National Gun Forum banner

Which Gun should i choose

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I’m looking into getting my first gun, I've done a little shooting but not very much at all and I was looking for some advice. I’m pretty sure that I want a 22 pistol and from looking around a little I've narrowed it down to 4 that I’m considering buying.

GSG 1911 22LR
Beretta Neos
Ruger Mark 3
S&W 22A

I know that I need to go a hold them to see how they feel (although I’m not exactly sure what it should feel like), but I’m looking for some input from people who have the guns. What I’m looking for is some that is reliable, easy to use and easy to clean/maintain and not picky about ammo. Basically a gun that I don’t have to worry about that I can take out and it will have few problems.
Also I know some of these come in different barrel lengths, and input on the would also be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,371 Posts
You need something that properly fits your hand. Which means you need to go hold hands with them!

--Wag--

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,130 Posts
Get yourself to a range that has these pistols for rent and spend some time shooting them.

·
Super Moderator
5,714 Posts
None of what you mentioned. Imo Ruger Single Six 22LR. Learn the basics before going to a semi....and even before that take a course and get your permit if your state offers a pistol permit / concealed carry / or like.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I could vote for the Ruger but that wouldn't be fair to you. It is what I would buy for me. You need to make your own choice. I definitely think the Ruger is a great choice but the others are good guns too. If you can't shoot them before you buy then at least hold each side by side and choose the one you like.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you can, hold and shoot as many of the guns you have listed as you can, they all are very good firearms. The last one I would consider is the Ruger, not that it is a bad gun, but because it is the hardest to do a detailed cleaning on (hard to put back together).

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
The Ruger certainly is one gun that takes practice to strip. They do get easier though.

·
1911 addict
1,040 Posts
The Ruger is a good choice. I love 1911's and shoot them regularly but to be honest I really like my U22 Neos. It shoots accurate as all get out and is easy to strip, clean and customize.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today i went into Sportsman warehouse, i was just near by and thought i stop in and see what they had on hand. I held the Neos and he showed me the browing buckmark and i he;d that too. (didnt get to shoot either though). I did see the ruger there. the buckmark felt nice in my hands. The beretta was ok but it rubbed on my thumb to hand joint. Is that what you would consider not a good fit? or am i just holding the gun wrong. I tried to ask the sales man there but he was no help.
Also the browing was 319 is that a good price for one?

·
Registered
144 Posts
The best gun is one that feels like you are pointing your finger at the target. Pick a place on the wall about head height and point your index finger at it now close your eyes, remember the feeling. Now pick up each gun and do the same. The gun or guns that feels and points the best while doing this would be the ones to chose from. The gun should feel like an extension of your arm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would stay clear of the gsg 1911 heard and seen a few threads where the slide actually blew apart after a few rounds, if I had to pick I would go for the mark 3, or even the ruger 22/45 handle a couple and they point well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts