National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun #6 of those my wife inherited. Interesting in that it is the first of two shotguns and is a name that seems less familiar. It is a 20 gauge and seems like a no frills, basic shotgun. The receiver (?) has some pretty cool striations in the metal. Has an H&H Arms Co butt plate dampener (?)

Not sure what you'd use a 20 gauge for. I assume hunting but not sure what.

Anyway, photos below.

Attachments

· Registered
541 Posts
That H&R predates the last bankruptcy and finally sale of H&R to Marlin, whereafter it became part of Remington and was effectively shut down. I have a later version of that 20 ga.

The striations on the receiver are from a chemical case coloring application and that one has held up extremely well. I have one that has gone to a mottled straw/brassy color. If you want to protect it in its current state, apply some Case Color Lacquer, available from Brownell's and elsewhere.

In the event that you wanted to get some more versatility from it, you can have the barrel threaded for choke tubes.

That one is in excellent condition. Normally and old Topper has been around the block a few times.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
no frills basic utility gun....a tool....affordable, easy to use, simple, light weight and actually graceful lines....considered obsolete by the majority......the idea of only having one shot is an appalling concept to new generations for hunting or defense....

i actually have a lot of respect and fond memories for the single shots......i own several and still use them on occasion.

just go dove hunting with one of these light weight break-overs in 12 ga for a day or two and fire a couple of boxes........you will quickly understand why the 20 ga exists and is popular in the single shot format.....the recoil is more tolerable.

Reactions: JSP88

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great historical background info. Appreciate it.

Will look into the lacquer at some point as I would like to keep that coloring application in good shape. Not planning on shooting this one.

This will go in a case or, someday, a nice gun safe or vault.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
my understanding is the 20 ga version has enough chamber thickness that it can be drilled and tapped for a scope base and folks put optics on the 20 ga to improve their slug hunting....the poor man's special purpose slug gun.

...i have thought about it myself......but i am not in a "slug only" hunting area.....but it would be fun to play with.

Reactions: JSP88

· Registered
6,726 Posts
very nice.......do not run across many straight grip shotgun stocks nowadays....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.