National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, my dad was given this rifle and it’s now in great condition, the previous owner threw it into a tub of water for a day. But we would like to know everything we can about this gun, it’s a muzzle loader .54 cal but why does it h e two triggers with only one hammer? What would be good hunting with this? Any info guys we would love it. Thanks

·
Aim true !
10,550 Posts
Please delete the F bomb. The 1st trigger is a preset for the firing trigger. The second trigger will have a very light pull. Water is how you clean the shot black powder residue off. I don't throw mine in a tub though.

Reactions: Jordan9MM

·
Aim true !
10,550 Posts
Cool thanks for deleting it. I use mine for deer hunting. Yours is a percussion cap flired. In Pa we have to use flintlocks in the late season. We do have a week of muzzleloader during the 1st archery season. I use an inline primer fired rifle. Not sure if percussion side locks can be used then. I'll have to look it up. But if your going to hunt with it. Check your game laws.

Reactions: deputy and gvaldeg1

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
you can purty much hunt anything from deer to elk with it....i have used mine on whitetail and feral pigs....
when cocked, pull the rear trigger first until she clicks, then sneak up on that forward trigger and gently pull.

If it was soaking in a tub of water for a day.....tear down and do a cleaning inside and out including barrel and nipple removal.....or take it to a smith and let him do it.

get to a bp forum or other dedicated source of info and read up on history, design, care, and using.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
"Traditional" Hawken rifles have fallen out of favor in sales and usage compared to modern designs.....but are still viable and i prefer them as long as my eyesight holds up. While this gun was inexpensive probably when produced by CVA back in the day, a new production one from several different makers would run $400 plus most likely....if not more.

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
Modern Repoduction of a Hawking Brothers of St Louis. They went west when the west was opened. Favorite rifle of trappers and frontiersman. Much more reliable than a flint lock. I think your uses a #11 Cap. You can use Black Powder or Pyrodex or even the tablets. I have a .50 caliber one and have shot lots of deer and targets with mine. 70-80 grains of Pyrodex and a .54 caliber Maxi Ball and you’re in business.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Looks like a CVA Hawken from the 1970's. Suitable for any north American large game in .54 caliber though I wouldn't suggest it for taking on grizzlies, but then I wouldn't suggest taking on grizzlies with my .58 Caliber muzzle loader or any other single shot rifle for that matter. Use real black powder if you can get it. If not there are substitutes. I'd avoid using Pyrodex pellets in that or any other side lock muzzle loading rifle. They are designed for inline muzzle loaders using number 209 shot shell primers which provide a much hotter ignition. One thing I'd suggest is replacing the original #11 nipple with a Musket cap sized nipple. Musket caps contain more priming compound and provide better ignition than #11 percussion caps. Also they are larger and easier to handle especially in cold weather than the smaller #11's. That rifle should have a hooked breech I'd suggest removing the barrel wedges pulling the barrel and using some fine steel wool to remove the light rust from the barrel. Hopefully the bore of the barrel was properly dried out and wasn't allowed to rust after the rifle was soaked in the tub. I'd also check the rest of the rifle for rust and wipe down any exposed metal with a light oil. Don't use WD 40 and avoid getting oil on the nipple/flashhole area except for the threads. Also don't leave any oily residue inside the barrel. The rifle should handle a load of 90 gr FFG black powder with an .010 pillow ticking patch pushing a .530 diameter roundball. If I remember correctly these rifles had a 1:48 twist barrel so either round ball or conical bullets will work with reasonable accuracy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys so much! Yeah he brought it to someone and they took it apart and clean it and everything, it dry fires good and all the parts are moving so that’s good. We will be doing more research before firing it or even hunting with it, it might just be a wall piece to be honest lol

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Thanks guys so much! Yeah he brought it to someone and they took it apart and clean it and everything, it dry fires good and all the parts are moving so that’s good. We will be doing more research before firing it or even hunting with it, it might just be a wall piece to be honest lol
If she is in shape for shooting it would be a shame to relegate it to wall hanger status.
BP rifles are a lot of fun.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am with Kilted Cowboy on this one. My brother drew tags for deer and antelope for the black powder season this year for a bit more challenge. His son and his best friend also drew deer tags for the adjoining area and last Sunday we headed out to the hills so they could sight in their rifles. Two Hawken 50's and a Kentucky 50 his friend has which is a real show piece with tiger grained stock. This was my first experience with Black Powder rifles and they are truly a "BLAST" to shoot. I highly recommend that you do your research and spend the $ to outfit your new toy with powder, caps and balls and go out and have some fun.

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
I could sit and shoot my Hawkin all afternoon. It’s a pleasant recoil and fun to shoot. It will knock the hell out of a whitetail at 100 yards.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel like we are definitely gunna try and firing it before anything for sure, just want to be safe is all. I know there are some shops around me that will test fire firearms for safety reasons too.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
If you have any concerns about firing it. Send it my way, I will shoot that one all day long.
I built a Pennsylvania Flintlock Longrifle in .54cal. It is more fun to shoot than any of my modern rifles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you do decide to shoot it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how accurate these rifles can be. I know I was. Best of luck!

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
It's a set trigger. After cocking you can simply use the forward trigger like normal or like deputy said you can pull the rear trigger first which gives the front trigger a very light trigger pull.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
YES I got one myself trade piece it was added for boot, one trigger is for set the second WOW I have shot both ways set and not world of difference. Honestly had thought of trading off or selling until I shot it, come on half dollar size groups at 100 yards I mean I got no complaints, I use moose milk, which is Hot water and Ballistol mix check out
you could do much worse....Dusty Winegar one can do so much worse..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mike Venturino wrote an article years ago about cleaning BP. He recommended using Windex with vinegar. I have used it in the past and it works so much easier than anything else. First gun I ever shot was a 32 cal squirrel gun from Turner Kirkland. I was 5 years old. My dad had the barrel on his shoulder and he would move up down left right whatever. I have always had a BP rifle since among my firearms.

·
AZHerper
3,797 Posts
I have a CVA Hawken that I bought as a 58 caliber. Most 58 caliber muzzle loaders take ) 0.570 diameter lead balls but this one has a barrel made in Italy and it takes 0.562 diameter balls. Kind of an odd ball (pun intended) so you have to cast them (molds are available) or find a source. Right now, Stone Creek Outfitters has them.

(Bullets, Balls and Slugs

The best I ever did was a second place in a turkey shoot a couple of decades ago. As I recall, I was using about 110 grains of Pyrodex behind the 0.562 lead ball.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts