National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father passed and left me this 410. I have his registration Form #1 stamped by the IRS and the ATF dated in April 1961. I have to say, this gun is an absolute blast to shoot!. I have no need and want to sell this gun. My questions are, 1) what do I need to do to "legally" sell this gun, 2) what is this gun worth when in excellent condition, and 3) what is the best way to find a buyer? Thanks for your help and information.

·
Registered
43 Posts
well if you're not going to sell it, why look for a buyer and how to sell it. The post is ironic. A pic might help a ton.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,105 Posts
I have his registration Form #1 stamped by the IRS and the ATF dated in April 1961.
Excellent! It is registered. This critical. Without the Form #1 it is contraband.

Does it look like this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ironic? I'm sorry, I'm confused; what from my post gave you the idea that I don't want to sell? To be clear, yes, I want to sell. I do not know how to transfer/update the registration, I do not know how to price the gun, and I do not know how to search for a buyer (especially since such "different" hand gun!). As for pics, I assume anyone with the requested knowledge of this gun knows what it looks like and there lots of pics on line for those who don't.

·
56,105 Posts
Pictures are of vital importance.

The H & R Handy-Gun was made from 1921 to 1934 and was produced in 3 different models with 9 different type variations. More than 50 different Handy-Gun variations have been noted.

Reactions: DPM

·
56,105 Posts
Look here for transfer laws: Search Results | ATF

Value in the condition you describe? Up to $3500, maybe more - maybe less, depending on condition.

Reactions: Linn1456

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is not a model number on the gun that I can see. It says "H.&R. "Handy Gun"" on the left side, "410-12m/m CHOKE" on the top, and "Harrington & Richardson ARMS CO WORCHESTER, MASS. U.S.A." on the right. This pic is not my gun but this is what it looks like.

Attachments

·
56,105 Posts
Your (copied) pictures and your description (however limited) gave me guidance on retail price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My father passed and left me this 410. I have his registration Form #1 stamped by the IRS and the ATF dated in April 1961. I have to say, this gun is an absolute blast to shoot!. I have no need and want to sell this gun. My questions are, 1) what do I need to do to "legally" sell this gun, 2) what is this gun worth when in excellent condition, and 3) what is the best way to find a buyer? Thanks for your help and information.
That statement said you didn't want to sell it, but it's all good. Sounds like Popeye has you some figures. Sorry I can't help you on this one. I have no idea what it's worth.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
That statement said you didn't want to sell it, but it's all good. Sounds like Popeye has you some figures. Sorry I can't help you on this one. I have no idea what it's worth.
I have no need and want to sell this gun.
If he had put "for it" between NEED ans AND there would have been no confusion here.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
It is a beautiful old piece .... If your Father wanted you to have it there must have been a reason , Perhaps you should keep it .

Reactions: DPM

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have no need and want to sell this gun.
If he had put "for it" between NEED ans AND there would have been no confusion here.
Yeah, funny how one word can change the meaning.lol After I read it the last time I can see what he meant. But who am I to complain. I am terrible at grammar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes it is a nice gun - why would I sell it? My father had LOTS of nice guns and I, and my brothers, are keeping the ones most suited to our interests. This gun is cool, but let's face it, it's best use is for varmits and I don't have a lot of those in the city. I plan to sell and then to buy a semi-automatic that is more geared towards self-defense (after selling, I will return to this forum and ask for your sage advice on what I should buy!). Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No need to wait till you sell it to post, keep posting and talkin to us. Sorry for all the confusion I caused. If you plan on buying an AR type weapon, you will be hooked then.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
25,426 Posts
Legally you can't sell it. It's not registered to you and it is illegal for the H&R to be in your possession. If found in your possession, you could be arrested and charged with a felony and the H&R would be subject to seizure and forfeiture by the ATF. The name on the Form 1 is that of your father's ...... he is the only person allowed ownership and possession.

Your best course of action is to return it to the executor of the estate IMMEDIATELY.

It is the responsibility of the executor of the estate to maintain custody and control of the firearms and to transfer the firearms registered to the decedent. Then to legally transfer the ownership of the H&R, fill out and submit a Form 5 to the ATF for approval. http://www.titleii.com/pdf/010205-Form5.pdf This form requires the same background checks and chief LEO signature as if you were buying one for yourself. The good news is the transfer to you is tax exempt!

AFTER the Form 5 has been approved and returned, the H&R can be transferred to you, since you are the new registered owner. At that point, you can sell it.

Transfers of National Firearms Act Firearms in Decedents? Estates | ATF

Reactions: DPM and Belt Fed

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
25,426 Posts
In addition to my post above ....... this is why most people are using NFA trusts for their NFA purchases. With an NFA trust, the trust is the actual owner of the NFA item ...... and everyone listed in the trust has legal access to the NFA item. When the "grantor" or "trustee" of the trust dies, the NFA item is still owned by the trust and everyone else listed in the trust continues to have legal access and possession of the NFA item. There is no transfer required, since the trust maintains ownership.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hmmmm.... never thought of the barrel too short. you are 100% correct. He can't sell it. I haven't messed with NFA regulations in years. what is the legal barrel length on a shotgun?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hmmmm.... never thought of the barrel too short. you are 100% correct. He can't sell it. I haven't messed with FFA regulations in years. what is the legal barrel length on a shotgun?
Tried to edit the FFA to NFA, it won't let me edit or post smileys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The legal term is a "short-barreled shotgun". (National Firearms Act of 1936) According the NFA 36, a shotgun must have a barrel length of a minimum of eighteen inches and an overall length of 27 inches, I believe. Anything shorter without the proper procedure and paperwork and it's a federal felony punishable by ten years and a $250,000 fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts