National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-I What is everyone's opinion on handgun carry on College campuses. agree or disagree. why? should any extra handgun training be required to carry a handgun in such tight quarters? what does everyone think? -r-

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
If they are 21yrs old and certified why not :?: I don't think you should be allowed to teach untill you are a qualified marksman. Over in Israel they were having a problem with the towel heads blowing up schools. They armed the teachers and cured the problem. :D

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
I agree with it. So long as you qualify for the permit that is. I know you can carry at Colorado State University, but you cannot carry at Colorado University.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I believe that anyone that can qualify for a handgun license should be allowed to carry their gun anyplace. If they have a problem with that then change the training requirement to require some additional hours of shooting and class instruction for dealing with an armed response in the midst of a very public situation.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
There should be NO restrictions on where a legally armed citizen can carry.

I forget the actual number, but only fractions of a percent (I recall .7%) of CCW permits are revoked. And those can be partially attributable to the Domestic Violence rulings (pleading Guilty to a loud argument reported by neighbors, rather than messing with Court, negates your 2A rights).

We all know about the murders in Gun Free Zones, there are darn few examples of legal citizens gone amok.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Seems like a great idea to me. Mine is the only state where you can carry into any public school. :D :i:

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
I think that
made an excellent argument for carrying on campus. (Not the FBI agent)

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
I'd also like to state that the SCCC (Students for Concealed Carry on Campus) has grown astronomically since it was founded less than one year ago, at 19,000 members.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Cake said:
I'd also like to state that the SCCC (Students for Concealed Carry on Campus) has grown astronomically since it was founded less than one year ago, at 19,000 members.
This interest in firearms and personal protection on behalf of the young students of this great country soothes my soul. It is up to them to pick up the baton and run with it to protect their second amendment freedom. They will have quite an uphill climb to overcome the members of the teaching profession that are not in touch with the dangers that we face on the streets and the rest of the world today.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To reply somewhat to Baldy's remarks, I don't care how old you are, whether you're certified or not, where you are, you should carry, open or not. This whole thing about Concealed carry "permits" is unconstitutional. The government should just leave us alone. The second amendment is infringed by any and every gun law on the books, good or bad. I should be able to carry wherever the f*** I want.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Don't get upset Mr CJ as I do agree with you but in our society today it will never happen. Do you really think the the liberals would hold still for that. Places that have open carry and such are under attack all the time by the bunny huggers. This country is just about split between conservatives and liberals. There will have to be a big turn around if your ever going to get your God given rights in this country again.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Cake said:
I've met the president of the SCCC at George Mason University.

Andrew Dysart is an ex-marine, and has been pushig this locally.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Americans should have the right to defend themselves anytime anywhere, not just where the goverment ok's it but at all times everywhere. I believe I have heard of random shootings in all places we (Florida at least)cant carry, schools, polling places, government facilities, police station/jail, court, clubs/bars, sporting events or even places of nuisance I guess they mean a whorehouse by that ;) but damn its like they just pick places with the craziest people there and ban you from carrying your life insurance in your holster.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am for it as long as you are over 21 and can pass a basic safety course.
I like the idea of teachers/professors carrying.
I think law abiding citizens should be able to carry a gun where ever they go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do not feel that there should be open carry on campus, even if your state allows it everywhere else. I do believe that if you are a law abiding citizen and have your Concealed Permit, you should be able to carry concealed.

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
I think teacher's need to carry.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I took their class and passed their tests so why won't they let me carry anywhere? I would be happy to take additional training to make them feel warm and fuzzy.

·
Hunter of Ducks
677 Posts
I think that people in congested places need to have a higher level of shooting ability, in a school where the only thing between class rooms in a sheet of drywall/Sheetrock an maybe insulation then on the other side is 25-40 kids ?

they need to be more skilled.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, here I go jumping into the fire pit again...

NOBODY, yes, NOBODY should have a carry permit and be allowed to carry a firearm off of his own property with real, professional firearms instruction and traninig...

In my state, and others, you can get a permit to carry a concealed weapon,(the only way to carry here is concealed; no open carry) and then go buy a gun and carry it...Now that is STUPID!

If on the other hand, you are trained, have a permit to carry, then it may be a good thing. However, remember, college is a place of a lot of drinking and parties on campus with booze everywhere, so, there has to be some care and concern regarding guns and booze on campus...That's why most places don't allow carry in bars...

I would rather see trained and licensed professors at colleges be armed than students I think.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I would have no problem with the requirment of more training. I sort of agree with you about issuing CCWs to people and turning them loose with no class or training. It is sort of like selling a huge RV to some little old man with no driving school. In Michigan we have to take a class and pass a shooting test. I will admit, however, the test is very easy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts