National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just picked up my carry permit and I am shopping for a pistol. I have been doing some research and here is what I am narrowed down to (what I like):

Striker or DA/SA Hammer fired
External thumb safety, and decocker if it has a hammer
Double-stack mag, for the grip width (big hands)
Rail for mounting light/lazer
Compact, or full size (aprox 4 inch barrel, full size handle)
Polymer frame
Quality make (Glock, Sig, HK, FN, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, Beretta, Walther etc)
Less than $1000
10 round mags available

I,e. a Glock 19 or 17 with a safety would be great.

My wife doesn't like guns and we are having a child so I want something for home defense/range that fits my hand and has some safety's to the operation. Carry comes later.....

Any advise appreciated. The manufactures all have different info on their websites in terms of the mag stack/width, safeties etc.

I understand the argument against thumb safeties, when you need it you need it, but this is what my wife and I are comfortable with and agreed upon, and I plan on "training around the safety..."

Thanks in advance, I know you probably get this post everyday....

My list of stuff to check out is short right now... FNX9 and HK P30...

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,413 Posts
Welcome from NC!

·
Live Free
3,346 Posts
Welcome from NW Iowa! Well, it sounds like you eliminated 1911/ SA pistols, but all else is possible. That leaves a lot of options! I can speak for the FNX-9 being a quality pistol that pretty much fits all your criteria I believe. I suggest you test run a few at a range that lets you if that is possible in your area. At least take time to handle as many as possible.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
S&W M&P 2.0 has various grip backstrap so you should find one that fits your hands; Glock 19 in size, mags from 10 to 15 and some can be had with external safety

·
Registered
213 Posts
I carry a Ruger SR9C. Comes with a 17rnd mag(full size grip) and a 10 round mag(compact grip). I have over 5000 rounds thru mine with not 1 single ftf or fte. The only failure I have had is the occasional misfire with cheap plinking ammo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Why would I want external safety on my pistol? I am not in the Army.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
Welcome aboard ....................... one critical requirement of selecting an handgun - it MUST properly (technically) fit your hand! If the wife will be using it it MUST also properly (technically) fit her hand as well! It would be best if you each had your own handgun which comfortably fits each of you as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts