National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an excellent condition H&R "Heavy Barrel Reinforced Breech" 10 gauge shotgun with a 32" barrel. This one is massive in construction and was meant for the heavy "water fowling" loads available in the 1930's and early 1940's. It is a single barrel, hinged frame and weighs over 7.5 lbs. It doesn't appear to have been very heavily used - I can't imagine why. It also has a professionally installed Pachmayr "White Line" butt pad.
At the breech, the barrel steel is 1/4" thick at the breech and at the muzzle it is 5/32". Bore measures right around 3/4" and is "crowned" - I believe this indicates full choke for the 10 gauge load. This piece is built like an anti-tank gun...I'm really tempted to give it a try.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: Heavy barrel 10 gauge

My brother found one just like it at a pawn shop about three years ago but his has a 24" barrel. It's an awesome looking piece. Looks more like a serious elephant gun than a shotgun. I've tried to find one myself just for the WOW factor. The pics don't get close to doing the gun justice. It is a massive shooter. I've shot trap with his. You don't have to second guess a hit. Mind my asking what you had to give for yours?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Trapper -
You're right about the pics not doing justice. I think I'll do another set with comparison between the heavy 10 and a modern "normal" 12. That should be a bit more illustrative.
$265 + S&H.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Baldy said:
Hey Mr Magnum is that hammer tang bent a little or is that just the way the photo came out and made it look that way :?: :) You'd have to give a duck about 1/4mile head start or you would wind up with a bunch of feathers and no meat. ;)
GOOD EYES, Baldy. I just took a close look at it and it IS machined with a slight right hand cant to the hammer spur. It takes a bit of thumb strength to cock the hammer, so I'm thinking it is done intentionally to give the shooter (right hander) some mechanical advantage when thumbing the hammer back. Very interesting. It would be interesting if Trapper can take a look at his brother's to see if it has the same offset.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Heavy barrel 10 gauge - with pictures, pics added 11/15

Here's some pics of the 10 ga. Heavy compared to a more modern (2004) single barrel 12 ga. standard:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right, EX. It's hard to get the coloration and detail - I need to get some daylight type bulbs for my flood lights and a bit more light - also the transfer from my computer to the storage site then to here takes away some of the fine detail.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
I have something very similar made by "Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works" in 16 gauge. Everything is built much heavier than it needs to be. These guns are really interesting from a strength and quality standpoint. Bill T.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts