National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you hunted with a handgun for larger deer sized game? It is a separate season in some states and offers handgun owners an additional time to hunt over the traditional rifle season.

If Bow hunters have to stalk close or sit in a treestand to wait for a passing deer or Elk it seems like a handgun hunter would have a definite advantage over the bow? Your thoughts?

G

·
so far 2 WI whitetails , one was a smaller doe , neck shot from a tree stand with a Super Blackhawk 44mag with a aimpoint on it . had a few problems getting that shot as it was very quiet and when i started to bring the hammer back she would hear the sound , and look up at me i ended up waiting until I heard a airplane getting close and then used that sound to cover up the clicks as i cocked the hammer back , 1 shot thru the side of the neck and she dropped right where she was standing .

2nd deer was a nice 9 pt , he came out of the field just after 1st light , i took him thru the ribs at about 65 yards , gun was a Ruger Redhawk in 45colt with a Burris 2x7 on it , load was a Corbon 300 gr HP , he ran maybe 75 yards after the shot and drop in plain sight , right out in the field he had just came from , i was able to drive my truck right up to him , no dragging , that was nice ,,

sorry no pictures of either

G

·
the idea of a red dot for hunting with a handgun is very good. i'm not really experienced with hand guns because of the laws up here, probably fired fewer than 100 rounds in my life. but i'm selling and mounting more red dots all the time on rifles and the odd shotgun. with such minimal power there is far less noticable movement in your sight picture. i think that would be a big plus with a handgun.pblsyd

G

·
one of the best red dots is the Bushnell Holo sight & others that are of the same design , the reason for this is you have no tube to look thru , so in early mornings or late afternoon when its getting hard to see , if you can still see your target you can get on it with this type of reddot because there are no shadows or red glare that you can get in a tube type reddot ,

basically if you can see it you should be able to get on it, plus your eye allingment is not as critical as it is when useing a scope , with a normal pistol scope the distance from your eye and having it ling up correct is very important , no so much with the reddots

G

·
that's right hawk. there's no eye relief needed with a red dot. i think thats why a lot of my customers , who previously said they didn't like scopes, are starting to go for the red dot idea.they still seem to gather light early and late and some say they can hold the dot steadier on target. pblsyd

G

·
I've taken a number of mulies with my TC 7-30 Waters (and a couple of Whitetail, come to think of it, out of state) as well as mulies with my .44 Super Redhawk and a few with a personalized Super Blackhawk ... and when I was younger, I may have taken a few with a .357 .... but I won't admit to it.
:?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pblsyd said:
no can do anywhere in canada . restricted weapon!!!! pblsyd

In a large land mass such as Canada with few people, except for the large cities in the lower part of the country, why would the Government not see the need for at least a single action handgun to be carried for protection. You can't always have that rifle at the ready when ole grizz comes to call!!! Makes no sense to me!

Looks like a cookie cutter transfer of English law across the ocean direct to Canada and Australia with no regard for the differences in the three countries.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts