National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one heard of someone being severly injured at the gun range. The way I feel is I do not trust other people who shoot at the range. Do you feel this way also. I trust my self, but what about the other guy. For example, do you get nervous when someone is teaching a person how to shoot a gun for the first time at the range.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Yes, not at my range in particular, since its a private club, but public ranges where guns can be rented I have heard that people have rented the guns and committed suicide. Both in Oregon and in Los Angeles.

G

·
Re: Has any one heard of someone being severel injured at the ra

No,but I have seen lots of unsafe acts committed at ranges.Makes me want to be back at gravel pits or behind my father's house
when I was growing up.Now everything so urbanized and populate.I miss the old days!

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
That's why I don't like indoor ranges - seen too many idiots that make me nervous. I like the outdoor range when no-one else is around, or at least only two or three others......

G

·
some dummy jammed a 357 round in a low quailty 38 and i blew up in his face. had to have some shrapnel removed but thats about it

·
Registered
648 Posts
I once saw a LEO blow his hand off in the classroom next to where I was teachin Utah hunter Ed.

G

·
I wasn't there, but my neighbor shot himself in the foot last spring at the local police range lol......

I haven't seen anyone get hurt. But I have been nervous at a few indoor ranges. At that point I find it best to just sit back and watch the other people shoot for a while.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My most severe injury came from shooting a Colt 1911 with a Bomar rib. I had bought the pistol used and it had the Bomar already installed. I "assumed" it had been done professionally/properly. The rib/screws had not been micro-bedded or Loc-tited. After several magazines the slide came back in recoil. As the slide returned into battery all four mounting screws sheared off and the 6 oz rib continued backwards striking me just above the eye. The inch wide rear sight blade opened a nasty cut on my eyebrow which bled profusely. The force of the impact was enough that it almost knocked me unconscious. Everything went black except for a small circle of light. I knew I was holding a loaded and cocked pistol but for the life of me I couldn't figure how to render it safe. A friend who was shooting with me at the time saw all the blood and thought I had shot myself. I couldn't get across to him that I needed him to take the pistol as he was concerned about my injury. Finally that small circle of light began to expand and my sensibilities returned to me.

I never quite feel comfortable shooting with other (those I don't know) as I've seen some very unsafe actions. But since that day i"ve never really felt completely safe shooting by myself either.

Added: I forgot to mention that I didn't own this pistol long after that. I had it professionally repaired but could never shoot it well. For some reason I found myself flinching everytime I took it out to shoot it.

G

·
Several years ago two kids were playing in dad's truck. Dad's son couldn't resist telling his bud that there was a revolver under the seat. The buddy, who had never had any firearm training pulled the revolver out and son tried to take it away from him. Finger inside the trigger guard = dead kid. The surviving kid is pretty screwed up. The dad blames himself, rightfully so. Needless tragedy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If ya'll remember "Heartbreak Ridge" with Clint Eastwood, I saw a similar thing happen in Cheyenne when I was stationed there. The range instructor saw something wrong and reached over an airman's shoulder to grab his M16, the airman somehow got it on full auto and pulled the trigger as they were wrestling for it. The line of rounds went in front of about 10 people on the line...

G

·
My range is my back yard. If the weather is inclement, I shoot out the windows beside my computer.

Perfect Dog Gretchen doesn't like it when I shoot from inside the house !

Doug

G

·
People commit suicide at rental ranges on a fairly regular basis. It happened in Phoenix a couple years ago.

I believe a boy was killed in an accident (a ricochet, IIRC) at a practical pistol match in Texas some years ago.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Only in the Army. While in Radio school at Fort Ord we were waiting our turn to shoot and saw a basic trainee come off the range with a round that they did not know he had.
He placed his M-14 under his chin a blew a hole right though to top of his helmet.
They said he was depressed over the idea of going to VietNam.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
keninaz said:
Only in the Army. While in Radio school at Fort Ord we were waiting our turn to shoot and saw a basic trainee come off the range with a round that they did not know he had.
He placed his M-14 under his chin a blew a hole right though to top of his helmet.

That would be sad to see a young man end his life, so much to live for! :cry:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yes it did not thrill me at the time either.
Viloent death is something that many that served with the armed forces at the time I served had to get used to, or at least try.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
sig232 said:
keninaz said:

That would be sad to see a young man end his life, so much to live for! :cry:
+1

G

·
Well, my youngest son worked at a very good local range here in San Diego - for a few years - while he was in school. http://www.gotammo.com/

Although, no suicides there while John worked there - there were a few others at other ranges around town. His range disallowed any rentals to individual shooters (unless members).

There was once accidental discharge by a training LEO - he had a 'quick draw type of rig' and sent a bullet down one leg - nice welt - no broken skin - lucky.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
An Air Force Security Police trainee killed himself with a S&W Mod 15 .38 Spl on the range at Camp Bullis in 1972. USAF shared use of Camp Bullis back then, don't know whether they still do. That is the only confirmed incident that I know of. I had heard of the M14 incident back in the day, but have never seen any documentation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts