National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a japanese ww2 rifle. From what i have researched i think it might be a type 30, 38, or 99 but i dont know the distinctions. It has no serial numbers but a star engraved on top of the receiver. I would appreciate any information on how to go about finding out more.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Are you sure it's a Japanese? China used the Star as their national embalem and the Japanese used the Chrysanthemun. :confused:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Stankonia 4
these numbers read from the top down. If it is 30 it will have three horizontal lines over what looks like a plus sign. This means three tens.
If it has three horizontal lines over what looks like a shallow letter "c" back to back with another shallow letter "c" it would be the number 38.
The number nine looks like a lower case n. so nn would be 99
The "star" is the royal crest which is a chrysanthemum ( boy did I have to look up that spelling)
The fact that the crest is intact gives more value, most were ground off. A sheet metal bolt cover adds a little also if that still exists.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks alot. i am still having trouble locating any type of serial number or model number though and it doesnt look like anything has been ground off. what makes this gun more interesting though is i know exactly where it came from and who brought it back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also, to answer your question Baldy, it may be chinese because it is indeed a star and not of the japanese chrysanthemum shape. but the gun itself resembles the type 99 very closely. im having trouble figuring it out. i will attempt to get a picture tonight though

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Sometimes the French used a star with letters beneath (PJ, PT, PM, etc.).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is definately a five pointed star. just the outline, but that is the only visible marking on the entire gun. im not so much concerned about the value as i am the origin. The reason for that is, the man who brought it back from the war cut the stock in half to fit it in his bag.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Japanese Rifle

It is most likely a "last ditch" 99. Towards the end of the the war, the Japanese needed any kind of weapon they could produce and thousands of substandard rifles were generated to be put in the hands of the Home Guard. They were often very roughly finished, had fixed sights, many have no markings and most will have a wooden butt plate. The 5 pointed star with sharp points was the Japanese Army symbol. I don't believe that the Chinese used this type of star before the 1949 take over of China by the commies.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
An unmodified Type 38 Arisaka will be chambered in 6.5 Jap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts