National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently up in Massachusetts, helping a couple of buddies out. That being sad, I've been here about two months, so I am not required to change my plates, license, or tags. I'm staying with my buddy. So this morning, I was going back to his house, and its about 1.30a, something along those lines. And I was on the highway, but at this particular spot there is a plaza type deal on the LEFT of the highway (from the way I was going) and on my right a shoulder. So granted, I did a lane change, and didn't give a turn signal..silly me... And I see this State Trooper change lines behind me (NO SIGNAL EITHER) and lights me up. Now its 1.30 in the morning, on a Saturday night. So I pull to the LEFT into the parking lot, for the sake I don't want my SUV wrecked if some drunk slams into the cop car, or I don't want to get hit by a drunk.

My badge was in my back pocket, it was annoying me. And I have a shotgun holder in the passenger seat of my SUV, which had my non-loaded shotgun in it, secure. Here's how our conversation went:

Trooper: License and registration please
I hand him my license and registration, he looks over them, hands them back.
Trooper: Sir, do you know why I've pulled you over?
Me: Um, no. Because you had to fill your quota for tonight?
Trooper: No sir, because you failed to use a turn signal when changing lanes. Everybody in the State of Massachusetts uses a turn signal when they change lanes.
Me: Um, you didn't when you changed lanes to blue light me. Are you abouve the law?
Trooper: Well sir, I was in pursuit of a suspect.
At this point, I look at the highway for about five minutes and see at least 10 people do the same thing.
Me: Yeah those ten people didn't. Are you going to call your buddies and have a road trap set up to catch them or something?
Trooper: Sir you have North Carolina plates. Are you living in the State?
Me: Well officer, technically I'm staying with a buddy.
Trooper: How long have you been here?
Me: About two months.
Trooper: You're required to change your tags after 1 month of residency in the State. I'm going to have to write you a ticket.
Me: Yeah? Maybe you need to take another look at your rule book, lawman. Its six months, not one. And I'm not living here, I'm visiting, helping a buddy out.
Trooper: Sir, when you are pulled over by a Law Enforcement Officer, you are supposed to always pull to the right, and not to the left.
Me: Officer, there was no traffic at that particular minute. So I pulled to the left so that a drunk driver doesn't slam into the back of your car, and then into the back of mine. Also, since we'd technically be standing in the middle of the highway right now, so we don't get run over. I'm sorry, next time I'll make sure to be ready to dive out of the middle of the road.
Trooper: Sir, do you have a license for that weapon?
Me: Um...duh. I also have a badge to go along with it. Wanna see?
Trooper: Please.
I take out my gun license and my badge and hand it to him.
Trooper: You have a good night, sir.

My faith in the State Police is renewed. Its customary for us to identify ourselves as bounty hunters if we're stopped by law enforcement. This a--hole didn't give me the chance. And he was looking a little trigger happy, so I wasn't going to reach for it...

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
:sosp: ...... I'm having a hard time swallowing this one.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Sounds like you WANTED it to go worse, with an attitude like that.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
had 5min to look at the highway but no time to identify yourself - I carried a badge as a reserve officer for 10+ yrs and to this day still give a LEO the respect they deserve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was in my back pocket. Do you really think I was going to reach for it? And of course I tried to tell him. He kept cutting me off!

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
I saw that video of a cop in Ohio, he lost his job.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm currently up in Massachusetts, helping a couple of buddies out. That being sad, I've been here about two months, so I am not required to change my plates, license, or tags. I'm staying with my buddy. So this morning, I was going back to his house, and its about 1.30a, something along those lines. And I was on the highway, but at this particular spot there is a plaza type deal on the LEFT of the highway (from the way I was going) and on my right a shoulder. So granted, I did a lane change, and didn't give a turn signal..silly me... And I see this State Trooper change lines behind me (NO SIGNAL EITHER) and lights me up. Now its 1.30 in the morning, on a Saturday night. So I pull to the LEFT into the parking lot, for the sake I don't want my SUV wrecked if some drunk slams into the cop car, or I don't want to get hit by a drunk.

My badge was in my back pocket, it was annoying me. And I have a shotgun holder in the passenger seat of my SUV, which had my non-loaded shotgun in it, secure. Here's how our conversation went:

Trooper: License and registration please
I hand him my license and registration, he looks over them, hands them back.
Trooper: Sir, do you know why I've pulled you over?
Me: Um, no. Because you had to fill your quota for tonight?
Trooper: No sir, because you failed to use a turn signal when changing lanes. Everybody in the State of Massachusetts uses a turn signal when they change lanes.
Me: Um, you didn't when you changed lanes to blue light me. Are you abouve the law?
Trooper: Well sir, I was in pursuit of a suspect.
At this point, I look at the highway for about five minutes and see at least 10 people do the same thing.
Me: Yeah those ten people didn't. Are you going to call your buddies and have a road trap set up to catch them or something?
Trooper: Sir you have North Carolina plates. Are you living in the State?
Me: Well officer, technically I'm staying with a buddy.
Trooper: How long have you been here?
Me: About two months.
Trooper: You're required to change your tags after 1 month of residency in the State. I'm going to have to write you a ticket.
Me: Yeah? Maybe you need to take another look at your rule book, lawman. Its six months, not one. And I'm not living here, I'm visiting, helping a buddy out.
Trooper: Sir, when you are pulled over by a Law Enforcement Officer, you are supposed to always pull to the right, and not to the left.
Me: Officer, there was no traffic at that particular minute. So I pulled to the left so that a drunk driver doesn't slam into the back of your car, and then into the back of mine. Also, since we'd technically be standing in the middle of the highway right now, so we don't get run over. I'm sorry, next time I'll make sure to be ready to dive out of the middle of the road.
Trooper: Sir, do you have a license for that weapon?
Me: Um...duh. I also have a badge to go along with it. Wanna see?
Trooper: Please.
I take out my gun license and my badge and hand it to him.
Trooper: You have a good night, sir.

My faith in the State Police is renewed. Its customary for us to identify ourselves as bounty hunters if we're stopped by law enforcement. This a--hole didn't give me the chance. And he was looking a little trigger happy, so I wasn't going to reach for it...
Please don't take it the wrong way, but I'm assuming that you're looking for feedback, and I think that you sounded (based on what I read) like you had an attitude. Maybe you didn't intend on coming across in a bad way and it's just the way I read it, but I can't say that you handled it well. I have no problem with you based on our other discussions, and I'm not looking to create friction with you either, but in all due respect I think you handled the situation poorly. I think he's entitled to a little more respect and it sounds like he went the extra mile for you. I didn't like it when a guy questioned me, challenged my observations and then tinned me after giving me lip. I know you said that you didn't want to reach for the tin to quick and I understand that, but I would of had the tin out before he came up to the car. That eliminates the reaching issue when he's standing next to you. I would have also let you go, and just summed it up that you were having a bad day, but I wouldn't have liked the way you handled it. I give him the thumbs up on this one, and here's a polite tip for a closer: I would handle that type of situation differently in the future. I don't think every LEO will give you that kind of slack. It's their turf, they're in charge, and they expect a little respect. Last thought; Wouldn't of you been better off just saying "Sir could you please consider extending a little courtesy to me? I'm not from this area, sorry if I did something wrong, and I'm a bounty hunter (while showing ID) and I'm just hoping that you can cut me a break. I would really appreciate any courtesy that you can give me. That would have been my line, but that's JMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please don't take it the wrong way, but I'm assuming that you're looking for feedback, and I think that you sounded (based on what I read) like you had an attitude. Maybe you didn't intend on coming across in a bad way and it's just the way I read it, but I can't say that you handled it well. I have no problem with you based on our other discussions, and I'm not looking to create friction with you either, but in all due respect I think you handled the situation poorly. I think he's entitled to a little more respect and it sounds like he went the extra mile for you. I didn't like it when a guy questioned me, challenged my observations and then tinned me after giving me lip. I know you said that you didn't want to reach for the tin to quick and I understand that, but I would of had the tin out before he came up to the car. That eliminates the reaching issue when he's standing next to you. I would have also let you go, and just summed it up that you were having a bad day, but I wouldn't have liked the way you handled it. I give him the thumbs up on this one, and here's a polite tip for a closer: I would handle that type of situation differently in the future. I don't think every LEO will give you that kind of slack. It's their turf, they're in charge, and they expect a little respect. Last thought; Wouldn't of you been better off just saying "Sir could you please consider extending a little courtesy to me? I'm not from this area, sorry if I did something wrong, and I'm a bounty hunter (while showing ID) and I'm just hoping that you can cut me a break. I would really appreciate any courtesy that you can give me. That would have been my line, but that's JMO.
Honestly, I probably did have a little attitude. But c'mon, it was a BS stop! I'm willing to bet had I of had Mass plates, I'm sure he wouldn't of stopped me. And while getting my badge before he got up to my window was a good idea, I really didn't want him to think I was reaching for a gun or something. As it was in my back pocket, I would of had to of propped myself up to get into my back pocket. And you, as a retired LEO know for a fact, what he would of been thinking. I was a Sheriff's Deputy for three years. So trust me when I say, I know what I would of been thinking had I of been him, and the roles were reversed. You see somebody moving around like that, your first thought is "Okay, what are they doing". My thing is, I feel it was a complete BS stop. And that just erks me.

However, I am glad he didn't see the many tattoos I have on my arms. They tend to make people nervous too. When I was 18, just out of high school, I really didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. So, I rode with a biker gang for about a year. Granted, they're non-violent for the most part and I still keep in touch with them, I know LEO's. That stuff tends to make Officers nervous. And he was already a little nervous to start off with. I REALLY didn't feel like getting maced or tased at 1.30 in the morning.

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
No. I've never had an incident like that.

I've been stopped on occasion - including one night going home from work and in uniform. I've been issued tickets - which I deserved, and I've been warned and not issued tickets - which I would have deserved. I've never copped an attitude, even when I thought I wasn't in violation.

You think it was a BS stop. Right. You're on a highway at 0130 on a Saturday night - or Sunday morning. It's not like there are drunks on the road at that hour, are there? You mentioned the possibility yourself. But it is completely out of the realm of possibility he was seeing if you had been drinking. Right. Oh, that's right, you were a Sheriff's Deputy for three years. You never looked for, found or interacted with drunk drivers?

I've never had a problem because I avoid being perceived as a jerk; I work at not appearing to be one.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I have had BS stops before, but have NEVER considered being anything BUT polite and respectful. When I am traveling in my POV, I have my carry weapon with me, in compliance with ALL State Laws in the State I am in at the particular time. If it is a State where my Florida CCW is accepted, then the Officer will be handed both my DL and my CCW at the same time. BEFORE I reach to the Glove Box to retrieve my Registration and Insurance, I will be informing the Officer of it's location and my intention of retrieving it. If he asks if I am carrying, and if I will hand him the weapon, I will inform him of it's location and how I will handle it. It just doesn't pay to be a smart-***.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Given the tone you set for the exchange from the get-go, I'm surprised you didn't find a way to get much more than a ticket.

I'd also be surprised if this story is true and/or accurate.

Having been on both sides of chickenshit traffic stops (that's a technical term), I feel I have a background from which to speak. But then again, I've never been in Massachusetts. I'm sure the game's played much differently there from all the places that I have been. I'll defer to BamBam, who's probably driven in all 57 states.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have only had one problem with LE. I have only been pulled over a few times in my lifetime any ways, mostly for speeding. So, since I was obviously wrong in that aspect, I have always given them their due respect. After all they are just doing theirs jobs.

However, I had a run in one time with a county deputy, he was a real a-hole! I wasnt speeding or anything, just pulled me over and said I was racing! I was in a jeep wrangler, jacked up sky high with 44" super swampers. Yep a real speed demon that jeep was!!! LOL I took that one to court and won. Other than than that, no problems.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I think most officers are good, but there are jerks in every department. Recently I was towing wave-runners through a small town between the lake and the interstate and a local town officer spotted the out of state plates and he immediately turned around and latched onto my tail. This is not the first time I've been closely followed thought this town by the police. I suspect he was bored and figured that he'd at least find something wrong with my trailer lights giving him a reason to stop me. I made sure that all of the trailer lights and signals were working perfectly and it appeared that he followed me until I used all of the signals and he realized it, and he finally broke off. I've see them staking out a 4 way stop sign and sandbagging for the slightest roll and I knew what kind of cops I was dealing with when passing through so I always made certain that everything I did was 100% legit, but I can see where that kind of policing could be intimidating to some people. I always thought that we were trained to enforce obvious violations and something that the average person would take notice of (something outside the norm), but to just go sandbagging out of boredom is BS IMO! Final thought for me in this matter is: follow the laws to the "T" and make sure your equipment is good, and that will eliminate 99.9% of all problems. If something happens after that then I suggest to be polite and hope for a break because it's their turf and you won't win. Maybe in court you can win, but that's not likely and by having to go to court in a far away place is a loss in itself, win or loss the case. I developed a rule of thumb for myself when I was a LEO; If the actions of a of person are not a concern to the public in general, then I wouldn't worry about it either. After all, I worked for the public and most of the public is good, so why should I screw with the good people when I could just hang out and wait for the A-holes to screw up and then do something to them. Then all would be happy except the A-hole that got caught, but that's the best method of policing IMO. The book is for robots, you've got to understand people and treat them the way you would like to be treated and that should make things easier all around. People are not stupid and they can sense when they are being sandbagged. I always like a friend of mine that was an Atlantic City Cop. He saved his summons book for drug dealers, pimps, and other [email protected] when he couldn't catch them commiting a crime, and he never gave the good (generally) law abiding people a summons. If allcops were like that then the steets would be better and the police would have better community realtions. I also had a policy that all locals got at least one break for traffic violations if we were sent out to do that kind of enforcement. My thinking was; if the guys is local you could always start off giving a break and deal with the person otherwise in the future if a warning didn't do the trick the first time or so.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts