National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gun Lubber
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Ive been on here for a few years now, and it never ceases to amaze me- HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE from all around our Nation gathers in one place. This would make me a bonafide idiot not to come here for opinions.

Quick snip about me:
I was 5 years A/D US Navy, My rate (job) was a Gunners' Mate. While in I was a team leader for several Boarding Teams (small anti piracy teams that operate similar to a SWAT Team). I had a blast traveled the world kicked in some chests, drank some beers! Now that I have become "civilian-ized" I put myself through the Police Academy, in the mean time i have been working as an instructor/ and salesman at a local Gun range. A few of my buddies have started setting up a business to ultimately one day sell firearms but to test the waters we are going to take a shot at accessories (no pun intended :lol:).

The support I am searching for right now is some insight! I want to know what we can do to make a web-page that really screams "FOR US, BY US" (not FUBU- if anyone catches the reference haha)

What kind of products do you expect to see. Would you like to see training videos, reviews, what have you noticed other sites lacking, and or what have you noticed other sites / companies really nailed! What could a small American business do to stick out to you guys. How can we best serve you, and how can we convince you to give us your money for products vice another established company? How do we feel about T-shirts, Hats, bottle openers, pens?

Any and all inputs welcome. I have always appreciated posting questions in here! Your feed back is awesome!

Thanks guys,

Andy-
aka Gunn3r:44:

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Knowing the guys here. You'll get them spending tons of money with you if you can get Megyn Kelly to advertise for you. :wink:

Seriously...don't know how to help you. Could look at Bud's Guns for a good business model. ???

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,723 Posts
My input is .....

Limit the swag, T-shirts and hats are okay, skip the rest of the crap.
Include quality knives, survival and camping gear.
Include NFA items ...... suppressors and short barrel rifles. And have a legal source to offer low-cost NFA trust setups to customers.
Associate yourselves with the NRA, GOA, SAF, etc. Offer discounted memberships to each.
Offer an NRA-approved Safety Course on a regular basis ...... make sure you have a woman teach on a semi-regular basis for the ladies just getting started.
Stick with quality firearms, Sig, HK, Beretta, Ruger, Remington, Howa, Sako, Weatherby, Ed Brown, Carolina Arms, Wilson Combat etc. Skip over Hi-point, Taurus, etc.
Stick with quality optics, Leupold, Nikon, Redfield, Sig Sauer, etc. Skip over NCStar, etc.
Have a few experienced gunsmiths in-house, that can to custom work as well as repairs.
Have a loyalty program ...... discounts and free stuff for repeat customers.
Have a monthly raffle for a firearm or other equipment ...... having proceeds (above the item cost) go to a local charity.
Offer group and one on one training.

·
Gun Lubber
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the "Swag" shall not exist in my stores! Your feedback was phenomenal sir! Thank you so much. I like and agree with everyone of your comments! Unfortunately the first Phase will consist of online sales aiming at accessory type merchandise. Phase two will be online sales (FFL) of firearms. Eventually we will roll out into a brick and mortar style shop!

Thanks!!!!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,084 Posts
Regardless of what goods a new business is offering it will not be able to compete, pricewise, with established businesses. An established business, due to sales numbers and relationships with distributors, is able to negotiate better better prices than can a new business.

The way to overcome this is Customer Service.

I don't have it? I'll get it for you.

Warranty work? Stand between the manufacturer and your customer. Handle all warranties for your customers. I sold it and you have a warranty problem? I'll take care of it.

Remember. That red faced, neck veins bulging, [email protected]@hole screaming at you is a customer. A customer with money in his pocket, money that will keep your doors open for a little while longer.

This takes a lot of time and a lot of patience but its an effective way of competing with the big guys. AND... it generates positive word of mouth advertising that money can't buy.

BTW: Quality knives, if you know enough about them to effectively sell them, are the highest margin items you can carry.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
I'll tell you what i despise in a gun store, clerks who think they're the sh**, the top operator and everyone who comes in are below him. There's one in my neighbourhood i stepped in once to asked a question, didn't even listened to the answer and stepped out. There's a line that personnel shouldn't cross and for me that's what keeps me coming back or not. What ever is my knowledge of guns, don't make me feel like a complete idiot.
Online stuff is easy, show peoples what they want to see, new stuff, be the first to have it at low price, pictures, sales, that's what will attract customers.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,723 Posts
If you're doing online sales ...... make sure you have super cheap, super fast shipping.

Amazon made it big with the help of free shipping. Buds is doing great with their $5 and change shipping. That should tell you something.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I know it's difficult. Many people are awful and stupid. But...
You need customer service that actually listens to the customer. This is something that is not common. Most don't listen. Most decide what you're saying before you ever get to the predicate of a sentence.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
^^^ This also goes back to my previous post

·
Gun Lubber
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, Gentlemen, I really appreciate it! Hopefully we will be up and running within a month. I will roll out a schedule shortly to anyone interested! And then the website to follow. You guys are awesome Keep up Gunning!

Gunn3r/ Andy

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Other suggestions here.

You want to move VOLUME. You can buy a P-mag wholesale for $10. You sell it for $15 you make $5 profit. Cool enough. You sell 5 of them for $11 you still make $5 profit but you now have 5 customers that will check back with you on their next purchase. Getting them to check you out is not the hard part. Getting them to come back and lay their money down with you again and again and again that is what builds retail. Low prices on quality merchandise sold by people with a customer first attitude will bring people back for the next sale. Care more about volume than profit and the profit will come.

10% discount for all active duty military personal. 20% discount for all Purple Heart Vets. Sure you will loose profit but you will build volume, and customer good will. Most " Gun people " are pro - military. Associating your self with the NRA is a good move. Associating your self with the VFW is also a good move. Don't be shy about advertising it. " Every day in every way we stand behind the men and women that defend our country. "

Gun Hacks. We all have them. Little tips, gizmos, or training tricks that we made that make shooting better. Hack of the month, Every month pick a good hack and give the person who sent it in $25 dollars off the next purchse over $50 bucks. People will spend $50 just to get $25 off. Again you are moving volume.

Unusual gear. Think about the last time you went to the range. Did you take a staple gun and some staples? Did you buy it at a gun store or a hardware store? If you sell paper targets why not sell EVERYTHING that is needed to put them up? If you were shooting steel did you spray paint the targets with some cheap white spray paint? Where did you get it from. If you were shooting cardboard then did you use masking tape to cover up the holes? Did you use a magic marker. I mean really... people who use staple guns to put up targets have to get staples from some where... Why not off of you?

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
^^^ Old Jewish saying " It's better to sell 100 items at $1 than 1 item at $100 "

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Offer GOOD quality concealed carry line of clothing. nothing that screams "cop" but every day wear designed from the ground up to support the concealed carrier. and for all seasons.

If you can get it - mail order .22 ammo by the brick. everyone wants more

1 - 13 of 13 Posts