National Gun Forum banner

Hammer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
818 Posts
Little confused on this poll. :?: This is the revolver section and you're asking about a hammer which ALL revolvers whether SA or DA have? Or are you meaning a hammer with or without a spur? In that case I choose both. Spur for SA and no spur for DA. :D When I'm 21 and get my CCW permit, I plan on cutting the spur off my Security Six hammer.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I have had two Smith and Wesson revolvers that did not have hammers. A model 640 and a model 442. I sold them both after working with them and understanding the concept of how they are intended to work.

I bought a model 38 which has the concealed hammer and I find it fits me better. Its an ugly revolver but I like the option of being able to cock that hammer if I choose. But it will fire in a coat pocket and I don't have to worry about the hammer snagging on the coat fabric.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Dethlokk said:
Well, there are spurred hammers and there are "spurless" or "shrouded" hammers.

I think I prefer the spurred hammer types for the looks of them, but for practical purposes, the shrouded hammers do make it easier to draw from under clothing, as it's one less thing to get snagged on something.
That's it in a nut shell and I agree 100%. The old Security-Six and Speed-Six had spurless models also. :-B-:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
I have a 22 and need the hammer. In DA, it does not work all the time. In SA, works every time. The hammer come back futher in SA and give more energy and make the gun go BOOM every time.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I like to have a hammer with a spur. I always carry in a holster or in a way that the spur doesn't get in the way.

That being said, I will probably get a shrouded hammer Smith and Wesson just cause I want one.

·
Super Moderator
5,906 Posts
Having had a hammer on all my revolvers for years, I must say that there is a plus to having a hammer. Thinking about sending my pistol in to have a hammer installed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
It is the semi section, but to answer the question, I prefer a hammer with a spur whether SA or DA.
I don't know of anyone that only shoots DAO when they are at the range unless it is for competetive practice reasons.
I've got one DAO and won't buy another, although it is a nice shooting piece and has a great trigger.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I always shoot my carry Revolver DAO, since it has a Bobbed Hammer, and if I need to use it for SD, then that is the way I would be shooting it. Doesn't make sense to practice with a gun in a way that you are not likely to use it in SD.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Wow, talk about resurecting the dead....but, since we have i'll play along. I'm a carpenter, us wood butchers have to have our hammers, we're lost without em.

·
לשאת מקל
136 Posts
There is a great free educational, informational document from Wikipedia that explains firearm triggers. There is a paragraph on striker vs. hammer. Perhaps there may be some useful information for some. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)

I'm a hammer man! Walk tall and carry a hammer... Trigger or trigger~less....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts