National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everything is largely monochrome (black, white, silver, gray) and a few off shades of red and blue, often metallic.

We are now as a nation suffering from chromophobia: a hatred of flashy colors.

Solid bright rainbow colors are as scarce as hen's teeth among new vehicle models.

No longer can one buy a blaze orange, canary yellow or chartreuse Volkswagen.

I love new Toyota trucks, Tacoma, Tundra, but the flashiest color I will get is Barcelona Red Metallic which is rather a half-hearted color even if it still is red.

No new canary yellow or orange Toyota trucks exist on our market today as the were once common in the 1970's and 1980's

My favorite colors for trucks would be: chartreuse, solid fire engine or Roman red, canary or lemon yellow or blaze or competition orange if they were only on Toyota's color pallet.

What has that got to do with guns you ask yourselves?

Here is where many American gun owners and shooting sports enthusiasts as myself still rejoice in spite of dismal vehicle color offerings.

I'm frankly quite glad the gun industry still offers a large selection of new firearms in colors to my liking. I love any color for a police pump shotgun, an AR-15 or a Weatherby Vanguard all-weather hunting rifle as long as it's black, or stainless steel for a revolver. I'm sure glad that pink and camo still hasn't still displaced solid flat black among new sporting gun color offerings. I certainly wouldn't buy a pink Tacoma if it were offered but a camo one...maybe!!

The modern American market for sporting guns, at least does agree with me here. Monochrome is the way to go hunting and target shooting.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You can buy a new Subaru Crosstrek in orange.
I hate the name SUBARU and love the name TOYOTA. I'll settle for a new Taco SR5 in Barcelona Red Metallic.
I wish Toyota would steal that orange from the Crosstrek, though.

I like trucks anyway.

Have you seen the new TRD Pro in Army?

Barcelona Red Metallic is not too boring:

·
Aim true !
10,258 Posts
I like fords ruby red.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
I have 3 white Chevy’s. They never really look dirty. White is a great color fora work truck. The lettering shows up and they don’t show dents like a dark color.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not sure I understand the OPs point.
I live in South and like white because:
1) It reflects sunlight heat in summer and
2) isn't faddish, such that resale value isn't hurt 10 to 12 years down the line.
The point is, being raised in California during the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's, I was accustomed to a lot of faddish colors. My mother always chose plain white vehicles during that era.
White bores me to death. I've had a fire-engine red 1995 Ford F-150 truck, fire-engine red 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 convertible with black top, fire-engine red 1992 Corvette, fire-engine red 1986 Dodge ram D-50 truck and a fire engine red 2002 Ford Ranger. I had a canary yellow 1977 Datsun B-210 hatchback with black vinyl hard top and a 1973 Dastun 1600 pickup in burnt orange with black racing stripes. I've also had a couple white vehicles, a coupe silver ones and a couple black ones as well a s a copper metallic 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera sedan. My current 1995 Toyota Corolla DX sedan is teal blue metallic and on the dark side. I once had a 1980 Toyota Corolla sedan in a light brown metallic. I had a 1979 Oldsmobile 98 in two-tone metallic blue and a 1986 Chevy Custom Deluxe in doeskin tan, buff, cream. Oh, a 1995 Lincoln Continental in a gold metallic color like champagne.

The vehicle air conditioning cools me in hot weather.

I am saddened by the lack of availability of vehicle colors today with some smile and some sunshine.

But my hat is off to the gun industry for maintaining those conservative firearm colors I so love: black and stainless steel.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have 3 white Chevy’s. They never really look dirty. White is a great color fora work truck. The lettering shows up and they don’t show dents like a dark color.
I had a 1999 Chevy Silverado, white followed by a 1999 Dodge Ram Magnum 360 Sport white, with blue lettering graphic. I also once owned a 1983 Datsun 280ZX Turbo with white exterior, red interior and black racing stripes. My 1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza 2+2 coupe was black with red trim.

Some of my vehicles were junk that only lasted a few months or were not kept for long. The 1979 Oldsmobile was a diesel and was dumped two months after purchasing it five years old.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What does this discussion have to do with guns?
It really belongs in off topics.
It has everything to do with the current firearms colors and finishes offered.

The color of your guns is an important topic.

I had to contrast gun finishes with automobile finishes to make a point.

Why do we have all these weird pink and camo guns these days but not one automaker offers a vehicle on our market in factory pink or camo?

Why do we like faddish firearm colors but conservative vehicle colors these days?

I like conservative gun finishes but wild car and truck colors and especially Harley-Davidson motorcycles in wild colors.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It has everything to do with the current firearms colors and finishes offered.

The color of your guns is an important topic.

I had to contrast gun finishes with automobile finishes to make a point.

Why do we have all these weird pink and camo guns these days but not one automaker offers a vehicle on our market in factory pink or camo?

Why do we like faddish firearm colors but conservative vehicle colors these days?

I like conservative gun finishes but wild car and truck colors and especially Harley-Davidson motorcycles in wild colors.
OK, I missed the point i guess.
Then again, I don't like colored guns and damn sured don't want a pink handgun!
Bad enough my new VP9 is in a dove gray, but that is all they had in stock at the time.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK, I missed the point i guess.
Then again, I don't like colored guns and damn sured don't want a pink handgun!
Bad enough my new VP9 is in a dove gray, but that is all they had in stock at the time.
The dove gray doesn't look half shabby but I would prefer a plastic (or part-plastic) pistol as a Glock in BLACK still.
An all-metal handgun like a Colt 45 in stainless maybe. Certainly a Colt Cobra revolver in stainless.
I consider military-style black finishes and stainless highly rust-resistant. I consider blue prone to rust.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Yes most vehicles have sort of a very plain color spectrum which is fitting because most vehicles are very plain looking anyway. Some car companies have been bringing back some of the older color schemes they had back in the day but they are mostly on sports/muscle cars. Seems like Chrysler has more options from what i see and then maybe ford with GM tailing behind.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Not sure I understand the OPs point.
I live in South and like white because:
1) It reflects sunlight heat in summer and
2) isn't faddish, such that resale value isn't hurt 10 to 12 years down the line.
Absolutely....reds, blacks, browns and deep greens all fade very poorly after being in the sun

·
Live Free
2,867 Posts
The dove gray doesn't look half shabby but I would prefer a plastic (or part-plastic) pistol as a Glock in BLACK still.
An all-metal handgun like a Colt 45 in stainless maybe. Certainly a Colt Cobra revolver in stainless.
I consider military-style black finishes and stainless highly rust-resistant. I consider blue prone to rust.
I really like blued steel and wood, though there is nothing wrong with stainless, but blued steel is downright beautiful, and can be kept up through the years just fine as evidenced by these three Rugers. The black coatings today are quite serviceable, but they lack in overall appearance compared to quality blueing. That VP9 looks like it would fit right in wrapped in plastic blow molded packaging in the toy department; don’t misunderstand, nothing against the VP9 at all, great pistol, but it is made to look a bit like...well like a toy in my opinion.

70E65186-A40C-48B3-B56D-9DF29428A4BA.jpeg

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,922 Posts
Function over form.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
well......if the auto industry will get around to making some polymer pickups......then we will probably get some more colors as they will just inject dye into the plastic......

and since we are comparing guns to vehicles......sort of makes we wonder why we have not seen a nickle plated job on a truck......too shiny i guess so they keep the mirror polish stuff to tool boxes and headache racks........:lol:

the only color i miss was a slighty darker beige that dodge use to have on pickups some decades back........good color....it could go without a washing a lot longer as it blended well........

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
Guess someone hasnt seen Dodge with their color schemes for the Chargers, Challengers, and Hellcats. Even some of their trucks are running lime green and such other colors. Ford dont know of they still have it is mystic chrome, competition orange, some crazy bright yellow, arrest me red, and I believe they started with the grabber colors again or was the grabber colors for one year?

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
how about worst factory paint jobs/colors?

seems that for the longest, just about every white or silver chevy pickup in the 90's to early 2000's had its paint peeling off the hoods....other colors seem not to be effected as bad.....and no problems with dodge or ford.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
I like certain guns in certain colors. I’m not opposed to military type guns being that beige,tan,brown earth color. I like shotguns for water foul in camp or black for obvious reasons. I do t like my deer hunting guns in a high gloss but upland gun should be shinny. My work trucks are white for the reasons I said before. My wife’s car is white but that was just a right car right time thing. I have both stainless and blued guns. Nothing shinny nickel though. I’m not opposed to a red car but no teal, salmon or even green cars or guns.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts