National Gun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm from California and have never owned my own firearm. I've been shooting all week and I'm now ready to buy my first gun. I was hoping to get some help advice from some more experienced users.

I'm looking to buy a new reliable handgun for range shooting and home defence. They are all 9mm guns and each handles superbly. From an experienced gun owner's point of view what would be the best choice between the Glock 19, Beretta M9 and S&W M&P 9mm?

And on a side-note, I will be driving cross country in a few months and many of the truck rest stops have "No security provided" such as many of the rest stops in Mississippi and Louisiana. Is it legal to keep a gun in the car while I sleep at one of these stops? Or is it legal to keep a gun in the car while traveling cross country in general?

Also I'm in Florida taking some classes only for this summer so in order to legally purchase a firearm do I need to order it online and have it shipped over as I'm not a Florida resident?

Thanks!

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

Don't know much about those particular guns. Which felt more comfortable, and with which did you shoot best? IMHO, that would be the one to go with.

I'll do a little research on your legal questions. Should have something for you by Wednesday.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Welcome from down in the swamp. I own two of the guns you got listed the G-19 and the MP. Both are very good guns and very accurate and I am sure the M9 is a good one too. The G-19 makes a good carry gun as it is lighter by about 10ozs. The MP will shoot lead all day long if you reload and is a good car, range, or house gun. They both carry 15rds for pleasure or defense. I don't think you will be disappointed in any of the three. So it's really just a personal choice. Good luck. :-B-:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any of the weapons you chose will do fine. as mentioned above the one that fits your hand the best should be your choice.as far as travel and sleeping with a weapon your responsible for knowing the laws of the state your in.check out handgunlaw.us for all that state by state info and without a concealed carry permit you will be much more limited also check out open carry forums .glockbill might be able to give you better info on the open carry laws.welcome to the forum.keep shooting and voting pro gun.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

I can help with open carry laws here in Virginia, but you are always best off researching laws yourself. I doubt that, if you get in a bad spot, any judge will accept "I was told it was OK on a forum" as a valid defense. Whether on this forum or on others, always vet any opinions you get by looking up the laws yourself on each state's site.

Here are some sites for you to check out:

Open Carry.org
HandgunLaws.us
NRA Institute for Legislative Action gun laws site

Some states require the gun to be unloaded and inaccessable, seperated from the ammo.

Open Carry has a Traveler's Map for those states that you may not have a permit in, that's where I would start.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thank you for the quick replies everyone. I will definately research the laws in each state I will be passing through, and get that open carry map, before I leave and thanks for all the references. Firing the M9 today was beautiful and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with it... just going to sleep on it for a few more nights first.

One more quick question: what type of rounds do you prefer, and what brands are best to go with?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome to NGF, akashio -- Glad to have you aboard. Jump in and have fun.

KYPD,

~Rick
a/k/a "The Gunrunner"

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Of the pistols you mention... well, honestly they're all great choices, and at this point would only be a matter of opinion. Which feels best to you? I have never been a fan of Glocks, I think they're too "blah", but they are a good reliable firearm. The Beretta... well, it's another excellent choice. They make great pistols, and again, very reliable.

Of those... I personally carry a Smith & Wesson M&P9C, and have always loved it. I obviously am partial, and would favor it over the others listed. Very light... extremely reliable... and packing some good +P+ hollow-point ammo... it's an excellent firearm for carry purposes.

Again... you could not go wrong with any of those you listed, just remember to find which one most "feels at home" in YOUR hand!

As for ammo... well, for target practice... I like either Winchester "white-box", or MagTech. For carry , and defense purposes, I only use Federal Hydra-Shok +P+ Hollow Points!

BY THE WAY...

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
akashio said:
And on a side-note, I will be driving cross country in a few months and many of the truck rest stops have "No security provided" such as many of the rest stops in Mississippi and Louisiana. Is it legal to keep a gun in the car while I sleep at one of these stops? Or is it legal to keep a gun in the car while traveling cross country in general?

Also I'm in Florida taking some classes only for this summer so in order to legally purchase a firearm do I need to order it online and have it shipped over as I'm not a Florida resident?

Thanks!
Your best bet will certainly apply for a CCW/CPL in the state you reside, and watch the reciprocity law in each state you travel through. Without a CCW, most states consider having a loaded firearm in a vehicle as "concealed" and therefor "illegal". Even in those states where Open Carry is legal... inside a vehicle, it's till concealed. Just be very careful, as in your case there is so much room to get stuck with some odd-law somewhere and end up with a Federal Charge against yourself.

The Federal law on transport is open to "un-loaded, and stored" firearms. Provided that firearm is legal in both the state in which you're coming from, and going to... everything in between is protected by this Federal transport law.

As for your purchase... I BELIEVE... you'll need to purchase (and register if needed) in your state of residence. So which ever state's drivers license you have... get it there if you can!

- Good Luck!

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
akashio said:
I'm looking to buy a new reliable handgun for range shooting and home defence. They are all 9mm guns and each handles superbly. From an experienced gun owner's point of view what would be the best choice between the Glock 19, Beretta M9 and S&W M&P 9mm?

Welcome!
And have you considered a CZ? They are awesome handguns, very reliable and shoot like a dream. I own a P-01!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SheNine said:
Welcome!
And have you considered a CZ? They are awesome handguns, very reliable and shoot like a dream. I own a P-01!
The CZ look cool but I'm going all american on my first purchase :D . I've decided on the Beretta M9 and I'm going to fill out the paperwork today! It's a beauty of a gun; the firing and reloading is so smooth on it I fell in love the second i picked it up.

Thank you for the quick replies everyone. I'm still researching the laws of the states the I-4 passes through to ensure I don't get slapped with a fellony for just protecting myself. I do have to order 10 round magazines from somewhere though cuz the 15 round mags that come with the gun are illegal in good ol California. Do you know of any good places to order gun accessories from?

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
http://www.fta-ccw.com/USRVCarCarry.pdf

This site lists the statutes and provides a brief description. Check the statutes to ensure accuracy for the states you will be driving through.

Also, when in doubt, I would call the highway patrol HQ for those states as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the information TX1911. I'll be sure to call the HP in the states I'm going to be traveling through. Thanks for all your input everyone. I should recieve my M9 by friday!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,708 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
None of the guns you mention are "all american" Glock is an Austrian company with a branch in the US. Beretta ,a branch of an Italian Corp.
The S&W uses composit frames made in Europe. The CZ is as american as the others, its assembled here. The only "all American pistol" I can think of would be one of the Ruger models.

That being said WELCOME, this is a great forum, fun to read and you can learn something too.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
If you already decided on the M-9, you should be happy with it. I would always recommend someone checking out a Springfield Armory XD-9 though.

On the other note about sleeping at truck stops...ask yourself if that is absolutely necessary. You won't get much sleep if you have activity going on around you or if it is in some bad area. Mississippi has some decent truck stops, but you need to know where they are. Can't you just fork out $60.00 for a Motel 6 in a small town along the way? Even if it is just one night on your trip? You would sleep much better and can get in a hot shower and better restroom facilities...just a thought.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts