National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am a greenhorn/novice in firearms. Just recently, I visited my local gun shop to purchase a handgun for self-defense purposes (after the Dallas police shooing, I don't think anyone is safe). The DOJ certified instructor was very helpful and informative, I've learned a great deal on firearms and history (we both love history!). At first he showed me a Glock, but being a left handed person, I decided to go with a revolver. The instructor immediately showed me a Ruger SP101 4.2" revolver. Not to sound cliche, but it's like love on first sight. So I took my FSC test with breeze and purchased the revolver, now I got to wait for 10 days. To any revolver aficionado, do you guys have any tips or pointers for a beginner? Deeply appreciated!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Go back and take an NRA safety course. (I've become generally untrustworthy of DOJ lately)

Welcome,

Advice: think carefully and long about this question "Will I be able to pull the trigger when I have to? A.K.A. Can I kill someone to save mine or another's life." There are three possible answers.

More advice: read Ayoob's book "in the gravest extreme". Do more than that, study it. It discusses the when to shoot decision and what leads up to it. Read also his "Concealed Carry" book which goes into the aftermath of a defensive shooting as well as the art of concealed carry.

Even more advice: work on your situational awareness, know who is around you and what they doing. The best way to survive a gunfight is to be somewhere else when it happens. Stay aware and be somewhere else when things start going sour around you.

Last piece of advice: drawing your weapon is a LAST resort, not your first action.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,458 Posts
Welcome from NC!

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,088 Posts
Greetings from New Jersey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts