National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone so I'm looking to buy a new shotgun and I'm stuck. I've been browsing everything online but I was hoping for some real input on here. I have a mossberg 500, I like it but I have a problem with the firing pin and some surface rust... (That's what happens when you let a friend borrow it). So I've decided I should just get a new one.

I shoot trap 80% of the time and ducks the other 20%. I have a budget of about $500. normally a 870 would be a no brainer, but my buddy owns one and I want something different.

I'm looking at the Benelli Supernova... I've heard bad things and good things. Any real input would be greatly appreciated.

My main concerns are I hear it feels cheap since it's coated in some plastic material. The weight is a non concern... I'm a big guy and can handle the weight. Also I know the 870 has much more add-ons available but with my budget I'll be shooting the weapon stock.
 

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
Joined
·
3,531 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Nova. I know quite a few folks who take theirs out to the duck marsh year in and year out. They're very well made.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I know you said no 870 but it is popular for a reason...
I have a remington 870 wingmaster 12ga and it just feels wonderful to shoot. I would strongly recommend it and you could probably find one in good condition for 200-400 dollars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I have a Benali Nova, It's a great trap and duck shotgun! It shoots 2 3/4- 3 1/2 magnum shells. It cost around $500.00 depending where you live. They are well made and built to last. I put 2000 rounds thru my Nova and it still shoots just as good as it did brand new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I understand budget limits and wanting something different then everyone else, but the Remmington 870 is one of the most popular guns for a reason. If you are looking for a very reliable and accurate shotgun, you can't go wrong the the 870. Even if you are going to be shooting it stock at the moment, you have a lot more options available to you as the budget allows in the future as far as upgrades/add ons. If you are like me (and most hunters I know), once you find a reliable gun that you are comfortable with, you want to stick with it, so being able to modify and improve the 870 as time goes on in my opinion makes it the only logical choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
i'd go with the 870 as well. opting out of the reliability of the 870 just because your friend has one isn't a good reason. i've got an 870, as do many people i know, didn't stop any of us from buying one. actually that was probably influential in our decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
If you do opt for a Remington 870, I'd highly recommend a ten year old used one over a new factory model. Sometime around 2006 I believe, Remington changed something related to 870 production - I forget whether it was a factory change or something else, but the end result was the the quality of their 870s went from "great" in, say, 2000, to "sub-par" by 2008. I don't believe this is overblown hype, either - I know a few people who personally had problems with newer Remingtons and it's a common point of complaint on some other forums I visit. I wish I could offer more details on the matter but I've never owned one personally.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top