National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean besides looking the part,wat do they do? Ive put two full mags thru my 870x No glowing barrel,no warping,warm but not Bad So wat do they do? ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mainly they do nothing but look stupid. They do add some weight if the recoil of your shotgun bothers you. I have shot many, many rounds through my totally stock 870 with nary a burn.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am no expert- but I read recently (on olive-drab.com?) that the addition of the heat shield and a bayonet mounting lug was made in WWI- to allow the gun to be used in hand to hand combat without having to grip an over-heated barrel. In this configuration they were termed "trench guns". Later, when the army reverted to issuing shotguns without bayonet mounts and heat shields- those models were referred to as "riot guns" to denote the difference between models.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
Hey, we all have our own opinion.

I used to have a Winchester 1300 18" shotgun with a holding stock, heat shield, sidesaddle with extra rounds, sling, and a pressure switched flashlight. Thing looked awesome :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

to me the plain one looks better. and im nto into folding or pistol grip stocks. they screw up the ergos of the rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
leeindy said:

to me the plain one looks better. and im nto into folding or pistol grip stocks. they screw up the ergos of the rifle.
So the bottom ones a Rem eh? I,ll take it!!! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heat sheild- a ventilated steel or plastic hand guard over the barrel to reduce the danger that a soldier will burn his hand on the hot barrel during rapid fire.
I have burned myself on my remmy without heat sheild, I was really wishing I had one.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
See, to me, I prefer the pistol grip - but not w/o a stock. A straight pistol grip is too punishing. But, I like the pistol grip with a stock - it is more comfortable to hold.

I really wouldn't mind getting an FN shotgun with the pistol grip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bgilbert said:
I am no expert- but I read recently (on olive-drab.com?) that the addition of the heat shield and a bayonet mounting lug was made in WWI- to allow the gun to be used in hand to hand combat without having to grip an over-heated barrel. In this configuration they were termed "trench guns". Later, when the army reverted to issuing shotguns without bayonet mounts and heat shields- those models were referred to as "riot guns" to denote the difference between models.
Thanx 4 that "bgibert" but it makes sense to me ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ssshhhhh *whispering* I think so too .... kinda bada$$ :twisted:[/quote]

Damn It!! shes doing it again......... :twisted:

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
shipwreck said:
See, to me, I prefer the pistol grip - but not w/o a stock. A straight pistol grip is too punishing. But, I like the pistol grip with a stock - it is more comfortable to hold.

I really wouldn't mind getting an FN shotgun with the pistol grip.
I like the way you think ......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Back here on Planet Earth, the usual number of shots fired from a long gun in civilian defense is one. As Jeff Cooper wrote, "A 12 gauge...is pretty conclusive." None of us are going to be bayoneting anyone in a trench, and no one is going to heat up their shotgun enough to burn their fingers from the very few rounds fired in a defensive situation.

The barrel might get hot while on the practice range, but if you are gripping the barrel and not just the forearm, well, you are just holding the gun wrong. I have fired thousands of rounds through my totally stock 870, with hundreds of rounds fired in single sessions. No burns.

If you buy guns to look "badass" or whatever, and you think a heat shield looks cool, go for it. But let's not pretend it serves some useful purpose for a regular guy - versus a doughboy in the trenches of Flanders. Anyway, I personally issued the shotguns to the soldiers in my unit here. No heat shields on them because they are totally unnecessary, even for a soldier. Then again, we don't typically fight in trenches anymore.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts