clearly be a close-engagement weapon, <35 yards for home security and such. The G19/XDM3.8 handgun will make an excellent sidearm in a SHTF scenario, but will also do the job as a go-to weapon in an emergency home invasion or for concealed carry every day. The Springfield fits the bill as a "battle rifle", and fitted with the EOTech I listed, can be a frighteningly effective gun at ranges from <10 yards to over 1,200 yards. In an "apocalyptic" situation, considering you're still alive to even bother, 12-gauge, 9mm, and .308 ammo is going to be among some of the easiest to come by because, like Sarge said, they're popular with the civilian market and are also currently in use by the military and law enforcement agencies worldwide... In other words, there's a lot of the stuff floating around. Similarly, a rifle chambered in 5.56x45mm(.223), 7.62x39mm, or 5.45x39mm would be a good choice based on the availability of ammunition, but I think the .308, though the most expensive now, would be - by far - the most versatile choice.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Did I see you at the Socorro Gun Show, last weekend? Lots of good stuff there. I'm not going to slam your post, but having lived in NM over 45 yrs, I can tell that you either haven't spent much time here or you've been listening to BS.

Socorro is appx 80 miles south of the nuclear storage facilities at Kirtland AFB. An enemy would have to possess much better bunker-busting devices than the US military in order to affect anything stored inside. Though there have been a few (very few) incidents in El Paso (appx 150 mi south), connected to the drug wars in Mexico, not much has occurred anywhere north of there. That would include Las Cruces, which is over 100 miles south of Socorro.

Having a good selection of firearms when living in Socorro would be a great thing, but not for the reasons cited. There is a great Gun Club there, you will be close to excellent hunting in the Black Range to the south and west and also the Sacramento mountains to the east. There is excellent bird hunting up and down the Rio Grande valley and special hunts at the game refuges.

Not to mention varmint hunting everywhere across the desert.

But as far as living in a dangerous place, it's not. Actually the most dangerous place to live in NM is Albuquerque, and that comes down to a numbers game, since more than half the population of New Mexico lives within 50 miles of Abq. and that's also where the most/worst gang activity is.

Welcome to New Mexico!

·
Super Moderator
14,635 Posts
Hi, I am new to this site so I would love some advice/opinions on what is best.
Hi. I'm not new but I have advice and opinions! Plus I'm working on my post count so I can play around in the game room.

I will also be building a bunker for nuclear attacks, as New Mexico is a high-priority military target.
Bunkers strong enough to ward off nuclear attacks are pretty expensive last time I looked into getting one. Also Mexico is not in the Nuke Club. But I suppose one of those Mojados could smuggle one into the country stuffed up his ...................... well, maybe not.

Given global politics, climate change, and human nature apocalypse situations are are also something I would like to prepare for.
There were some guys up in Michigan who were playing apocalypse and they got a visit from the FBI long before they got to the end of the world or invaded by Mexico either one.

I need a selection of guns to defend my home, my family, or my school. Here is what I am interested in:
Uh, your school? What grade are you in?

Also I would like to use rounds that are common enough and don't destroy my savings, but that is secondary to their effectiveness.
Don't worry about your savings. The Nuke Bunker is going to put piggy on a diet that he will never recover from. Besides the BATF is going to come take them all away from you as soon as they read your plan posted on the internet.

As for gun choice, here are my criteria:

Must be extremely durable/reliable
Must be accurate which means I would like to have recoil manageable so I could fire shots without too much recovery time which is a weight/caliber issue. I am a strong man so my tolerance is not a huge of a problem
I don't need the top of the line if it costs an arm and a leg.
Large clip size is always a plus
I've always heard that size matters.

I am trying to responsibly plan for the future. Thank you very much for your consideration.
Ah, planning for the future! Graduate first, or at least get your GED, then move to town and get a real job.

I'm sorry in advance, this probably wasn't what you were asking for but it was too good to pass up!

Alan

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Essentially repeating what the Sarge has already stated, but more specifically:

1.) Mossberg 935 Magnum w/ tritium sights, semi-auto 12-gauge

2.) Springfield M1A SOCOM 16 w/ an EOTech 552 XR308 AA, semi-auto .308

3.) Glock 19 or Springfield XD(M) 3.8, 9mm semi-auto handgun

Based on your criteria, those would be my choices.

As far as usage of each of the aforementioned, the Mossberg would clearly be a close-engagement weapon, <35 yards for home security and such. The G19/XDM3.8 handgun will make an excellent sidearm in a SHTF scenario, but will also do the job as a go-to weapon in an emergency home invasion or for concealed carry every day. The Springfield fits the bill as a "battle rifle", and fitted with the EOTech I listed, can be a frighteningly effective gun at ranges from <10 yards to over 1,200 yards. In an "apocalyptic" situation, considering you're still alive to even bother, 12-gauge, 9mm, and .308 ammo is going to be among some of the easiest to come by because, like Sarge said, they're popular with the civilian market and are also currently in use by the military and law enforcement agencies worldwide... In other words, there's a lot of the stuff floating around. Similarly, a rifle chambered in 5.56x45mm(.223), 7.62x39mm, or 5.45x39mm would be a good choice based on the availability of ammunition, but I think the .308, though the most expensive now, would be - by far - the most versatile choice.

I like the same choices. The Springfield M-1A in 308 is a top contender for long range defense or offense. Lots of choices on the 9mm handguns for carry and defense I like the Glock for reliability but like the Springfield XDm model with the match barrel a lot. Might consider going up to 40 caliber.

The shotgun, lots of choices here I like the Mosy too but have the Remington 870 pump and am fine with that.

I would consider a long range hunting rifle too. Stuff that can reach out there for hunting or defense. 243, 25-06, 22-250, 270 and many others, something with a lighter recoil and a nice trigger. I think you can have a lot of fun in that area doing some predator patrol and varmint shooting.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
He might be referring to New Mexico Tech, a leading mining and explosive technology college. EOD and first responders from across the country attend courses given there. Heck, even Mythbusters go there to blow stuff up.

·
Super Moderator
14,635 Posts
Then they're likely to have plenty of stuff that goes bang/boom and the muscle to use it. I think I'd probably invest in gasoline, a fast truck and a clear shot to the North if Mexico started crawling across the border. Sometimes you can't help being surrounded but there's no sense in staying that way.

Alan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

@ SGT_Calle and @ The Car Guy, thanks for your advice and especially for the in-depth info, those are some pretty sweet weapons!

@Gunrnr, you are right on both accounts, I am moving there to attend New Mexico Tech in the fall and was listening to my relatives in Tuscon remember the local news. I should have done more research before posting but i sure am glad to be set straight :) Thanks for the tips! I just love the area so I will be sure to check out every one of those.

@ Alan R McDaniel Jr, I am planning on buying a 40ft shipping container for storage and then I will bury that under a few feet of dirt, which should protect from fallout based on what ive read. I took a year off to work after high school and will be a freshman at New Mexico Tech in the Fall. Who in the world is the BATF? The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firarms? What do they want with me or my bunker? and yeah, that really is the most practical decision. No need to be sorry, its exactly what I am looking for and honesty is always good on the internets :)

@ sig232, good call on the sniper rifle, I was getting exited hearing about the range of my friends .30-06 1903 Springfield. What kind of predators are you referring to?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts