National Gun Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
20,879 Posts
Anywhere that sells prescription glasses can and will make "shooting glasses" for you. The important thing is to tell your optometrist/ophthalmologist that you want a pair of safety glasses for shooting, that way he/she can adjust the position of any bifocal/etc., to what you would see looking across iron sights or through a scope.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
You didn't explain yourself or situation well. It took over half a dozen post to get the pertinent information. It does look like you're on the right track now.

So you shoot 300 yards with iron sights? Why?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You didn't explain yourself or situation well. It took over half a dozen post to get the pertinent information. It does look like you're on the right track now.

So you shoot 300 yards with iron sights? Why?
Because that is real shooting. There is a challenge there. Anybody can put all the holes in the black with a scope, it is easy when you have cross hairs showing you the exact spot the bullet will hit. But hitting the exact spot on a target far away with open sights is another matter altogether. You cannot see that exact center point and you do nit have a set of cross hairs showing exactly where the bullet will hit. To me it is a much better show of a marksman's experience. I was taught with iron sights at a very young age and have enjoyed it throughout my life. It earned me very high marks and praise in the military on my very first weeks on the range. They immediately moved me to the advanced and expert coarse. I have shot 600 and 1,000 yard on paper with opens when I was younger and I could see well enough and I would still try but there are no ranges around here that long and paper targets for those distance are hard to find and very pricey anymore. I think I could still do 600 but I seriously doubt I could do a 1,000. If you have never done it you ought to try, push yourself a bit and you might be surprised at just how much fun it is. And you might find out you are actually a better shot than you think. Or...................................... Well, we won't go there. I have let guys use my gun and they swear it is the guns fault as to why they can't hit a 3 foot by 2 1/2 foot target at 300 yards and then I load up the very same gun and put five in a 4" pattern in the center of that same target.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Anywhere that sells prescription glasses can and will make "shooting glasses" for you. The important thing is to tell your optometrist/ophthalmologist that you want a pair of safety glasses for shooting, that way he/she can adjust the position of any bifocal/etc., to what you would see looking across iron sights or through a scope.
You do not seem to understand, I live in NJ and just the mention of guns will bring the mark of the devil and hush everyone within hearing distance of you. It is crazy here. Remember that this state has the most restrictive gun laws in the country and the media here has effectively convinced the people in this state that any mention of a gun means a mass shooting is imminent. I did find a really good Dr. Who worked with me very well based on just measurements since there was no way I could take a weapon in with me. I have the script but Costco does NOT make safety glasses! They have regular glasses, I know they are polycarbonite as I have gotten them for years but they are not full wrap around protection.

·
Aim true !
9,460 Posts
Well then drive over to Pa and order your glasses.:wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
:laughing: Yea, I could do that. I was looking for a decent set of my older large frames to take for the lenses so I didn't have to pay even more for frames I don't need and I came across my dads old shooting glasses. Aviator glasses from the 40's-50's with glass trifocal lenses. Actually lot too bad at the top level but the rest of the levels are far to close plus I have astigmatism so they will not work as they are but I am definitely going to use those frames!

·
Banned
7,632 Posts
Ok, I am the brand new guy here and the last thing I want to do is get off on the wrong foot! I think we have a failure to communicate what I mean here. I do get my regular glasses at Costco and I just ordered a pair of transitions with the anti glare and all that today for 260.00. BUT, The optician told me they do NOT have safety glasses nor would they do the inserts that come in the better shooting glasses. So yes, I could get another pair of regular glasses with my shooting prescription but they would NOT be approved shooting glasses. I am thinking what I am going to do is get a pair of glasses like you suggest in sunglasses and then get the over the glasses type of shooting glasses, the problem with that idea is you can never get a good seal with the muffs that way and I cannot wear ear plugs.
You don't need "safety" lenses. Most glasses purchased today are made of the same material.

·
Aim true !
9,460 Posts
You can always put side protectors on the arms.

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
Are you in Randolph? I was just up in Hackettstown gun shop and we were taking about glasses. They said there’s a guy in Parsippany who does prescription glasses for shooting with tinting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No, I am in S. Jersey. There are a lot of places up in N. Jersey that do shooting stuff but just about nothing down here. There is only one place that sells reloading stuff and that is Cheyenne mountain and they think everything is made of gold! I get it cheaper online even with the hazmat fees! I am just going to go with a pair of large frame poly lenses in the old aviator frames as far as the glasses. If the script works out I will copy it to my phone and that way if I am out of state somewhere and I find a place that will actually have and make the shooting glasses with the prescription inserts I will get them done then.
This is something along the lines of what I am looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Archery-Shooting-Sunglasses-Prescription/dp/B01G5NE2L8

·
Registered
655 Posts
IF you are a Veteran, the VA will and does do shooters lenses. I have small rectangle frames with poly carbonate lens tinted dark yellow which takes out the green at stop lights and the haze out of the sky. Been doing this for more than 10 years. A second pair I have done at one of the quickie glasses places for less than $50.00 and I furnish the frames. You can use this as primary if not a Veteran.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
IF you are a Veteran, the VA will and does do shooters lenses. I have small rectangle frames with poly carbonate lens tinted dark yellow which takes out the green at stop lights and the haze out of the sky. Been doing this for more than 10 years. A second pair I have done at one of the quickie glasses places for less than $50.00 and I furnish the frames. You can use this as primary if not a Veteran.
I am a vet but I cut all ties with the VA back in 1975, They were a farce back then and from what I hear from some vets nowadays things haven't really changed. They wanted to get me addicted to drugs back then and I told them I was not going to take that much pain medication. They said well we can't help you then. No problem, I have not seen them since. I talked to a Sandbox vet not long ago and they want to do the same exact thing with him for PTSD medication. He looked it up and what they want to give him will be very detrimental so he told them no. ANYWAY, That is a totally off the topic discussion for another time and place. I appreciate your telling me about them providing glasses, I will keep it in mind since it does not involve drugs. Probably still involves a 6 hour wait in line.:wink:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky I say the EYE Dr that prescribed the script in the beginning or he should be able to point in right direction

21 - 35 of 35 Posts