National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time here, completely unsure if this is where this belongs haha.

I'm buying my husband an AR for his birthday. I spoke to the gun shop and they said to get ideas about what he would want added on (he mentioned optics). It's going to be a total surprise (hopefully!) so I need some help!

If you could build an AR for around $1500-$1800, what would you build?

I'm in CT so it has to be pre-ban.

Thank you in advance!!!

· Registered
17,547 Posts
What i might like and what you or your husband might like could be night and day difference. As far as optics on a AR, open sights and red dots are best suited for 100yds and under and scopes for greater distances. Open sights and red dots can certainly be used and are all the time past 100 yds but it just depends on the accuracy you want and the shooters capabilities. As far as barrels, handguards, triggers, stocks, carry handles, flat tops and other options what you like i might hate and vice versa.

· Registered
4,411 Posts
Unless you really know him or what he wants building an AR is risky. Risky in the sense that he may not like the choices you've made. I've had gifts over the years that I didn't really like but as they say it's the thought that counts. I had to use items I wouldn't otherwise use but to assuage the feelings of the gift giver who I cared about I had to play along. I don't believe in cash or gift cards as gifts because it's cold and impersonal.

Part of the fun in building an AR is picking the accessories you like in form and function. He may not really enjoy doing that and may not even be a gun guy I don't know. Like I said you know him best. I would suggest a basic bare bones AR. One can be had for $500. You can add an optic but talk to the gun shop and make sure it can be exchanged for another due to the circumstances of it being a gift.

The AR is the gift and a good one. The ability to add accessories that he really wants is icing on the cake. He may be a simple man and be very happy with what he got and may not want to spend the extra money on the gun so be careful with non-refundable gift certificates. Taking him to the store with him picking what he wants may be the way to go.

You can get advise from the gun shop but I don't know them you need to be careful. Some male oriented shops, yes guns and auto repair for example, make their money off of women who don't know what they need and don't need. I watched a clerk tell a girl that just bought a Ruger that Ruger has no [written] warranty which is true. He then sold her a store warranty and told her if anything went wrong she wouldn't have to worry and it would be taken care of. The warranty was not necessary because Ruger has an unwritten warranty and stand behind their products. That's an example of speaking to the woman's ignorance. Let me use that to plug Ruger and recommend you get him an AR-556.

They may up sell you because it's a gift and since you love him you want to get nothing but the best. Your stated $1800.00 budget can be pushed. "You can buy this but for just a little bit more you can get the best." You're up to $2000.00 or $2500.00 then they guilt you into the buying the upgrades. Their job is to make the most money they can. They should want repeat business and treat you that way but attitudes vary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.