National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No specific brand.... Just which do you prefer and why.
I'm a little better shot with a revolver, but prefer the automatic because of the hi capacity....

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Looks like we have another Taurus fan. I would take a revolver if it was a self defence matter. If I was plinking I would easily take the semi.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Travis said:
Looks like we have another Taurus fan.
LOL, I do own a couple of Taurus's.... So yes you could say I'm a Taurus fan.... But then again, I'm a fan of all guns! :-B-:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I would pick my kimber 45 acp if I needed to protect myself or my family. Just because I can shoot it better than most of my revolvers. My glocks throw more lead but I am a better shot with the 1911.

I too have a couple of Taurus revolvers but mine are older and are in 44 special and 22 mag.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I prefer a semi, probably because it's what I was taught to shoot with, and thus feel more comfortable with it. I think that's important in a self-defense situation.

Plinking, I like both...........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It really depends on what and why.
To just punch holes in a paper target a Ruger Convertible is a lot of fun. With the .22 LR cylinder you can shoot for hours for just a few bucks. Same with the Ruger GP 100. I seldon put a .357 round in it, .38 wadcutters are cheap and have little recoil.
Since my carry and deep conceal carry are both semi autos I shoot them at least once a month and follow with a good cleaning. That gives me fresh ammo and rotates the magazines out to let the springs return to relax state.
My sons both like the large caliber semis, when we shoot together I bring out my Colt Defender and we swap around with #1 sons H&K .45 and #2 sons Glock .45 gap.

I took both my boys to the range when they were too little to properly hold a .22 rifle. Before we left I put an old Stevens bolt action .22 on a rest and let them fire off a few rounds at metal spin targets at 50 yds. By the time they were ready for their own .22s they were so hooked on guns.
I think it's a parents responsibility, I saw a lot of single moms out with their sons and daughters. Our club had a big dad group for single moms that didn't feel comfortable with guns. They brought the kids out and the big dads furnished the .22s and rifles.
We have far too few female shooters. Gals like SheNine can do a lot to advance the sport.

·
Registered
236 Posts
For me it's a lot easier to shoot a revolver accurately, but I still prefer semi-autos. I have more fun shooting them and for self defence I'd like to have the high capacity of a 9mm semi-auto. Plus the ammo is cheap ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Baldy said:
What you have trained with is the most important factor. If you can keep 5 shots in a 4" circle at 10yds with either hand then you are doing the job.
The best way to put it is Shot Placement is King. Penatration is Queen and everything else is Angels Dancing on the Head of a Pin.
:---
Agreed,

that said, I've never had a revolver let me down.
Pull the triggger and it goes bang.
I still like my 1911's though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a lot like the "If you could only have one firearm..."
discussion.

In that event, it would be my Smith .44Mag Mountain Gun.

Doug

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I have carried the 5 shot J-frames for many years and I feel that has met my needs. Most weight around 20oz's or less. Even the Sp-101 5 shot weights in at about 27oz's. When you start getting over 30 oz,s in a packing gun you know it's there. I pack my S&W SC-PD Commander and it weights about 35oz's loaded. Two pounds on my hip is starting to get uncomfortable. That's what I was trying to say. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Baldy said:
I have carried the 5 shot J-frames for many years and I feel that has met my needs. Most weight around 20oz's or less. Even the Sp-101 5 shot weights in at about 27oz's. When you start getting over 30 oz,s in a packing gun you know it's there. I pack my S&W SC-PD Commander and it weights about 35oz's loaded. Two pounds on my hip is starting to get uncomfortable. That's what I was trying to say. :)
Stick with what you know"B" ?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Whatever works for you is the best solution! If you can put ten rounds of 22 cal into the center mass quickly maybe thats the best choice for you.

People who shoot with the 22 Ruger Auto get so proficent with it that they could most likely slam a whole clip into a 1" or 2" group pretty easy. A 5-10 shot group in the head will stop most home invasions quickly.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I carry an 8045 mini Cougar by Beretta. The weight is not an issue and I am 240# anyway. I have been carrying for nearly 40 years and small guns just don't feel right in my hand.
Yes I have one of the little .22 cal revolvers that used to come on the belt buckles (American Arms) but I would not want it for self defense. The kids bought it for me one Xmas for my collection. I had to put bigger grips on it to shoot it due to the size of my hands. Mine is the same brand but has the longer barrel than they one that sat on the buckle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
swimming?

simple...
which one would you rather fall in the river with?
stainless super redhawk, pour out the water and fire it
all dried out, squirt a little rem-oil
Ruger fans forgive me, it's not an expensive gun
1911? thing took me a happy hour to clean...

Stay out of the river?
working on that...

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you happen to be Jerry Miculek none of this matters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts