National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put 50 rounds through my brand new Springfield and it felt super dry, so I have tried to field strip it, but after the guide rod, spring, and bushing have come out, it won't lock completely back. I can get it half way before I physically can not move it.

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,177 Posts
The slide lock is in between those two notches. Line the slide lock up with the rear notch (The smaller of the 2) and push the lock out from the other side. Your gun will come apart.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I field stripped completely and lubed all the metal points put it back together and the slide will not cycle smoothly back and forth. No idea what the problem is now.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put it back together and sliced my finger on the bushing. So I'm taking 20 to collect myself and get back to it. It's operator error for sure though, you can tell I've been a polymer player for years.

· Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
If yours is a series 80 model then I believe the problem might be the small pin that is sticking up on the frame to the rear on the right side. Make sure this is down. Slide the slide on right side up so the pin will use gravity and do not engage the grip safety when doing so. The grip safety activates this pin.
You can try this and see if it works. I went through this before on a few of my 1911's and this seemed to work.

oops must have just posted right after you. Just saw your post.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
UPDATE

I broke it down again (this time out of the 100 degree heat) and did everything slow and steady. Everything was done correctly leaving me puzzled again. I decided to work the action and it was as if the gun coughed and said thank you. It now sounds smooth and lubed up with no problems

Two weeks prior, I stripped it for the first time and lubed it, but not enough as I found out today. It was not enough to sit and then shoot.

THANKS for all who chimed in. My fingers are all sliced up, but I can sleep now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.