National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone every heard of this stuff, used it for anything or know much about it? Our company has started using it inside front load truck bodies on the floor. It's common for the floors to wear out from the packing blade going back and forth and supposedly this stuff is wear resistant and actually gets stronger when used in this type of application.

Now for my question. I'm wondering if this would be suitable for making targets? I may be able to get some scrap pieces and I'm wondering if it will work or not or If I'll even be able to drill holes through it to hang them.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
26,496 Posts

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
26,496 Posts

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks. At first i was disappointed and then i read some of the comments.
"that doesnt look like hardox. they also make several different varieties. the hardox450tuf is comparable to ar500."

"i have hardox 400 plate. 223 - 308 even 338 at 100 yards does't leave any indent at all. maybe it is not what you where told it is "

It does look different than the stuff we have laying in our shop but that doesn't mean anything. The stuff we have is a redish color and is stamped hardox 450 in quite a few places on a 4x8 sheet.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just going to see if i can grab some scrap if they have any and try it out myself.

Reactions: Stamps6

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Talked to the mechanic who has been rebuilding the body floors and asked about scrap. He laughed and asked if i wanted targets and had already planned on trying some himself. When he gets time he's going to cut me a piece and put two holes in it to hang. This stuff has been cut with a plasma or torch so i won't know if that will have any affect on it or not. Hopefully I'll get it next week and i can try it out the week after during my vacation.

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the mechanic gave me some hardox targets the other day, finally took them out of my car. I'm on vacation next week so i plan on trying them out. I'll start with some pistol and work my way up if that does good. They are a little rough but they were free and he took the time to give them a quick grind of the edges, added some hang holes and even added a finishing touch.

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i went and did my first testing early this morning. Hit it with some 38 special, 45ACP and 7.62x25. The steel isn't as thick as i thought. I didn't measure it but it looks to be 1/4 or 5/16 at most. When i seen it at the shop i thought it was 3/8 or 1/2 but i believe there were two sheets stacked together. Either way none of the 200 or so rounds i threw at it gave it even the slightest dimple, dent or scratch front or back. for the 7.62x25 i used both my reloads and full on military surplus stuff which is very hot ammo. the 38 and 45 were just cast loads. Later this week I'll try some rifle. maybe start with some 30/30 cast loads and try some full power jacketed 30-06 or something if the 30-30 has no effect.

Being it was real early i brought my sifter and shovel and spent 15 minutes at the berm scrounging lead.

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
12,464 Posts
Looks like it's pretty tough. How is the hardox vs ar 500 steel?

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like it's pretty tough. How is the hardox vs ar 500 steel?
I;m not entirely sure yet. Gotta see what rifle rounds do and the last test will be some .223 to see if it holes it or dimples it. My 3/8 AR500 will dimple with .223 under 100yds and may even do it over 100. My plates are all pocked up for several years of abuse but no holes. Hordox is supposed to get stronger as it gets used but I'm not sure is impacts are considered being used. It's basically used as a friction plate, at least in the applications we use it for. Worst comes to worst i have some new free pistol plates.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So my testing is done. Hit the range this morning. First up was a 30-30. I was going to use some cast loads but i found a partial box of 150 JRN that had a 4 year old date so i figured use them up first. Absolutely zero damage at 100yds. next up i used a 30-06 with 165 gr bullets. 4 hits and 4 dents so i stopped there. I used the rest of the 30-06 and .223 rounds just nailing some rocks at the 400yds mark and called it a morning......after scrounging some more lead of course. So anyway it looks like i have some pistol and slower speed rifle targets. I'll have to ask the mechanic if they have any thicker pieces and if so I'll have to try this again but jump right to the faster rounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts