National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this today at Sportsman's Warehouse and was curious if anyone has tried it? I usually mix testors hi-viz orange and bright red to make my front sight pop, but at dusk a glow sight like my Ameriglo i have on my Shield makes it much easier to use.

I’m curious if anyone has used this particular stuff since it’s what I’m looking at. I wanted to know if it glowed anywhere near as bright as aftermarket sights and if it needed to be charged with light beforehand since the handgun is usually in a holster in the dark.

clickable thumbnail:

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,961 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah Popeye, The reviews I saw weren't real good.

I'd say is better than plain black sights.
The demonstration I saw in the dark:
1) Required activating the glow
2) once activated, was impressive, but didn't stay glowing for very long.

·
Aim true !
10,306 Posts
Go to walmart. And buy fingernail polish in bright colors. Cheaper and easy to remove if you don't like it. I use white as a base coat. It helps the colors stand out more. For the white i use a sharpie paint pen.

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
The last time I took my Ruger .22’s out to the range I was having a hard time seeing the front sight. I know some of it was that my eye is still not good and my backstop is asphalt millings so it’s black. Thank God I’m a hell of an instinctive shooter. I could still hit a barn broadsided. Lol. I need to do something for my next range time.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,464 Posts
Any plastic model paint will do, they have fluorescent ones too and it's like $2 for a little bottle
I painted my old GP100 front sight fluorescent yellow before I changed it to a fiber optic and it was great, not the whole thing of course loll just the tip of the part on top

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
As will bright nail polish

·
Registered
719 Posts
I used Dayglow paint from Walmart. About $3 at Walmart in the art supplies. I believe it is about a 2 oz bottle and will probably last longer than you. And they have different colors.
Before you put it on, I found out the hard way, no matter what or what color first put a base coat of bright white. Even if you use finger nail polish or something similar. It really makes the color pop out.
I wear tri-focal lenses and open sights are pretty much all a blur without something.
Of course the paint is no good at night unless you have light on it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,318 Posts
I tried paint and coatings for iron sights in the past. I found there is a lot less frustration with simply replacing the sights with something you can see.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I use testors enamel florescent works well.... for night I use Glo-on paint works well does need occasional touch up for daily carries

1 - 11 of 11 Posts